Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Top Dog

As already mentioned, your Chi's behavior is normal. I always started leash training by putting the collar/harness and leash on the pup, and then just sitting in the front yard and letting the pup set the pace. If the pup just sat there, I just sat there. After about 5-10 minutes, we'd go back in. It soon progresses to the pup starting to walk around to investigate the yard, and I'll just follow along without putting any resistance on the leash. I have had all my pups (and I've had a LOT!) walking gently on a leash within 7-10 days this way. It's about providing security and building confidence instead of making demands.

With that said, my first question is "after the unexpected death of your Lab, do you see yourself owning a Chihuahua for the next 12 years?". I ask because, while we often want and take on a second dog of a different breed/type, it's not always what we want in a primary dog. If your primary dogs is gone, then sometimes you'll feel like the fit isn't right. If this is how you feel, regardless of being depressed, then I would gently suggest returning the puppy.

I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but IMO, giving the pup a second chance of a better-fitting home is a responsible thing to do. I'm not one to force someone to keep a dog that is not a good fit for one's family and/or lifestyle.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Top Dog

As already mentioned, your Chi's behavior is normal. I always started leash training by putting the collar/harness and leash on the pup, and then just sitting in the front yard and letting the pup set the pace. If the pup just sat there, I just sat there. After about 5-10 minutes, we'd go back in. It soon progresses to the pup starting to walk around to investigate the yard, and I'll just follow along without putting any resistance on the leash. I have had all my pups (and I've had a LOT!) walking gently on a leash within 7-10 days this way. It's about providing security and building confidence instead of making demands.

With that said, my first question is "after the unexpected death of your Lab, do you see yourself owning a Chihuahua for the next 12 years?". I ask because, while we often want and take on a second dog of a different breed/type, it's not always what we want in a primary dog. If your primary dogs is gone, then sometimes you'll feel like the fit isn't right. If this is how you feel, regardless of being depressed, then I would gently suggest returning the puppy.

I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but IMO, giving the pup a second chance of a better-fitting home is a responsible thing to do. I'm not one to force someone to keep a dog that is not a good fit for one's family and/or lifestyle.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post

I agree with this, seconding the advice for getting Percy use to a leash gradually and additionally, introducing him to the big world around him little by little, not over whelming him. Make everything that is potentially scary associated with positive things...his favorite treat, a moment of play with a toy, lots of praise. Get him out and about but be careful not to over whelm him. If he doesn't like people groping/petting him, work up to that gradually also...on his terms. Too much overt stuff toward timid puppies is no good.

I don't think anyone should keep a dog where they think they may not be the best person for that dog and I wouldn't fault you under your circumstances for sending him back to the breeder. But I do agree that right after this sudden shock of losing Leo, your decision making ability may be skewed a little. So, take extra caution as you try to decide. But yeah....the earlier you can make the decision, the better for the pup. I'm so very sorry for your loss. It will take time, but the pain will ease.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I don't think anyone should keep a dog where they think they may not be the best person for that dog and I wouldn't fault you under your circumstances for sending him back to the breeder. But I do agree that right after this sudden shock of losing Leo, your decision making ability may be skewed a little. So, take extra caution as you try to decide. But yeah....the earlier you can make the decision, the better for the pup. I'm so very sorry for your loss. It will take time, but the pain will ease.
This sums it up for me. I think you really need to make sure this isn't just a snap decision you are making because of your sudden loss. If you give him up make sure it's because you really think he would be better off. You don't want to go a while and realize you gave up a little companion that you needed.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:36 AM
Puppy Dog

Thanks for your replies.

I am still heartbroken over the loss of Leo but I have decided that I am going to keep little Percy. I donít think I could live with myself if I gave him up. I do love him very much. I am working with the leash training with the method Miakoda recommended and he is slowly gaining more confidence. I initially got a chihuahua so I could have a small dog, as well a large one, a best of both worlds kind of thing. After Leo died I think I started wanting Percy to be exactly like him.

Hopefully with time, I can heal and one day have just as many great memories with Percy as I do with Leo.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Puppy Dog

Oh and also some pics of little Percy...

Old 07-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Felurian

He looks like he can fill in a lot of empty heart-space <3

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-09-2012, 02:14 AM
Show Dog

Im so sorry to hear Leo passed away He looked so beautiful, RIP baby.

And your new baby Percy is beautiful.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Top Dog

Percy is adorable...so sweet looking. (and I love the name...so cute) Like they say, "good things come in small packages." You'll bond with him in a big way in no time. And he'll be a comfort to you. It is good that you're taking things slowly with training. He's a baby and all the learning about his world, how to walk nicely and confidently on a leash takes time...growing up is a work in progress. I'm sure he'll be great.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Percy is adorable...so sweet looking. (and I love the name...so cute) Like they say, "good things come in small packages." You'll bond with him in a big way in no time. And he'll be a comfort to you. It is good that you're taking things slowly with training. He's a baby and all the learning about his world, how to walk nicely and confidently on a leash takes time...growing up is a work in progress. I'm sure he'll be great.
This!

He'll never take the place of your Leo, but he'll help fill the void in your heart.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep