Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Blonde Raccoon

Sally has always been terrified of thunder and fireworks. She hides in the bathtub, goes into weird rooms/places she doesn't normally go, pants heavily, etc. I never really made the connection that she's a herding breed and maybe they're more predisposed to having these types of noise fears/sensitivities. It's weird because we live right next to a massive international airport and the loud planes have never bothered her at all.

Seamus doesn't seem to notice loud noises at all.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm All Ears

Bernard wants under the covers and shakes. I'll have to pass on the xanax recommendation to my sister for him. Bernard was also only 2 when he started having his anxiety.

Owned by BCs can you elaborate on the lines? Even a pm would be good.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Obey the Toad.

Neither of mine care about storms. Fireworks don't even seem to bother them, especially Jack. It would make sense for sound sensitivity to be genetic....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Ok, Elegy, I've been dying to ask somebody this. My roommate's dog takes Xanax for storms and fireworks also... Does it give Steve the munchies? LOL Because her dog is normally very reserved/inhibited around food, but on Xanax, oh man, he's like a teenage boy, he'll eat anything he can find. One night he chewed open and ate an entire bottle of honey, and that's soooo not like him. I looked it up and it seems people get the munchies from Xanax, and I'm wondering if anybody else's dog does!

Original topic: Keeva doesn't care about fireworks/storms at all, but I know of plenty of Cardis who do.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Top Dog

Just sent this back to BowWowFlix: Dog Behavior, Medicine & Training: Storm & Other Phobias, Ian Dunbar

On the DVD, apparently the formula for a "noise phobic dog" is- Large, Black, Herding breed

That would be Enda, who was destroyed by two seperate events during her second major fear period. Not saying she would have turned out normal had I done SEVERAL things differently, as yes I also believe there is a major correlation with genetics. All I can say this far in Beaucerons, stay away from pedigrees with a bitch by the name of "Tennessee" in it.

But also mentioned in that DVD which was interesting, dogs who show noise phobia before the age of 1 year are the ones who usually have it for life and tend to get worse. This would explain why Jinjo is getting much better, he's always had an under the bed hiding thing with the vacuum cleaner since puppyhood, but he wasn't "noise phobic" till an bad instance with my brother and some bottle rockets when he was about 4-5 years old. In 2008 was when the terror started though, my father got a present the previous year of a Nail gun, we were building the chicken coop for our new lot of 26 chickens, and that was it for him. No idea what happened, but a few years later it was so bad when we torn apart the stair case to replace the warped landing, he actually some how managed to jump across the hole in the floor that went to the basement, and I found him shaking and drooling in the bathtub! Fast forward, yesterday afternoon a few neighbors decided to unload some left over fireworks, I had my two in the back yard and instantly Enda ran to hide in the garage, Jinj, sat by the fence keeping one angry eye on a certain naughty sheep, he was NORMAL!

So, I do believe and see a lot of what was said on the video, and I would suggest you rent it if you have BowWow if you have a dog with noise issues, I found it to be very interesting.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:13 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Ok, Elegy, I've been dying to ask somebody this. My roommate's dog takes Xanax for storms and fireworks also... Does it give Steve the munchies? LOL Because her dog is normally very reserved/inhibited around food, but on Xanax, oh man, he's like a teenage boy, he'll eat anything he can find. One night he chewed open and ate an entire bottle of honey, and that's soooo not like him. I looked it up and it seems people get the munchies from Xanax, and I'm wondering if anybody else's dog does!
LOL That is too funny! It does not give Steve the munchies. It'd kinda be handy if it did, because it would help with counter-conditioning. He's still too stressed by storms to take food, even with Xanax :-/

ETA: The Canine Behavioral Genetics project out of UCSF is also looking specifically at noise phobias. Somebody actually contacted me asking if I'd be able to send Steve's DNA to them because he's a stormphobic BC with known lines.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I always thought of it as a noise-sensitivity correlation, too.

Rosey, thankfully, couldn't care less of storms and fireworks and, well, anything. It would have made sense for her to learn it because I am terrified of thunder, but, she never has.

Harley is fine with noises too. Renegade needs to be sedated for fireworks, and Ella hates loud noises so I'm sure she'd need to be (I wasn't home for Canada day fireworks). I'm not surprised, Halrley had a fabulous home before me, whilst ren and Ella's previous homes are questionable

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-07-2012, 06:38 PM
treehugging clicker freak

When I first got Bailey I ordered a thundershirt because of how flighty she is, I thought for sure she would be terrified of storms and thunder. But much to my surprise, it doesnt bother her at all. Luckily, a friend needed the thundershirt lol So on the fourth we were all outside and 5 houses down they started shooting off fire works, she wasn't phased... which shocks me every time. Good grrl Bailey!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Top Dog

I think it can be both. Peewee was never bothered by loud noises. Now a boom from either fireworks or thunder has him running and hiding. He does have more of a reaction to fireworks than thunder though. And hes 14. I think the move had him stressed and with all the fireworks going off just sent him over the edge.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Kaydee

Interesting thought, I guess it might be that dog hearing is way more advanced than cats? I'm not really sure. But the dog paces and shivers then lays in the dark quiet bathroom during storms or even rain. The cats just lay around,even in open windows snoozing. Maybe an ear will twitch with a particularly loud bang, but otherwise they seem oblivious. Is it just more a dog thing?