Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-08-2012, 04:52 PM
I'm All Ears

And GSDs can be very hard to rent with too. And there's a reason GSDs are nicknamed German Shedders. Our GSD shed more than any of our other dogs.

I'll also add I think this is a very bad idea.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Are you dead yet?

Honestly, if you and Erin are unhappy without a dog in your lives, then why not get a dog that's appropriate for both of you rather than getting a dog purely to scare your neighbors?

I think a Rottweiler or GSD is a terrible idea for people with allergies, and neither of those breeds are ideal for apartment living as puppies and young dogs - don't both of you work?

I totally understand wanting a new dog, but I do agree that you need to analyze your reasons for wanting a dog. Right now just sounds like a vendetta rather than wanting to bring a new member into the family.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Let it be

Are your allergies really bad? 'cause those dogs all shed too. As someone who lives with an animal they are allergic to that aspect is do able but it totally sucks. I only have sight in my own eyes and every time the cats rub on my face I go BLIND because my good eye also is the one that likes to swell shut.

:'(
Old 07-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Are you dead yet?

PS - Laurelin is so right about shepherds and their hair. Do not be fooled by a short coat and think that the dog won't shed everywhere. German shepherds shed an immense amount of short, spiky hair every single day. All dogs are going to shed, but two of the three breeds you picked are notorious for tons of shedding. GSDs shed even more than dogs like labs and goldens who seem to have more coat, but "blow" their coat a couple times a year.

Think long and hard about how much you really can deal with the hair in your house, because it's been something you have rehomed animals for in the past.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Oh my god at the hair from my dogs. I have a JRT/Aussie mix, a Labrador, a German Shepherd and now a Dutchie (who hasn't been here long enough to shed anything yet )

But every day we sweep up a pile of dog hair that you could make another small dog out of. If it goes a week (we're terrible housekeepers, but hair doesn't really bother us lol) the pile in the summer can be as big as Ozzy.

GSDs shed a butt load. Knox doesn't shed in tufts like some GSDs I've seen, but he just kind of sprinkles hair everywhere. All the time. In Georgia we haven't really had any seasons except "hot" and "hotter" this past year, so he hasn't really blown his coat but he still SHEDS.

He's a tough obnoxious dog. Sometimes he'd rather blow me off and do his own thing than pay attention and listen. They can be wonderful dogs, but they can also be nightmares.

I'd look at perhaps a doodle of some sort.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Mitch & Erin

Ok ok this got got way off topic. I am sorry that I even mentioned the whole "scaring my neighbor" thing. It was more as a joke than anything else. Personally, I don't care what she thinks.

As for why I'm angry at the neighbor: I'm upset because we could have settled this between us, without the need for a third party. In this case, the management. I had already offered to pay any vet bills if they needed it, and their dog is fine. He had a minuscule puncture on his cheek, it's already cleared up. All in all, this accident cost me a lot more than it cost my neighbor.

As for the breed. Yes, I know that Rotties and GSDs also need a somewhat firm hand. I'm hoping that by getting one as a baby, I'll be able to instill that early on and not have to work as hard later. The only Staffies I've found are already at least a year old, and will probably be tougher to train.
I know that many don't think bigger dogs should be in apartments. I have tons of time. I only have classes 2 days out of the week, and I have no trouble taking my dog to one of the many many parks in the city to play for a few hours. There's a huge park literally across the street from me, and it has trails, woods, and tons of space, and dogs are welcome as long as they are on leash. There are also plenty of off leash parks and trails.

I've never heard of any apartments in my city that have breed restrictions, and even if they do it's generally anti-pitbull and nothing else (which is sad). My old neighbors in a much nicer complex had a Saint Bernard in their apartment, and the management allowed it.

I promise, and can not stress this enough, that our motivations for a new dog are purely out of love. Cthulhu leaving has left a big hole very quickly, and we've agreed that we want a new dog as soon as possible. We both prefer bigger dogs, and have decided that this time around we will get a breed we love, instead of settling on a smaller dog because of the pros vs cons. Whatever we have to do to keep the dog happy, believe me we will do. I know that I said I wanted to scare my neighbor. This is a joke that Erin and I have been tossing around, and I apologize for bringing it up. Please don't look down on me, as some have already seemed to do.

I really really do need information about shedding though. That was the main purpose for my post. Please understand, Erin and I prefer to adopt from local shelters instead of from breeders. There are a lot of no-kill shelters in Austin, and every dog adopted opens up another space for another dog to get off of the euthanasia list. This means a LOT to us. The downside is that puppies are rare in shelters, and most of the ones that are there are either Chihuahuas or Dachsunds. We have seen a few Heelers, and Labs, but research tells me that Labs shed like crazy and Heelers need more exercise than I can offer them. I've also seen Pitbulls and Staffies. Pitbulls are common in Austin, but there's still the social issues. I am not very tolerant of people who ask stupid questions, and the first person to ask if I worry about him turning on me is going to get hit. I have seen a few GSDs and Rotties, and really would like to adopt one. I know they'll need plenty of exercise, but not to the extent that a Heeler needs. Plus, I've always loved Rotties, I think they might be my favorite breed.

I do need to know how their shedding will be in a constantly hot climate. Texas rarely gets below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, so will the dog go through a heavy shedding period like it normally would, or will it not be as bad?

I am sorry if I've upset some of you, as I think I have. I loved my dog, and I'll love my next dog just as much if not more. I would never adopt simply to anger someone else, because that wouldn't be worth it in the long run.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

I don't really even know how to respond to this... this whole thing just seems pretty messed up to me...

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm All Ears

We lived in Houston when we had a GSD. He shed bucketloads all the time. Not exaggerating at all. We had a lab at the same time. Both shed a lot. Much much more than our shelties ever did even with all their coat.

Also, I lived in central Texas a while and was looking at getting another GSD when I first moved there for school and could not find a single apartment that would allow one. Even my last apartment had no size limit but wouldn't allow GSDs, Rotts, Dobes, and pit bulls. My neighbor also had two Saint Bernards. The thing is GSDs, Rotts, Dobes, and pits are probably the most common breeds to be either banned at a complex or to have trouble with insurance. Saint Bernards aren't usually on those lists.

Even if you can rent with a rottweiler or a GSD where you are now, what about the future? It might not be impossible but it will likely limit your choices by quite a bit. You move to a town with less options than Austin and then what? When I moved to Oklahoma the apartments here were even LESS dog friendly.

Also, you will get the same questions with a GSD or rottie as a pit bull. Maybe not to the same extent but you will still get warned that they will turn on you.

Also, GSDs and rotties can often be DA to some extent or another. Our GSD was a prime example of how protective/territorial he was and he did end up sending two dogs to the e-vet when they came into our yard. If you had a dog previously that you couldn't handle that attacked other dogs, I'd worry about how you'd handle a dog like a GSD or a rottweiler. You can't afford any 'oops' with these dogs.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:28 PM
SevenSins

If you're incapable of handling a SCHNAUZER around other dogs what in the EVERLIVING HELL is possessing you to rush out and get a breed even MORE likely to be dog aggressive?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu7 View Post
The only Staffies I've found are already at least a year old, and will probably be tougher to train.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:31 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Regarding shedding: you say Labradors shed like crazy. This is true. But what sheds more than a Lab? A German Shepherd. What sheds the same as a Lab? A Rottweiler. So if you want a breed that will produce minimal dog hair...run away from both GSDs and Rotties. There will be tufts and tumbleweeds of hair EVERYWHERE. If you don't want hair, expect to vacuum every day.

Regarding "social issues" from stupid people: I guarantee you if you get a GSD or a Rottie you will have people commenting on how they are "aggressive" and will "turn on you" just like you'd get with a Pittie. They are all "mean" breeds in the eyes of the general public and you will get stupid questions.

Regarding exercise: a young GSD or a young Rottie is still going to need a lot of exercise. They are active dogs and without a job they will go bonkers. My breed of choice is the Labrador and I feel I could handle a Rottie's activity level, as well as your average pet bred GSD...but a Lab isn't a sedentary breed by any means. On that note, all of the Pitties and Staffies I've met have been just as active as my Labs. Kiba could go on a two mile run and not be phased at all.

Breed suggestions: Have you considered a Boxer at all? They shed, but not to the extent of a Rottie or Shepherd. Or perhaps a Standard or Giant Schnauzer? (No shedding, large, protective, come in black which is my favorite color ^^). A Greyhound may also work (hardly any shedding, great for allergies) - and there are a ton of retired racers in rescue that are in desperate need of homes.