Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Top Dog

Well they diagnosed McKinley with gastroenteritis possibly due to combo of vaccines and getting into food. They were not sick before the vaccines. The fecal came back no worms but wormed both as a precaution. McKinley is on carafate to sooth his gastro tract and antibiotics so nothing secondary happens. He was slightly dehydrated because we got him to the EVET right away. We would have never been able to wait until Monday and as everyone knows everything happens on the weekend. He has not vomited since he got home now his stools are fine. We are not looking to switch right now but the vet wants to slowly add in Iams and I don't agree with it. The vaccines are scary they have had one set from the breeder and two sets from the vet they are due the last set in three weeks then rabies at 16 weeks. I wonder do they even need the last set of shots?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:22 PM
not so newby

Is there a reason the vet is recommending Iams? Are they familiar with the premium foods on the market? I'm asking because my last vet was only really familiar with the junky foods, and thought the food I was feeding Eagle Pack Holistics wasn't as good as Science Diet.

I second the other advice on Cal Natural.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Top Dog

Poor buddy. I hope he feels better soon.

I'd talk to your vet -- I believe 3 rounds of the core vaccines is the norm (I know I just did 2 + titers (for distemper and parvo)), but maybe they were vaccinated for something other than the usual distemper, parvo, etc.? I'd suggest a conversation with the vet, too, about whether he or she recommends any non-core vaccines (e.g. lyme) and why -- this will vary by area (and McKinley's reaction may impact your decision to give any "extra" shots).

Is he still vomiting? Have you thought about canned food, maybe? They tend to have fewer ingredients and can be more palatable for dogs.

I'm glad they have you to help out.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Have you considered premade raw?

I say premade for the esse of it... I don't feed raw, mainly because it overwhelms me, but this seems to be a very valid reason for you to look into it.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-10-2012, 11:55 PM
and Fozzie B!

Gonzo got gastroenteritis when he was eating Orijen. Two of my friends' puppies got gastroenteritis on Orijen. I know it works great with some dogs, but I see a really scary trend with that food.

I highly advise Nature's Variety Prairie. I've fostered 5 puppies on it, and all of them did well! 2 of which had liquid diarrhea when they were eating Pedigree in their first foster home.

Huskies are known for sensitive digestive systems. They tend to do REALLY well on raw. I would recommend pre-made raw if they can afford it, or trying a few other premium brands that aren't as nutrient dense and rich as Orijen. Natural Balance & Nature's Variety are great brands that have many formulas, one is sure to work for them! I would buy a couple small bags and add little by little to the chicken and rice. The answer is NOT switching them to a low quality kibble that is packed with stool hardeners. Just because the stool looks firm does not mean it's doing the dog any good inside. Iams is really, really bad. Like a half-step above Ol Roy, ew.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 AM
Top Dog

Not reading all the responses, but from my personal experience, if all the food are "chicken" or "poultry" formula, GET THEM OFF IT! Go to Lamb, Beef, or even Fish. It took me 5 years before I finally decided to give Jinjo a food overhaul with all his issues, I was stupidly naive and listened to my vet on dog food, he started at around 10 months with bad issues, vomiting and bad diarrhea so much he wouldn't eat, they told up boiled chicken and rice then put him on science diet sensitive stomach. He still for all those year had a bout no less than once a week of throwing up and had constant on-off diarrhea. When I finally decided to do something about his diet, it took a year before I found, OH! His problem is white meats, that's it! Poultry, Pork. He was also pegged with his other allergy issues as being caused by vaccines.

So, with that, I hope you can find the problems soon, but I HIGHLY suggest you go with a completely different protein source, preferable a red meat and no white meats. And make sure the food you choose doesn't have hidden poultry in it! And also, be VERY cautious with future vaccines! If you can, try a minimal vaccine schedule.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:30 AM
love the fluff

If I fed kibble, I sure wouldn't feed anything by Iams. There are too many other quality foods out there to look into.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

I second pretty much everything everyone else has said.

For limited ingredient diets, I really like Instinct LID, Canine Caviar, and PureVita grain-free. All are ALS formulas, so they would be fine for a growing puppy. I would look into adding digestive enzymes and probiotics as well.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Top Dog

No way in hell would I touch Iams. Any Iams. It would make my husky mixes SO SO SICK!!!!!

Just get those poor Sibes on prey model raw already. Its what they do best on. You'll have issues until you do. I'm not trying to sound pushy... its just the truth about their systems.
www.preymodelraw.com

Also, I strongly recommend NOT going with premade raw. If you are going to have issues with raw it will be on premade raw. They probably will still have tummy issues on premade raw. You have no guaruntee whats actually in those grinds and they negate some of the best benefits of raw: the mental stimulation and satisfaction of eating REAL food and the dental benefits of eating as canids are meant to eat.

My girlies split an elk tongue this morning. Tonight they get green tripe/trachea/gullet mix. NOM!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
No way in hell would I touch Iams. Any Iams. It would make my husky mixes SO SO SICK!!!!!

Just get those poor Sibes on prey model raw already. Its what they do best on. You'll have issues until you do. I'm not trying to sound pushy... its just the truth about their systems.
www.preymodelraw.com

Also, I strongly recommend NOT going with premade raw. If you are going to have issues with raw it will be on premade raw. They probably will still have tummy issues on premade raw. You have no guaruntee whats actually in those grinds and they negate some of the best benefits of raw: the mental stimulation and satisfaction of eating REAL food and the dental benefits of eating as canids are meant to eat.
And my dog (with gastro issues) did much, much better on premade raw than frankenprey. I think it was just too much at once for him.

Honestly, given that the owner is a young man with two new high energy young puppies, I'm not sure it's the right time to figure out prey model raw, especially since you have to be so careful about the calcium/phosphorus ratios in puppies. I have a (single) five month old puppy, and when she was younger, I couldn't focus on much more than potty training/mouthing/impulse control (and keeping myself calm!).

But I also like Orijen and don't like Nature's Variety (and feed both Orijen and premade raw to my puppy!) -- so, obviously, there is no one right way for us all.