Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Are you dead yet?

Dude. It's ridiculous. Awhile back, my boyfriend had to run into CVS and I sat in the car with my dog - engine off, windows down. My dog was panting heavily because she had just been exercised at the park. I had a woman walk up, pointing her finger at me, telling me I shouldn't have that poor dog in that hot car. Um, what? I was sitting IN THE SAME CAR. It was 95 degrees. It's hot, but I wasn't dying and neither was she. Mind your own **** business.

I love that picture of the dog's mutilated feet that circulates around facebook and is actually a dog whose feet burned that badly after 10 hours on a roof. I'll eat my foot if any dog has actually gotten burns like that from walking on asphalt.

Also, I'm waiting for the day that some jerkoff breaks my boyfriend's window and my dog tears them a new one. And guess what? It'll probably be a bad mark on MY dog for defending her car.

I don't leave her in the car alone anymore, not because the heat will get to her, but because psychos might try things like that and my dog's reaction would be the end of her life as she knows it.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Top Dog

There have been a lot of deaths already this year, hot car or not, with some serious heat waves that are putting down even humans. It's fuel for the fire that has been going on over facebook and other social media sites. In one way, I understand it. In another way, I wish we were also teach people some basic deductive skills. Car on? Running AC? Windows down? In shade or full sun? Is the sun even up? Dogs seem in distress? Etc, so forth.

Such a pain now that we have ignorant hysterics who don't bother analyzing the situation. That sucks.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

I saw that picture! People need to learn to use google before they blindly share on Facebook!

This woman called me a cruel animal abuser....

I called her a $%!% idiot who would be the reason the cops didn't take it seriously when a dog was really in trouble, and told her to back away from my truck.... And me.... I was shaking! I've never felt so close to clobbering someone before!

The cop was extremely irritated, her exact words were my house is hotter than this half the time and my two dogs and I are still alive!
Old 07-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

I got calls like that frequently when I was an animal control officer. Not *once* was there a dog in distress. I had the mother of a friend of mine call one day when it was maybe 70 degrees.

"There's a car parked in the sun with a dog in it."

"Are the windows down at all?"

"Yes, but it is in the sun."

"Is the dog panting?"

"Not yet, but it is a big hairy dog. And the car is in the sun."

Sure, let me go arrest them right now. I'd usually drive to the car, check it out myself, and see the dog wasn't in distress. I'd park nearby and keep an eye out, and as long as the people came out relatively quickly (which they always did), I wouldn't even talk to them.

Meg is great for that sort of thing, because as soon as you leave her in the car, she generally curls up on the floor on the driver side. Nobody can ever see her. I'm more paranoid with Gusto, who stands up most of the time and pants more easily.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Erin, Stardogs, found the real source of that photo. I was SO HAPPY when she did, so many people blindly believed it was from a simple walk.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
There have been a lot of deaths already this year, hot car or not, with some serious heat waves that are putting down even humans. It's fuel for the fire that has been going on over facebook and other social media sites. In one way, I understand it. In another way, I wish we were also teach people some basic deductive skills. Car on? Running AC? Windows down? In shade or full sun? Is the sun even up? Dogs seem in distress? Etc, so forth.

Such a pain now that we have ignorant hysterics who don't bother analyzing the situation. That sucks.
I get that, and even talked in another thread about my willingness to break a window if the dog was actually in trouble....

But these hysterical people, are only going to make the cops shrug and go "Oh another idiot" they're not going to take it seriously and someday a dog that really does need help will die
Old 07-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

I'm in AZ and, because of situations like this, I'm afraid to even take the dogs on errands with me in the evenings, which was always something they enjoyed. I'm not stupid, and I'm certainly not going to put my dogs in danger. But because of people who overreact, I'm worried about leaving dogs for ten minutes at 9 at night while I run inside a store. Although I'd like to see someone approach the car while the tiny Chow was inside....loves her car, that one
Old 07-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I'd be curious to see the actual statistic of dogs dying in cars this summer. It sounds like something people would blow up for an agenda, ya know?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Are you dead yet?

go Erin! I'm so glad she found that too.

For everyone else, sites like www.karmadecay.com let you investigate photos that might be reposted from somewhere else, with the story changed.

Check out the photos you see online. Lotta lies out there.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Top Dog

I feel like people are way more gung ho about it this year. I can say that I don't recall any dogs brought in to work in distress last year from being left in hot cars. I'm not sure what's behind the chicken little response this year.