Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Mitch & Erin

Default New Dog, Need Help

Hey everybody. (I'm so sorry this post is so long)

So for those who don't know, yesterday we had to give up Cthulhu. He had attacked a neighbors dog, and the owner freaked and went to our apartment's office. The management (sadly, within their rights) gave us 24 hours to remove the dog.

That's the sad part. The good news that we found Cthulhu a new home, with a nice family. He'll have 4 kids, a mom, and a dad to play with; a yard to run in, and I think he'll do just fine.

So, Erin and I are very upset with both the management and our neighbor, but we have decided to move on and just get a new dog. Neither of us is happy without a dog in the apartment, and it's very difficult to wake up and realize that you don't need to take anyone out to go potty.

Here's where I need some help. We've already decided that we are absolutely getting a puppy. Nothing older than 6 months. We also agreed that we want a bigger dog (yes, partially because we want our neighbor to be scared of our next dog.) So right now we're looking pretty hard at Rotties and GSDs. We were thinking maybe a Staffy, but neither of us has the natural "alpha" personality needed for one.

Here's the problem. Erin and I both have moderate allergies to dog dander. We also have a strong dislike for pet hair. That's why we got rid of our cats, and that's why we got a dog that almost never sheds. But there are so few hypoallergenic dogs that match the size we want, we've decided to sacrifice. They make pills for allergies after all.

Finally, my question. For those of you who own dogs in hotter climates (think Texas hot), how much do your dogs shed? I'm perfectly fine with brushing once a day. But if my dog is still going to shed a ton, then I need to factor that in. My thinking is that since Texas seasons don't change drastically, or even all that much, the dog probably won't need to shed it's normal twice a year. Also, the dog will be kept well groomed, and even a GSD will likely have a shorter coat than normal.

Again, sorry this was so long. It was a combination of needing help and getting things off my chest. Thank you all so much for having some sympathy when I lost Cthulhu, I appreciate it.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I think you need to strongly re examine your motivations for wanting a dog. Really I do.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 07-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Love My Mutt <3

You don't think you have the personality for a staffy, but you think you can handle a rottie?

Choosing a dog breed because you want the neighbours to be afraid of the dog is never a good idea.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

I know you're hurt about giving up Cthulhu... but I would not get a Rottie or GSD to scare your neighbor's. Because if all hell breaks loose with them again, you may have to give up the new pup/dog as well.

Have you researched either breed thoroughly? You have to be dominant with a Rottie and GSD as well. If you are just getting a Rottie or GSD to scare your neighbors, well I don't think it's a good idea for you to get either breed.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Let it be

I don't personally believe in the alpha/dominant mentality. I'm a really soft natured person and I've had animals in the past with very strong personality types and it worked out totally fine.

Why do you want your neighbors to be afraid of your next dog? Even with a big scary looking dog I know for me I'd want people to respect my dog, not fear it. It doesn't do the breed on a whole any good to be feared just for being the neighbors pet.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
You don't think you have the personality for a staffy, but you think you can handle a rottie?

Choosing a dog breed because you want the neighbours to be afraid of the dog is never a good idea.
Yeahhhh.... My malinois need a much firmer hand than my pit bulls, hell you sneer at my pit bulls and their hearts break.

Please, please think about this before you jump in. You don't sound like you're well educated enough to buy a guardian breed.

BTW, your neighbors tattled once and the dog was taken away because you made a mistake and your schnauzer got in a "no damage" fight. With these bigger dogs you won't be so lucky, your dog may not only get taken away but you may face a very serious law suit.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:36 PM
such sights to show you

You know, I know you're sad about losing Cthulu, but... he DID attack the neighbor's dog. I'd report that if it happened to me, too. It isn't really their fault and there's no point trying to be vengeful against them. I would strike "scaring the neighbors" off your list of qualities you want in a dog and start over with your breed search. If you come to the same conclusion, great, but maybe it's not a decision to be made while your feelings are so raw.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:36 PM
<------RIP Superdog

Ok umm, why are you mad at your neighbors if YOUR dog attacked their dog??? I would probably go to management also since it seems your general attitude about the situation is flippent.

I think you shouldnt get a certain breed just to scare your neighbors. What if your new scary breed ever got loose, attacked someone, heck what if they jumped playfully at someone and they took it as the dog trying to jump and attack them! With the breeds you are looking at, you will have NO leg to stand on if there was a complaint filed. You should get a breed that fits your lifestyle and that you can handle. Not to scare people!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
I think you need to strongly re examine your motivations for wanting a dog. Really I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoundgirl View Post
I know you're hurt about giving up Cthulhu... but I would not get a Rottie or GSD to scare your neighbor's. Because if all hell breaks loose with them again, you may have to give up the new pup/dog as well.

Have you researched either breed thoroughly? You have to be dominant with a Rottie and GSD as well. If you are just getting a Rottie or GSD to scare your neighbors, well I don't think it's a good idea for you to get either breed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
I don't personally believe in the alpha/dominant mentality. I'm a really soft natured person and I've had animals in the past with very strong personality types and it worked out totally fine.

Why do you want your neighbors to be afraid of your next dog? Even with a big scary looking dog I know for me I'd want people to respect my dog, not fear it. It doesn't do the breed on a whole any good to be feared just for being the neighbors pet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Yeahhhh.... My malinois need a much firmer hand than my pit bulls, hell you sneer at my pit bulls and their hearts break.

Please, please think about this before you jump in. You don't sound like you're well educated enough to buy a guardian breed.

BTW, your neighbors tattled once and the dog was taken away because you made a mistake and your schnauzer got in a "no damage" fight. With these bigger dogs you won't be so lucky, your dog may not only get taken away but you may face a very serious law suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
You know, I know you're sad about losing Cthulu, but... he DID attack the neighbor's dog. I'd report that if it happened to me, too. It isn't really their fault and there's no point trying to be vengeful against them. I would strike "scaring the neighbors" off your list of qualities you want in a dog and start over with your breed search. If you come to the same conclusion, great, but maybe it's not a decision to be made while your feelings are so raw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpoodleperson View Post
Ok umm, why are you mad at your neighbors if YOUR dog attacked their dog??? I would probably go to management also since it seems your general attitude about the situation is flippent.

I think you shouldnt get a certain breed just to scare your neighbors. What if your new scary breed ever got loose, attacked someone, heck what if they jumped playfully at someone and they took it as the dog trying to jump and attack them! With the breeds you are looking at, you will have NO leg to stand on if there was a complaint filed. You should get a breed that fits your lifestyle and that you can handle. Not to scare people!
Really bears repeating over and over.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Dafuq?

It's never a good idea to have a Staff or Rottie in an apartment anyway. Even if it's legal for you to keep those breeds right now, policies change, management changes, leases get non-renewed, etc.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...