Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-07-2012, 11:25 PM
such sights to show you

I have one cat who is very storm-phobic, he hides under the couch - sometimes even if it is just raining (although he's getting a bit deaf in his old age and doesn't always hear it when it just rains anymore).

None of our current dogs seem to have a problem. Sometimes Pip will bark, and once the fireworks have started on the 4th he doesn't like to go outside, but other than that they really don't react. Which is really nice... one of my old dogs was terribly storm/firework phobic and would just pace and pace and pant and pace and pant inconsolably.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Art is in absolutely no way noise sensative to things like fireworks, storms, guns (found this out at the dogpark >_<) or anything big and loud like that. But he can *sometimes* be noise sensative to *click* sounds or popping.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:13 AM
Will Creep For Sheep

I have a dog who is sensitive to Lightsabers- does that count? I have a Lightsaber app on my phone which Riot hates. Any time I'm watching Star Wars (which is very often) she glares at me and does a low *rrrrruuffff* at the TV.

I'm not sure if that is legitimate, and would be useful to BAER, but I think its pretty funny personally. She has no other noise sensitivities though :P

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 07-08-2012, 03:12 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
Interesting thought, I guess it might be that dog hearing is way more advanced than cats? I'm not really sure. But the dog paces and shivers then lays in the dark quiet bathroom during storms or even rain. The cats just lay around,even in open windows snoozing. Maybe an ear will twitch with a particularly loud bang, but otherwise they seem oblivious. Is it just more a dog thing?
I've always heard cats have better hearing, as they rely on hearing for hunting (listening for scurrying of prey), and have more muscles in their ears to swivel their ears for best pick-up of sound.

There's definitely noise sensitive cats, but just as not every dog is going to freak at storms or fireworks, not every cat will. To go by the small numbers you have at home isn't very correct...

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Are you dead yet?

Eve is a thunderphobe and a pyrophobe. Fireworks, gunshots, thunder, even super loud construction gives her a bad time. Her reaction is just displaying symptoms of stress - ears back, tense posture and panting. She comforts herself by coming to me and flipping herself on her back, or going in a corner and flipping herself onto her back. It's very weird. Most dogs I know DO NOT want to be on their backs when they stress, in fact my old dog who was noise-phobic would've eaten your face off if you tried to roll her over while she was upset. Eve however seems to take comfort in it.

She was exposed to a lot of loud noise as a pup, with no issue. When she was a couple years old, we moved to Mexico and there was basically constant, deafening construction and pounding on the house. By necessity, Eve was crated through a lot of this, and I think that construction is what caused her discomfort with banging on buildings. I have no idea how that relates to fireworks and gunshots and thunder, though.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Top Dog

I don't have a huge sample of dogs, but those I know who have thunder phobia do have other anxiety issues. I tend to think they're related, at least in some dogs. I also can't help but think that it's often genetic.

My anxious dog, thankfully, doesn't care at all about thunderstorms or fireworks. I don't know if it's because is was exposed to them a lot when he was a puppy, along with other loud noises like sirens, or not. Instead of "regular" noise phobias, though, he has weird ones -- he hates, hates the freezer because (over a year ago!) I used to have a problem with overfilling it (between his food and mine) and things would sometimes fall out and apparently it was very scary. Even when I break his frozen food patties apart, I have to do it away from him because he gets a little stressy.

Grace doesn't really react to loud noises (she's five months old), except that the fireworks kind of startled her, but she recovered quickly. After field training, I can't help but wonder if she isn't a little "game on!" when she hears something that sounds like a gunshot.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Kaydee

So from what I'm reading it seems to just be an individual thing, not breed or species...except I know I see those cats smirking when that poor dog scuttles through, if lightning doesn't hit the food dish they sleep...
Old 07-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Kaydee, I don't know about most breeds but thunder phobia is rampant in Border Collies, it's not just coincidence.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Are you dead yet?

Border collies are BRED to be sensitive to sounds, dogs that need to pick whistle commands from a great distance away, out of a ton of livestock noise. The same sound sensitivity that drives pet dogs up a wall comes in handy for working dogs. I think it's a similar situation for a lot of the super-responsive herding breeds and some of the working breeds.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Let it be

My dog is sound sensitive but not enough to the point of being fearful of thunderstorms. He clings a little closer but can still settle in a stressful situation.