Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Let it be

Default How soon would you add another dog?

Pretty obvious this was inspired by another thread.

How soon would you add another dog after one left you? If the dog passed? Ran away? Was rehomed? Are any of these different or do you have a period of time you just need between dogs?

For me if Bandit passed on right now I would not get another for years. I am in no place to add anything new. I love my dog the only reason I have a dog currently is because he was there before, I can make it work and I love him with all my heart. If he were to die I would not be very responsible to add another.

We are all different. So, explain. Would you get a new one right away or wait?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

When Grimm passed, we got Nog within a few weeks. Most of my dogs do their own things and aren't very 'hang out with each other' (except the poodles, who sleep together) So she was very depressed and mopey without a dog friend. Nog had exactly the right personality to fill that void. We did not get him just for her, of course. But it was the deciding factor.

But unless something happened to either one of them (which would put us in the same situation), we'd wait a bit.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Top Dog

I consider all the dogs I had at my mother's MY dogs. But I'm currently pursuing adding another dog to our two-person one-dog household, and it's not been that long since I moved out. If I could take one of the girls, or Goose, I would. But I can't, and it's completely out of my hands which is why I think I'm okay looking into another dog.

If I lost Zander? In any way, shape, or form? I'd be devastated and completely inconsolable for probably years. I'm scared that any dog I got after him would be me trying to find another Zander. And it wouldn't be fair to the dog at all.

I mean, if he runs, I freak. Even if he is caught fairly quickly. For hours, I bawl just over the THOUGHT of having possibly lost him. No way could I run out and get another dog if he was suddenly gone.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

For me would totally depend on the situation. Now, I would only rehome for pretty serious issues so if it was something with the dog needing something extreme that I couldnt meet I may get a new dog fairly soon. If it were something like we lost our house or a chronic illness etc then obviously would not add a new dog while that was an issue.

For death of a dog....again, depends....most likely would be pretty quick if I had no dogs, if I had one or two it would depend.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I want to say I'd wait a while, and that's what I feel like I'd do... but if a dog came to me needing a home shortly after, I probably wouldn't/couldn't say no.

I've always added ferrets shortly after one passed (3 days after Rogue was euthed I got Harley, about 2 1/2 months after Rascal passed Ella came here)... but both were also kind of needing a home (also, for Harley, Ren NEEDED a friend after Rogue passed, and that wasn't Rascal -- and Harley NEEDED a friend after her lifelong cagemate passed)

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Top Dog

I cannot stand myself without a dog in the household. Preferably two at least.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Top Dog

I have not yet lost or rehomed a dog (I can't imagine any circumstance in which I would rehome, to be entirely honest), but I expect if I had only one dog and I lost it, I would most likely add another quite soon after. It isn't that I wouldn't be completely grief-stricken (because of course I would be), but I think it would be very difficult for me to keep an empty house and not be inexorably lonely.

If I had more than one, however, and the remaining dog(s) wasn't suffering due to the loss of one of his companions, I think I would probably allow myself to mourn for much longer, possibly up to several years before adding another.

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Resident fainting goat

I think I would wait a few months.. around 3 or so probably.

Different people deal with that kind of stuff in different ways..but I think I would need some time on my own.
Same thing goes for breakups I guess lol I have a friend who jumps back into dating/another relationship with ease. I take weeks before I can even look at a couple holding hands and not feel like I'm gonna cry.. let alone date lol

I would want to start with a new dog fresh and I know I'm the kind of person, who if rushed into getting a new dog while the wound is still healing .. would feel like I'm kind of tainting this new dog relationship with the old one.

So yea, over-emotional Fran would wait lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:04 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Depends on how soon another came into my life but s far as how soon I'd seek one out, probably not long. I would take however much time I needed to grieve and then start searching. I used to think otherwise, but I have found that I NEED another dog to help me grieve. It helps me, and comforts me to have another dog around.

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 07-08-2012, 08:07 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

It would all just depend on my situation.

If I'm rehoming a dog, it is because something about the situation is NOT working. That doesn't mean I'm not suitable for a dog...it means I'm not suitable for that specific dog. For example, Chloe is going to stay with my parents until at least December of this year after I move out. I'll try her out in my apartment when I'm done with school and my schedule is less insane...but if it isn't working, she'll go back to my parents, most likely permanently (especially since I'm anticipating the navy-spouse lifestyle and she needs to not have things constantly changing). And if that is the case, I'll definitely be looking for a new dog.

Blackie has been the only dog of ours that has passed on, and I've been wanting to replace him for at least the past year and a half (he's been gone two years), but the situation hasn't been right. After we returned Sadie for further training at Leader Dogs, it was a few months after I really started searching for a new dog.