Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Top Dog

You should easily be able to charge more than you currently are! The people here who do house visits charge between $20-25 per 30 minute visit ($25-35 for an hour). They also generally add $5 per extra pet, though I think that's silly. The real cost to you is the time to get to their house; adding an extra pet isn't that much extra work for you. Lots of them charge extra for walks too

In order to have someone come to my house it would have been at least $60-75 per day, PLUS the cost of walks. No thank you! I'd hire you in a heartbeat at your prices!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Top Dog

I recently dog sat for a woman who (at her insistence) paid $20/visit ($60/day) for her three extremely well-behaved dogs (who basically just wanted to play fetch and snooze). I felt sort of guilty.

Usually I try to keep it around $10/visit (or walk) so $20/day but I almost always visit more than twice...I just don't charge for it haha.

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Top Dog

I appreciate all of the opinions/experiences. What do you guys think about insurance? The other forum seems to think it's very unwise for me to watch dogs without being insured, but this isn't really a business and it's something I can only do for like 4-5 months a year. It's too late in the summer for me to really advertize now anyways, maybe I'll just tell my current "clients" to spread the word. The owner of the 12 year old want me to watch her again in August, so that's good.

Quote:
but I almost always visit more than twice...I just don't charge for it haha.
Yeah, I'd be like that lol. I want to hang out with your dog longer, you shouldn't have to pay for that. And I don't want people cutting back on how often their dogs get to go out or get exercised because they can't afford it. I think I'll continue charging by the day as opposed to time/per visit.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:48 AM
The Littlest Hound

I paid $50/day for three visits/day for my four relatively well-behaved dogs. I'd like to be able to keep that up but if I leave for like a week or more I may have to cut it down by a few bucks... lol

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Water Junkie

I charge $15/day for up to 3 visits. $20/day for 4 visits. I would charge more, but the problem I run into is competing with the local vets who board also and charge roughly $13/day.

If I were to do live-in pet sitting, I would charge at least $20/day. I have been asked before, but the most they wanted to pay was $10/day. People are extremely cheap around here.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Top Dog

I've been paid anywhere from $10-30 per day for actual pet sitting in my own home. I've never had a set price as I've never been in a situation where pet sitting is something super convenient. When I move into my own home, I do want to pet sit more, and maybe then I'd have a set price? I don't know!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 07-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I will pay you all the money to sit on Frodo when you get your own place

I've been payed everywhere from 20-75 per day for watching pets, always at their house because of spazcorg.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 PM
and Fozzie B!

I dogsat once. I was pressured into it, by my boss at the pet hotel, because some regulars were boarding their dog for the week & they had a 10 week old puppy that didn't have her shots so she couldn't be boarded. My boss OF COURSE coerced me into puppy-sitting all of the underage pups, because she has a dog killing Pit Bull. Great. D: I had this puppy for 10 days, I got her 100% house-trained in that time, socialized her with dozens of friendly dogs, taught her perfect bite inhibition, crate trained her, and gave her a bath and nail grind before she left. Her owners gave me... $20! What. the. f. I just wanted to punch them. It cost $20 alone for their adult dog (who was a small BostonxBeagle. puppy was a Pit Bull.) to get a crappy exit bath at the hotel. His full stay cost $500. And they gave me $20 for puppy-sitting their 10 week old, for 10 days!!!

That was the last time I dogsat for anyone besides friends & family. I'd definitely ask for $50 a day, but that would include an hour or more of exercise, multiple walks, and at least 3 visits (not including gas). I'd probably charge just slightly more to stay at their home. However, this is California. A lot depends on the cost of living in your area. It costs at least $50 to board ONE dog at a decent pet resort, and get any kind of exercise. It costs $20/day for one dog to board at a vet where the don't even leave their kennel.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Top Dog

Well I feel cheap... My friends pay me in home cooked food -.-

Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Well I feel cheap... My friends pay me in home cooked food -.-
Well, Allie usually pays me in portraits and/or photos. Unless I'm really hurting for money

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13