Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-16-2012, 12:42 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but French Bulldogs have really caught my eye lately! So that may be something you'd like to look into.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 07-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Too bad SisMorphine isn't here to expound on the Alapaha
^^ Too bad she isn't around in general. She is hilarious. <3
Old 07-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Top Dog

The Johnson line has gone to ****. They are now bred for their big heads and wide chests (and bowed elbows...that looks cool, ya know?).

I, personally, haven't seen a single quality working bulldog from the Johnson line. With that said, I have seen many wonderful hybrids, and I know a lady up in Canada with some of the best ABs I've ever seen.

The modern-day AB is a recreation of what the breed was supposedly like back in the olden days. The modern-day recreation is a mix of many breeds, including the American Pit Bull Terrier, the Saint Bernard, and even the Pug. Talk about variety! O_O

As for their nature, ABs are definitely guardian-type dogs. Strangers need to be thoroughly investigated, therefore they won't be greeted by happy tails and slobbery kisses. Most have pretty high prey drive, and many make **** fine hunting dogs. I've had the pleasure of hog hunting with some of the finest ABs (IMO) around. They are also fun-loving, have lots of energy, and enjoy spending time with their people.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:33 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Could anybody point me in the direction of a good breeder (I'm not interested in protection work, or strictly hunting...but an all around solid dog with a good off switch) in the midwest area? IN/OH/IL/MI/WI/KY...

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 07-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Top Dog

blackrose, I'm going to ask around to a few hunting friends. Since many of them travel to hunt (hogs), they will probably know of some. If I can find anything, I'll pm you.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Active Pup

I only have experience with American Bulldogs and Pitt bulls. I have raised pitt bulls for about 17 years. That has been my only choice of dog forever, until my husband bought me my American for mother's day. I have been sold since day one. I think I have found my new preferred breed. Pitt Bulls in my experience are good with kids, and if raised with cats..yes even kittens, they will even get a long with them. I even had a pitt bull who helped me save a litter of kittens by helping keep them clean while I bottle fed and he was male which made it even more strange lol. Pitt bulls are loyal and will give their life for you. Protective but can be friendly at the same time..but the downfall..they are stubborn!!! It Takes an enormously amount of time to raise a well behaved and trained pitt bull. I got my American at six weeks and he already listened so well and it was not due to the person who my husband bought him from. He was under nourished and not socialized at all. He was skiddish of us and very scared of human contact. I was very weary of how he would turn out. Within one night he was out of it and a totally new and improved puppy. He learns very fast.He has a wonderful personality, athletic, loves to play...and has been no where near as hard headed and stubborn as my pit bulls have been! I wanted to get rid of him when my husband brought him home because I didn't really know about those dog and been a one type dog forever. I am so glad I didn't and I am so sold on this breed and is now my preferred!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Oh man, you've been in "pitt" bulls for 17 years, still spell it that way, and still think they should be "protective"?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Active Pup

You Have to excuse my Louisiana Bayou Twang sometimes. When I am writing to other people online I try to keep in mind that I am writing to people that are all over the world and try to speak and spell as normal as possible but sometimes it gets the best of me! Where I come from that's how just about everyone spells it..its like a trademark or something I really don't know why. And to clarify, I don't think Pitt bulls should be protective..they are naturally protective. That is where irresponsible pit bull owners come into play...Some people try to train their pit bulls to be protective and to protect. In reality their are just making mean vicious dogs that are really going to hurt someone. No training is needed for them..if you treat them right and give them love they will be loyal to the endand let no harm come to you.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:36 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Oh man, you've been in "pitt" bulls for 17 years, still spell it that way, and still think they should be "protective"?
Yes, for 17 years. Also, you can google "pitt" bulls and it is a common spelling, especially where I live down south Louisiana. And just to clarify, I am not sure what you are implying about "you still think they "should" be protective." But if you are implying that I make them mean, you are wrong. Actually this is where the irresponsible pitt bull owners come into play. They get a pitt bull and train it to guard, and make them mean trying to get a good guard dog. Really, all they end up with are nasty ferocious dogs that will attack anything in their path. Which will only lead to fines and the dog being put to sleep. Pitt bulls don't need that. They are naturally protective. Shower them with love, affection,and a happy home and they will dedicate their life to you and let no harm come your way. To help clarify a little bit more here's an example.

Pitt bulls trained to guard, fight and made mean=
A dog who will tear anything from limb to limb who enters the yard such as another animal,kid, or adult.

Pitt bulls who are loved and treated like a normal pet instead of like a weapon=

A dog who will allow anyone in the house as long as they are let in and not climbing through a window. A dog who loves people and enjoys meeting new people as long as they keep there hands to their self and not on the dogs family. This comes naturally to them, needs not to be taught.

There is "protective" and "ferocious"..there is a difference.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Top Dog

i think she is referring to the fact there is no such breed as pitt bull, it is a generic misnomer applied to any big blockheaded dog by people ignorant of what an American Pit Bull Terrier really is.