Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Mitch & Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
If you and your girlfriend are serious about getting a Chihuahua, shoot me a PM. I have a lot of resources and would love to help
Thanks! We're gonna go explore the shelters first, see who jumps out at us. Like I said, still trying to convince her on a Doxie. But I want to go meet some small dogs, play with them, etc, and see who will be a good match.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I like Dachshunds, I really do, but they would be about LAST on my list for apartment dogs. Every one I have every met was LOUD. And most I have met are scared of people out in public and reactive. BARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARK!! I honestly don't even try to approach most of them at work anymore, they just scream at people who they see walking around the store. Granted, these are almost all from BYB, but that is also probably what you are going to pick up from a shelter.

So make sure you get to spend a bunch of time with one before you bring it home, or at least be able to take it home as a trial. I don't think I've met one yet that would be suitable for an apartment. I think chi/chi mix would be easier to find what you are looking for.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu7 View Post
So for you pet rock people? Which do you prefer: smooth or rough/edgy.

I heard the smooth ones are easier to train.
Yes, they have more drive and are more handler centered.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Yes, they have more drive and are more handler centered.
Hey there you forgot to mention it has to do with the rock's personality roughs aren't know for being hard to train either

Old 07-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Mitch & Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I like Dachshunds, I really do, but they would be about LAST on my list for apartment dogs. Every one I have every met was LOUD. And most I have met are scared of people out in public and reactive. BARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARK!! I honestly don't even try to approach most of them at work anymore, they just scream at people who they see walking around the store. Granted, these are almost all from BYB, but that is also probably what you are going to pick up from a shelter.

So make sure you get to spend a bunch of time with one before you bring it home, or at least be able to take it home as a trial. I don't think I've met one yet that would be suitable for an apartment. I think chi/chi mix would be easier to find what you are looking for.
That's so weird, because every Chi I've met has been a yappy little loud-mouth. But the Doxies I've known have been very quiet, friendly and relaxed. I've always been iffy about chis because whenever we go to a shelter they all bark at me, but not Erin. It's weird.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
That's so weird, because every Chi I've met has been a yappy little loud-mouth. But the Doxies I've known have been very quiet, friendly and relaxed. I've always been iffy about chis because whenever we go to a shelter they all bark at me, but not Erin. It's weird.
I haven't ever met a quiet relaxed doxie. Friendly? Absolutely. Relaxed and quiet? Never XD

Old 07-11-2012, 02:46 PM
APBT crazy!

Oh my gosh, dachshund barking is so annoying! Every one at the shelter I worked at was an obsessive barker so you may not want one for an apartment. They bark at anything and everything. Chihuahuas can be barky, but not as bad as dachshunds in my experience. I like dachshunds but their barking drives me crazy.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 PM
and Fozzie B!

Doxies are one of the most vocal breeds in the world, in my experience. Some are much more low key, but most are vocal. Chis can be loud & high-strung, but they can also be calm & quiet. Be VERY particular in your selection! Because you are adopting an adult dog, you can get a much better idea about the personality of the dog as an individual. I would recommend looking at a rescue rather than a shelter, where the dogs are in foster homes & really get to know them in a home environment. I'd just search petfinder for small dogs and find one that fits you if you aren't particular about breeds! Get a snip of their fur and tape it to your arm for the day to see if you have a reaction to them.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
I think it really depends on the dog. I've met some yappy Chis, and some awesome Chis. I've also met some non-yappy Dachshunds, and some yappy Dachshunds. Gracie, our Dachshund, doesn't bark at all. She'll do a quiet woof when she hears another dog bark, but that's about the extent of it. My coworker's Dachshund doesn't bark either. Both are whiners though. lol

I think a Dachshund would bark as a warning towards intruders and the like (watch dog), but I don't think I've met one that just mindlessly barks. Honestly, the Dachshunds I've been around haven't been any worse of a barker than a Labrador.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I think it really depends on the dog. I've met some yappy Chis, and some awesome Chis. I've also met some non-yappy Dachshunds, and some yappy Dachshunds. Gracie, our Dachshund, doesn't bark at all. She'll do a quiet woof when she hears another dog bark, but that's about the extent of it. My coworker's Dachshund doesn't bark either. Both are whiners though. lol

I think a Dachshund would bark as a warning towards intruders and the like (watch dog), but I don't think I've met one that just mindlessly barks. Honestly, the Dachshunds I've been around haven't been any worse of a barker than a Labrador.
All the one's I met have been insane barkers. Not just a warning or a 'get attention someone is here' barks either. The ones I've met bark if new people, new pets, new inanimate objects, things that move, things that they though moved, things they think may end up moving, sounds, sounds that they think they heard but may have just been their own bark.

Honestly I'm able to tune it out but if someone lives in an apartment I totally they'd definitely want to either know from a rescue what the dogs habits are or from foster.

I know you said fostering wasn't really an option and you really want to go to a shelter but a breed rescue or just a rescue that uses foster would be best for you just so you can get that extra bit of information.