Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Taxiderpy

About the shedding:

You might look into wirehaired breeds as well. Overall, they shed far far less than most regular coated dogs.

I'm sorry you lost Cthulhu, but please take some time and make sure the dog you get is a good fit for your living situation. Rotties and GSDs are in many cases sharper than something like a staffy, and people have already addressed the shedding aspect.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Top Dog

Are you allergic to dog AND cat hair? Just cat hair? If both, and you have already rehomed cats, I feel adding a heavily shedding dog seems a bad idea. What happens if you cannot handle allergy symptoms again?

As an aside, I never understand why people can be so cavalier about rehoming cats...my cats are just as loved as our dogs.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
*blink*
They are fairly quiet dogs...

Old 07-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
Are you allergic to dog AND cat hair? Just cat hair? If both, and you have already rehomed cats, I feel adding a heavily shedding dog seems a bad idea. What happens if you cannot handle allergy symptoms again?

As an aside, I never understand why people can be so cavalier about rehoming cats...my cats are just as loved as our dogs.
I will be the first to admit I'd rehome the cat before the dog... but I am terribly allergic and would rather suffer than see his little face go. He is my naugthy child who tests me daily and yet... that little face just has me wrapped around his paw.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Glutton for Crazy

People are so cruel to cats. :/
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Let it be

I know. That's why I ended up taking Brobee in the break up. My ex said he wouldn't take care of him and the SPCA is too full of cats to take more. So he tagged along.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
They are fairly quiet dogs...
Uhm, maybe if they are drugged?

I've yet to meet a "calm" or "quiet" boxer. Ever. Most are running trenches in the ground while they're doing laps around anything and everything. Athletes. Not particularly bright athletes, but definitely NOT quiet dogs.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

I have never found boxers to be quiet either when I worked at the shelter, they are an amazing breed though. I don't really think a boxer would be a good fit.. I would just not go out and get a new dog the next second if this happened to me. :/

Dixie Loo - 2009 Schnauzer Mix
Rudy Roo - 2008 Airedale Terrier Mix
Buster - Forever loved and missed. 1-10-04 - 12-1-14
Old 07-08-2012, 08:34 PM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Uhm, maybe if they are drugged?

I've yet to meet a "calm" or "quiet" boxer. Ever. Most are running trenches in the ground while they're doing laps around anything and everything. Athletes. Not particularly bright athletes, but definitely NOT quiet dogs.
Oh I've met calm-ish, quiet-ish Boxers before. They were owned by responsible adults who put the effort of research into the breed and their exercise, training and need for mental stimulation (Boxers can actually be fairly intelligent). On the other hand, I foresee the OP getting the first one they come across and the dog turning into a hyper, mouthy dog who destroys the apartment and has to be "gotten rid of" like the last dog because it does something perfectly preventable...

Last edited by SevenSins; 07-08-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: -ish
Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Oh I've met calm-ish, quiet Boxers before. They were owned by responsible adults who put the effort of research into the breed and their exercise, training and need for mental stimulation (Boxers can actually be fairly intelligent). On the other hand, I foresee the OP getting the first one they come across and the dog turning into a hyper, mouthy dog who destroys the apartment and has to be "gotten rid of" like the last dog because it does something perfectly preventable...
That's the difference. They want a dog NOW, not to wait for a good breeder to have a litter available and not wait to put the required time to do a lot of research. Doesn't sound like they are willing/able to pay for a dog from a breeder, either.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13