Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Not a Border Collie

I try not to encourage stuff like that with my girls, I like my space LOL. My one mare however, if you are facing away from her, will put her head over your shoulder and tuck her chin against you. She's also been known to go from the side - put her head under your arm, tilt her head and put her chin against your tummy.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 07-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I try not to encourage stuff like that with my girls, I like my space LOL
I was trying to figure out if I was the only one like that! Tristan gives his kisses on command, and I can hug him to my heart's content, but for the most part, he doesn't push into my space. I worked with way too many pushy horses over the years managing barns, I swore up and down mine wouldn't be one of them.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I was trying to figure out if I was the only one like that! Tristan gives his kisses on command, and I can hug him to my heart's content, but for the most part, he doesn't push into my space. I worked with way too many pushy horses over the years managing barns, I swore up and down mine wouldn't be one of them.
Yeah my old horse Cougar was very affectionatte and was very polite about it so I didn't mind him doing it. I didn't mind the old pony nearly knocking me over to itch her head because she was also a very kind horse who was just itchy. 99.9% of other horses though I am not okay wiht invading my space. You need to know me and have abond with me to get in my grill like that.

My sister's horse Lily gives kisses on command and that horse and I instantly clicked. She will smooch my cheek and hang over my shoulder. Her pasture mate Buddy is not allowed to even step up that close to me because he is so rude. Give him an inch he takes am ile.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Not a Border Collie

You're definitely not the only one! I love my girls, they're my babies, but I have no problem chasing them off a bit if they start getting dull to my personal space! I hate o say it but I cannot stand a horse that walks close or has to be touching you at all times. I absolutely let my girls cuddle and be affectionate (I have one mare who loves to blow air in my face and nuzzle my neck & hair, another who loves to nuzzle my stomach and chest at any opportunity) and I do let them approach me nose-first as long as they're respectful and not pushy. They have earned that privilege though because I know them all so well and they all have super ground manners (the very first horse my boyfriend ever led at a walk & trot and groomed and interacted in the paddock with was my at-the-time 2 year old). Any new horse I work with, especially one that's maybe a little more dull and pushy, is absolutely not allowed to come into my bubble unless I walk up to him. Even then it's a little while before I start feeding treats or playing with noses or anything else that can encourage a horse to walk into me and/or be pushy.

My mom actually turned down a barn manager position not too long ago solely off of the fact that she'd be handling big pushy hunters and jumpers!

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Felurian

Thunder's a gentleman He always check for permission and is extremely gentle. Never thought I would like a horse as much as I like him. <3

He did try to get in the car with me one day, lol.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-11-2012, 04:28 AM
Plus One

2 of the horses will but only if they're in the stable and that's just so they can push me away and escape. I don't tolerate it from them whatsoever.

Tiger will but she doesn't approach me to do but if I'm giving her affection anyway she will. I generally have no issues with handling her whatsoever so she can get away with it.

Captain would probably do but he's got very little manners whatsoever apart from don't kick and bite (which are important!!) and has no respect for anyone so he's not allowed to even try.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Just try me..

I try not to encourage it either, it can be dangerous. That said Senn will stop eating her grain to love on a human. But of the dozens (or more.. ack I am old) of horses I have looked after here or as a barn manager I have never met one so into people. I heartily agree with BB that its something they learn that gets them something they want from humans (a scratch, a cookies) Horses don't hug each other, mares don't hug foals.. hugging for comfort is primarily a primate obsession lol. We do a really good job of promoting it in other species though
Old 07-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
That said Senn will stop eating her grain to love on a human.
So will Tristan but I guess that isn't saying much with him If he's eating his grain, nobody in the barn is allowed to move or make noise or blink.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:56 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

i have no personal horses of my own but i work with a barn full of crazy race horses so no i dont let any of them near enough to me to find out off they 'hug' IMHO horses arent dogs, i dont really want to have such a space invading relationship with an animal that can so easily kill me lol.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I try not to encourage it either, it can be dangerous. That said Senn will stop eating her grain to love on a human. But of the dozens (or more.. ack I am old) of horses I have looked after here or as a barn manager I have never met one so into people. I heartily agree with BB that its something they learn that gets them something they want from humans (a scratch, a cookies) Horses don't hug each other, mares don't hug foals.. hugging for comfort is primarily a primate obsession lol. We do a really good job of promoting it in other species though
I disagree. Horses hug. Like this: I always gave my horses hugs.

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson