Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
It costs $20/day for one dog to board at a vet where the don't even leave their kennel.
O__O Can't say I'd be giving any money to a vet if I knew they didn't take the boarded dogs out, whether I was actually boarding a dog there or not. My vet just recently started boarding dogs (used to only do cat boarding), and the dogs get out at least 5 times a day.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 PM
and Fozzie B!

I had to board Gonzo several years ago and needed to get him somewhere QUICK. I took him to my then Vet's boarding facility, and they acted like he'd get out a lot for exercise. When I picked him up he had pee all over himself, he smelled like something I've never smelled before... never. The white on him was stained yellow. And he has never had an accident. He also slept for days straight, I heard tons of barking from outside, they refused to let me see the kennels, and they didn't return any of the bedding/blankets/toys I brought with him. I'm sure they were covered in pee/poo. I asked if he was walked and they just skirted around the question, like "oh yes they get lots of TLC!" Then I found out after calling that they didn't consider it "safe" to walk the dogs outside of the facility, so yeah, he didn't leave his kennel and was probably going nuts the whole time.

The Vet that I worked at briefly kept the dogs in TINY kennel runs. A German Shepherd could barely turn around in one, and couldn't take a step forward. Small dog kennels were tiny cages. The dogs were taken out twice a day for one minute, to a bush, in a parking lot. Most of them just went to the bathroom in their kennels and barked non-stop from frustration. And it was an upscale vet and boarding was like $30 there! All summer, the tiny kennel room is filled with 20+ dogs, and they rarely even get looked at.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Ewwww yah, like, they didn't even bathe him to *try* and cover it up before bringing him to you?

Pretty sure my vet only has like 5 dogs max, due to room and time LOL

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
The white on him was stained yellow. And he has never had an accident. He also slept for days straight, I heard tons of barking from outside, they refused to let me see the kennels, and they didn't return any of the bedding/blankets/toys I brought with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Ewwww yah, like, they didn't even bathe him to *try* and cover it up before bringing him to you?

Pretty sure my vet only has like 5 dogs max, due to room and time LOL

That's what happened the first time Yoshi bloated and I had to leave her at the vets overnight.

When I came to pick her up a few days later she smelled HORRIBLE. It didn't smell like she just had an accident and laid in it. It smelled like the first day she was there she had an accident and she laid in it for all the days she was there

I may trust vets for medical stuff but definitely never to watch my dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Well, Allie usually pays me in portraits and/or photos. Unless I'm really hurting for money
LoL. I'm just such a horrible cook that when my friend who knows how to make all these traditional Asian dishes offers me dinner/lunch instead of payment I always jump on it.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 PM
and Fozzie B!

Srsly Yoko.

The more Vets I know, the more I realize most don't care much about anything beyond vet care. I have only seen one Vet (my Vet) that actually has facilities to EXERCISE the dogs. A Vet of all people should understand that dogs desperately need exercise and plenty of potty breaks to be healthy & happy. Most Vets are located in parking lots with maybe a bush or two. Where do the dogs go to the bathroom? Where are they walked, around a parking lot?

I was anti-boarding after that experience, until I worked at the pet hotel. Even then, $40 a night only gets your dog a kennel and 2 potty breaks in a small room. You had to spend $20 more a night to get your dog in a playroom during the day to exercise. We went above and beyond all of that and gave every dog hours of potty breaks and playtimes in the playroom, whether their owners paid for it or not, and kept every kennel clean with clean bedding. But I heard that the other pet hotels around the country don't do anything extra for the dogs. There are REALLY nice boarding facilities, like Wag, but most are like $100/dog/night if you want them out of their kennel most of the day.

I think I'd opt for a petsitter if I had to, but I'd feel comfortable boarding at a really nice pet resort if it came to that. Besides the fact that I'd be paying a lot more money. I don't think I'll ever have to do that, as I have family & friends that love my dogs. They do enjoy a day at dog daycare occasionally.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Srsly Yoko.

The more Vets I know, the more I realize most don't care much about anything beyond vet care. I have only seen one Vet (my Vet) that actually has facilities to EXERCISE the dogs. A Vet of all people should understand that dogs desperately need exercise and plenty of potty breaks to be healthy & happy. Most Vets are located in parking lots with maybe a bush or two. Where do the dogs go to the bathroom? Where are they walked, around a parking lot?
Same here

I could even see on her back legs where they had tried to brush out poo before bringing her out to me. I was pretty horrified. Yoshi sounds like your dog she will hold it forever and never has accidents.

There have been a couple times where she didn't go out all night then the next day and held it until that evening so I know she had to have been in the little cage for a long time because Yoshi hates having accidents and even more hates getting it on her.

When they brought her out to me she literally jumped into my arms.

It's sad that I trust these people to do risky surgery on my dog but I can't trust them to do small basic pet care things for her. There has only been a couple times she has had to stay over night at a vet and every time after that I show up multiple times the next day to check on her.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I would love it if someone paid me in home cooked meals!

Make me a couple casseroles to thaw and i'd be good as gold

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I would love it if someone paid me in home cooked meals!

Make me a couple casseroles to thaw and i'd be good as gold
My friend makes me home made teriyaki chicken and fried rice... >.< Thinking about that makes my can chili I ate tonight depressing.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Felurian

Let's just say that I take care of my friend's animals -- at the really good friend rate. It's 27 miles round trip, usually feeding horses that have to be tethered individually so they won't fight over food, trying to keep the goat from tripping me or ripping my pants with his horns or knocking the buckets of feed out of my hands, figuring out how he's managed to get into the back yard fence (he goes through the dog door into the house) then there's feeding all the house dogs -- usually at least four, then the kennel dogs, between 10 and 15. If she's got a litter planned it usually manages to work out where she has an emergency medical trip that hits shortly after they've been whelped (probably stress and lack of sleep), cleaning the kennels, getting the kennel dogs out to run for awhile . . .

$10 a day

But in the summer I get to use the pool

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian