Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Mutts to you

Mick and Murph are both afraid of thunderstorms and gunfire, they've been like that since I got them. Luckily, they're not destructive or self-destructive, they just want to hide in the basement during storms. The gunfire fear was learned, former owners let them roam and former neighbors didn't care for having their chickens killed or cattle chased. I'm kinda surprised they survived the first 2 years of their lives.

Riley, on the other hand, doesn't care about thunderstorms or gunfire but panics over someone (not us) hammering, car doors slamming or any loud bang, and semi-trucks going by the car when we're on the highway.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 07-07-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm All Ears

I swore I just posted something but basically the gist of it was asking what in particular you do for Steve? Also how does he react?

I think there was more than that but now I can't remember what I apparently didn't post.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

The only bad dog I knew was my cousins lab. She would throw herself into the bathtub and wine and try to chew on the tub. She would chew on her paws and tail to. It was bad.

None of my dogs have ever had issues with noise but we have such a loud household how could they? We have four wheelers and shoot all the time.

We have a corgi and a cattle dog and neither have issues. Nor do the dobe and husky.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 07-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Top Dog

Casey is the only one here that would get really freaked out. She wasn't totally destructive but she wanted to be near someone, would pant and pace. Sometimes she got acute diarrhea from the stress. Now she's pretty deaf and doesn't hear it..lol.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Kaydee

I've read there's even service dogs that spook from thunder, of course in training they have to even ignore gunfire. They work with them by positive re enforcement while trying to desensitize from the noise. They mention alot of German Shepards and Catahoulas so I don't know how breed specific the fear is. Obviously if the dog still shies after a few months, it's not going on the field.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Top Dog

Kai doesn't go crazy during thunderstorms. He starts to shake and goes in the bath tub or in the closet. We always say that if we have a serious natural disater we will follow the dog.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Animal Lover

I don't know about it being genetic.. never thought of it that way and I am pretty sure Jenny and Ginger both RIP didn't learn that behavior. Even the most stable dog can have fear of fireworks and storms.

It's pretty common, my 3 dogs right now don't care about fireworks and thunderstorms. Buster barks at the fireworks but he's not terrified of them. I know Miagi my cat is afraid of them, he went missing last summer and got outside somehow and he is an indoor only cat. It wasn't from the 4th of July, it was the Evel Knieval days that my town is a huge part of and they lit fireworks and Miagi got scared and got outside. He was gone for a day and a half, but made his way back home when I went looking for him one night.

Tiger and Angel don't seem to mind them.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Taxiderpy

I think that some dogs are born noise sensitive. That sensitivity can then develop into a phobia depending on environment and life experiences.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:51 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I swore I just posted something but basically the gist of it was asking what in particular you do for Steve? Also how does he react?
He mostly crams himself in a corner and shakes. Now he takes Xanax and we have figured out that he feels the most comfortable in my car in the attached garage, so I try to give him access to there during storms. Second choice is the bathtub. The Xanax isn't perfect, especially if I can't get it into him before he starts feeling the storm (and he'll start reacting before I can hear it), but it does help. And even if I'm late getting it into him, it dramatically decreases the recovery time afterward.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Yes, in Border Collies they are doing a lot of research with BAER to try to pinpoint the noise phobia gene. I have definitely seen a correlation in certain lines.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?