Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Default Ok... People are getting carried AWAY! I was so pissed!!!

We had Mindy with us and stopped for a quick bite to eat....

Parked in full shade, windows down couple inches, truck was cozy, the interior temp on the gauge was 19!!! Mindy was not panting at ALL or in any distress.... I checked on her once in the half hour we were there all fine....

Here are pictures of the truck where it was parked and Mindy inside before I opened a door...

Someone called the cops on us!!!!

Sigh.... We had to wait, fill out reports and so on....

I will say the officer was irritated...

I won't repeat what I said to the "self proclaimed AR" woman who called!!! It can't be repeated here!

ETA Sorry can a mod change pissed if it's not ok in the title? Still kinda wound... And can't edit the title on tapatalk
Old 07-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Twin 2

This is what terrifies me about having the dogs out with us. If we ever have to run in somewhere and leave the dogs in the car for a minute somewhere were we know they will be fine I'm worried someone is going to call the cops.

People seem OBSESSED with it (along with dogs walking on pavement) this summer and I really don't want to deal with cops when my perfectly fine dog is in the car for 10 minutes in the shade on a normal summer day.

I'm so sorry you had to deal with this but I'm glad nothing came of it! Did the women apologize or maintain her saving the dog stance?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Yeah, it really, really drives me insane how stupidly quick draw people are about dogs in cars this summer. I put a big FB status about it the other day. I am now paranoid about even taking my dogs out and about for fear I run into 7/11 for a moment, leave it running, and risk an idiot breaking in.

At least they didn't break your window... Sucks. :/ did the officer say you were at fault?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Top Dog

That is irritating, and scary, I'd imagine.

I've been chewed out for walking my dog on pavement in the summer... when it was 70 out.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

The officer was apologetic and irritated with the caller, who maintained her "saving the dogs" stance....

You know, I hate that people are behaving this way, the cops ate going to get tired of it fast.... And when a dog truly needs help it will be like the boy who cried Wolf....

If they'd broke the Window god help them, my hubby would have lost it...
Old 07-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Top Dog

People just do not think, simple as that. They have the general rule (do not leave a dog in a hot car) but it's as if they don't understand how it works. As in, the dog actually has to be hot enough to cause it distress. To them it's just:

"DOG + CAR= ABUSE DEATH CRUELTY OUTRAGE REQUIRES IMMEDIATE INTERVENTION"

but it isn't very hot out and the dog is in the shade and the windows are open...

but the dog isn't panting, is not showing any distress

Yes people must err on the side of caution and be vigilant but the hysterics are universally annoying and imo disappointing lol
Old 07-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

That blows! People are so dumb!

Someone broke the window of a friend's car because they saw crates in the back. Best part is that the crates were empty.

It would suck to be a cop this summer.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post

Someone broke the window of a friend's car because they saw crates in the back. Best part is that the crates were empty.

Did they know who did it and did they have to pay? Because that's ridiculous I'm pretty sure 'saving the dog from heat' requires there to be a dog.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post

OMG!!!

I'd have lost it!!!!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Top Dog

This sort of thing drive me crazy. It really does. Someone was just telling me about how a woman left their dog in the car in the parking lot of Walmart a few days ago when it was so hot. And people took the dog out and called the cops and how can people be so irresponsible? Then I find out, this happened before 8am in the morning. No way it was too hot for the dog to be in the car so early with the windows done. People have gotten totally stupid over the car thing. And now the hot pavement thing too...

I had the cops called on me a years ago for running into a store for like 5 minutes with the windows almost all the way down. I had a puppy (Cherry) with me in a crate and an adult dog seat belted in the back. Cherry apparently started shrieking because she didn't want to be in a crate which drew attention to them. I'm pretty sure one of the store employees called the cops on me. I had to take the dogs out so the cop could determine if they were in distress and the store employee that I think called came out with a bowl of water for them...which they weren't remotely interested in. The cop lectured me about leaving dogs in a "hot car" (which wasn't the case) but had to admit that they did not appear to be in distress.