Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Agility freak!

Default Do dogs get sore throats?

I guess that's the best way to word it. Psyche's been kinda strange all day. Not more so than normal, but she's been sticking extra close to me all day. And she's been coughing/hacking a bit within the last hour or so, and when she barks or growls it's NOT her noise at all. She sounds like a pissy little gremlin.

She's been playing, eating, drinking, everything normal, wagging her tail, not more sleepy than usual (I've been reading most of the day so she's just been curled up with me sleeping, which is pretty normal) etc.. The only real differences are the sticking extra close to me and the funny sounding bark paired with the coughing and hacking.

She hasn't gotten into anything, that I know of, and since she's been with me pretty much all day, I don't see how she could have, although I'll admit there have been a few times today that she hasn't been in my sight.

So the question is, do dogs just get sore throats that would maybe cause this, or should I be more worried?

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 07-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

I know my friends dog use to bark so much by the end of the day it was definitely a different bark. He basically barked his throat raw.

But just like waking up with a sore throat? I'm not sure. I don't see why not...

Old 07-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Agility freak!

She hasn't been barking more than usual. She's usually not much of a barker, but when people come down the drive way or when she's playing with Crash. And those are the only times I've heard her make the funny noise, or any noise at all, today.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Top Dog

They can get acid reflux, just like people, which causes hacking. Bailey takes Pepcid as needed -- may be worth a call to your vet to ask about it and what an appropriate dosage would be (if applicable).
Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Is she hacking like she's trying to cough something up? Like something's stuck in her throat?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Top Dog

Kennel cough?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
Kennel cough?
That's kinda what I'm thinking, with the hacking/coughing.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
That's kinda what I'm thinking, with the hacking/coughing.
I don't remember it changing Yoshi's bark when she had it though.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Agility freak!

Hmm. Might be Kennel Cough. I have NO idea where she'd have gotten it, though. She hasn't even really left the house and interacted with other dogs in... well, not since the first of June, I don't think... Ohoo! She did go to my sisters house after my sister housed a dog she found for a few hours. Hurmp.

Are there any other signs to kennel cough? She has a trial this weekend so I'm trying to figure things out fast if I need to pull her.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Agility freak!

That's the thing, too. Psyche has always had a "soft" throat. I don't walk her on collars because she pulls and makes herself hack and gag. She's always on harnesses, and even then she sometimes pulls hard enough to hack on those. She was playing in water one day at a trial and swallowed some or something and that's when that all started.

Today even her growl has been different. She was playing with Crash and growling at him and it was weird. Sounded like a little dog... almost gurrgly (sp... is that even a word?). She hasn't been doing it for a few hours now.. I thought maybe something stuck in her throat, fed her some bread with oil, hoping that would somehow help, and she ate it right down. And she drank after that, and she ate all of her dinner (dry food) no problem.