Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-08-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm All Ears

Default I feel like a horrible dog owner :(

I came home a couple days ago from vacation and my dogs were staying at my dad's and we were having a pet sitter come in to watch them. They did fine but I've noticed my dogs itching a lot more than usual. I figured they got fleas probably from dad's indoor/outdoor cat. Finally found some flea dirt on them both and so I put some topical flea stuff on them both and Mia is acting like I killed her.

She's been sulking and hiding most the day and for the first couple hours after putting it on her, she was pacing and just couldn't settle at all. She'd lie down then get up, then go in the kennel and dig. Then jump on the couch. Jump off the couch. Do laps around the room. Then she finally just hid under the coffee table (which the bottom is only a couple inches off the ground, she shoved herself back there). Her tail has been tucked between her legs all afternoon.

I've only had to put topical flea stuff on her a couple times and she always reacts this way, like you did the most awful thing to her. She never gets sick or anything, but she mopes... Has anyone ever had a dog with this kind of reaction? It worries me and I hate having to put anything on them, but I didn't know what else to do since they already had fleas. Summer didn't react at all to it.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:37 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Blackie and Rose used to hate me putting the stuff on them. If they saw me with the applicator in my hands, I'd have to chase them down, tackle them, then sit on them to apply it. . Once it was on they'd roll around and do their best to get it off. I honestly think they hated the way it smelled, because it never did anything to them physically. They reacted the same way to topical fly ointment to keep their ears and such from being chewed up.

Chloe, Cynder, Gracie, and Cooper all don't care.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:40 PM
such sights to show you

Squash does that. I think they don't like the way it physically feels when you put it on - I mean, not like a chemical burning, but the "trickling" sensation. Think about putting a couple of drops of oil or something like that on your scalp and then feeling it drip down your head... that's kind of how I imagine it feels.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Are you sure its not giving her a burning sensation? My grandmothers chi mix acted like that, turns out it was irritating her slightly and burning her

ETA: It wasn't a serious burn or anything, but I'm sure it wasn't a comfortable feeling. We only noticed when looked REAL close at her skin

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13

Last edited by JessLough; 07-08-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

My cat does the same thing. She can hear the wrapper crinkle when I open a pack of Advantage and she hides. Not sure about the sensation, but it probably doesn't smell very good to them.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 07-08-2012, 09:17 PM
and Fozzie B!

Fozzie hates it too. He doesn't itch it but he sulks all day long and hides from me. He generally hates it when he knows I'm putting something medicinal on him... HATES ear wash, teeth brushing, tooth numbing, anything that I hold him still and apply.

What kind of preventative are you using? I got so sick of finding fleas that I put Advantix on him and he acted extra peeved. A few days later he got severe dandruff all the way down his back, so I'm pretty sure it irritated his skin and that's why he was acting dramatic.

Just tell her "ANYTHING is better than getting eaten alive by fleas princess!" Srsly. Fleas are little demons. Have you tried giving her a bath in Dawn, and letting her sit submerged in water for a few minutes? If I do that right when I see fleas, I can avoid applying Frontline.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-08-2012, 10:14 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Yeah Kimma does the same thing. She won't go near me for usually about an hour after I put it on her. I feel so bad, but I mean, the other two don't mind so it can't hurt or anything. I also have to trick her to get it on, too.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 20 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 07-09-2012, 04:01 AM
Show Dog

Try those non-chemical or natural based sprays. Dogs hate it when something is placed on their fur or their skin. They don't like the feeling and the burning sensation especially for those with thin fur.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM
*Now with Snark*

Rain hates it. She thinks it's killing us. Gollum, gollum, *flail*

happily she's my only one that dramatic.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Rylie always reacts like that to topical flea stuff. I feel so bad putting it on her... I only use the stuff as needed because I hate putting chemicals on them. It makes me SO worried when Rylie acts strange after it

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep