Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Top Dog

I love the Saratoga Horseworks coats I have for my dogs. They are very light and breathable, which means they don't hold water near the dog. Water on the skin just heats up and they have a layer of hot water on them. Lots of studies were done prior to the Atlanta Olympics on how to cool a horse effectively. You don't want them wet - you want them drying constantly.

I've heard good things about the Herta, and I may give them a whirl, as I have someone who is willing to get them wholesale and sell them to us for zero profit. For now, the Horseworks blankets reflect the sun beautifully off my dark colored dogs, and I can wet them and let them dry fairly quickly.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Not a Border Collie

I just bought Quinn a Hurtta cooling coat and while I haven't used it yet or seen it in action (I decided to go for it after hearing really good reviews) the fit is amazing. Quinn has proven to be nearly impossible to fit as she is so long in the body but also so narrow and lean. The cooling coat is the perfect length and provides a lot of coverage. It's very light and seems to sit off of her quite well, too.

In the future I would like to get a reflective coat for her just in cases where I can KEEP her cool and don't/can't wet her, but I'm very happy with the fit and design of the Hurtta.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 07-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
I just bought Quinn a Hurtta cooling coat
I saw that, you must have been feeling rich lately and wanted to fix that, a cooling coat AND a life jacket from them
Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Top Dog

Do these really work, make a noticeable difference for the dogs?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:23 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
The Saratoga makes a huge difference for Mira, and a noticeable but not as significant difference for Kim.

Mira is a single-coated black dog. The white alone helps to keep her much cooler, and the evaporation of the water really keeps her much cooler still.

Kim is a very dense-coated, thick double-coated gold color dog. The white doesn't make as big of a difference (though it does seem to help). The evaporation of the coat's water keeps the surface of her coat cooler and does seem to help her as well but the effect is not as immediate...the biggest difference it makes is if I get it on her *before* she's hot in the first place...seems to prevent her from getting as warm. Once she's already hot it helps but is not as effective as on Mira.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Top Dog

The Saratoga coat makes a huge difference on Meg. Like Mira, she's a dark colored, relatively thin-coated dog. I will put it on her when we leave the tent at an agility trial if it is hot and sunny, and not pull it off until the dog before us is on the line. Even in the sun, she will be cool on her back if I put my hand under it. If it is especially hot, I'll get it wet and toss it in my cooler for a bit, but I love that it works even dry.

Gusto has only worn his once, as he just got it. He has more trouble with the heat than Meg does, so I'm hoping it works as well for him. He's darker and has a thinner coat, so I'm hoping.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Not a Border Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I saw that, you must have been feeling rich lately and wanted to fix that, a cooling coat AND a life jacket from them
I'm not sure if I was feeling especially rich, but I am now feeling very poor LOL. Poor but loving Quinn's new gear!

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 07-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Duke's ruffwear swamp cooler cooling jacket makes a big difference for him, he's a larger mixed breed primarily all black with a short double coat and he pants much less in hot weather when wearing it.

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Oh most definitely! Even dry it works great for End, who is mostly black with dark rust trim! I placed my hand between the coat and her taking it off a couple weeks ago and she was nice and cool under the coat, compared to where the coat doesn't quite cover her behind.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Top Dog

I have a Hurtta cooling coat for Zuma and will be using it for the first time today at her disc dog comp, I'll give review when we are back!