Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Ninja Dog

Default Anyone give thier dogs glucosamine?

Bear has one once a day. Does anyone else? What are your thoughts on such vitamins?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Top Dog

Yes, I give all my dogs daily Nutri Aid GCM which is a glucosamine supplement, with Vitamin C, Mag., Chon,

My Sister also takes these supplements, being a groomer full time you need to take preventaives.

I give many supplements, I am a huge holistic/homeopathic lover.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:19 AM
Show Dog

Yep I give it to one of mine who used to limp after a run and get a bit stiff, she's improved no end
Old 12-16-2005, 08:48 AM
Top Dog

I give Athena one everyday, seems to help (She has Arthritis in one knee)
Old 12-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
QUOTE by Amstaffer I give Athena one everyday, seems to help (She has Arthritis in one knee)
I've been meaning to mention to you that I don't often hear the name Athena. I named my Rottweiler Athena, I think she is the only Athena in my area. Did you get the name from greek mythology like I did?

I just wanted to add, that all my dogs get Glucosamine, even my dogs that have no problems at all. For me I use it as a preventative for problems later in life. For example, in my oldest Newf's line they all had OFA excellent hips, a couple in her litter developed HD later in life from degenerative lines..they also developed degenerative spinal problems (this is becoming a huge problem in Newfs) . All her litter mates were suffering crippling, degenerative problems as early as 6 to 7 years of age..and all are passed on now. Cassie comes from short lived lines, but, she is proving that good nutrition and homeopathic/holistic support is keeping her in good health and condition. She is 10 has barely any gray on her face, still plays with the others, is not crabby, healed perfectly from cruciate ligament surgery and later from a partically torn cruciate.

I use her as an example as I know that she is genetically prone to spinal/joint etc problems later in life. She is proof that I am on the right track
Old 12-16-2005, 10:33 AM
Top Dog

Yep I named her from Greek Mythos, Strong and Wise was the Goddess Athena

I am a Social Studies teacher and I like to name my dogs after someone Historical. My male is Sal, which is short for Saladin.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Love my pets

I've given it to my terrier to over 5 years now due to arthritis and have put all my other dogs on it while young to help since they are large breeds.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:02 AM
Active Pup

Yeah, Gil my border puppy kept going lame on his back end as a pup - as soon as I brought him home after he fell off a step. I gave him glucosamine for about 2 months and he improved very quickly and stopped going lame. He is now a few months over two and never goes lame. Highly recommend it!
Old 12-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Puppy Dog

An orthopedic vet told me to consider it when my dog sprained her ankle. It has obvious benefits for arthritic symptoms.

For those of you who are using it as a preventative, what information are you basing that on? Could you point me to a link or something to do some reading on the subject. I am against using anything on a long term basis that isn't needed but if there is a good reason to start now I'd like to learn about it.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Active Pup

Default Arnica

Arnica is a great homepathic temp treatment for sprains and bruises Richard. You can get if from good health stores. 1 tiny tablet you put under your or the dogs tongue (which disolves fast). The quicker you use it when an injury occurs the faster it seems to work.

I used to do agility with 3 border collies and sprains and bruises were common. Arnica helped alot.