Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Top Dog

Courtney is ILP/PAL registered to lure course and do junior showmanship. Was very simple!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:14 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
What I really, REALLY don't get is why Canine Partners can't do tracking? I get that herding and field trials and coursing are all breed/type specific, but tracking? It seems to be the odd man out, and it's long been an all-breed sport.
For the same reason that to this day the host clubs for Obedience, Rally, and Agility trials can decide the dirty mudbloods can't play at their particular event, no questions asked. Because people had great big tantrums over allowing the mix breeds to to play at all. Hence the original "separate but equal plan" to allowed the mudbloods to compete in their own classes (ie. we'd all be at an agility trial, running the same courses, but the mixes would be competing in a separate class against each other and working to earn separate titles...NAM (Novice Agility-Mixed) for instance). The reaction that little plan unleashed caused them to go back prior to implementation and decide to let the little mongrels play with the big kids...when the host clubs feel like including them.

...And yes this is a pet peeve topic for me lol

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
For the same reason that to this day the host clubs for Obedience, Rally, and Agility trials can decide the dirty mudbloods can't play at their particular event, no questions asked. Because people had great big tantrums over allowing the mix breeds to to play at all. Hence the original "separate but equal plan" to allowed the mudbloods to compete in their own classes (ie. we'd all be at an agility trial, running the same courses, but the mixes would be competing in a separate class against each other and working to earn separate titles...NAM (Novice Agility-Mixed) for instance). The reaction that little plan unleashed caused them to go back prior to implementation and decide to let the little mongrels play with the big kids...when the host clubs feel like including them.

...And yes this is a pet peeve topic for me lol
Haha, you and me both. I actually got an email from the AKC way back when asking me why I hadn't completed Mackenzy's registration, and I told them I wasn't ok with "separate but equal". A few months later, it seemed I wasn't the only way with that sentiment.

ETA: Funny thing is that the people who do agility, rally, and OB? They're all for mixed breeds in competition. Most don't even particularly support the altered rule. IME it was people who've never stepped outside the breed ring that were pissed off it.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Oh and I don't know if this was part of the intention or not, but barring mix breeds from tracking also prevents them from earning any of the companion versatility titles, which require titling to various levels in Obedience, Agility, and Tracking IIRC

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
Old 07-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Even herding...there are enough purpose-bred mixed breeds now that could compete. Maybe they don't want mixed breeds kicking butt in these sports .
I think that with herding, there is the safety of the livestock to take into consideration. Not all breeds are suitable for herding and some are actually fairly likely to try to kill the livestock if they get overstimulated. Not to say herding breeds don't sometimes injure or even kill livestock but the risk increases if you start allowing whatever breed to give it a go. IMO it makes sense for herding, "real" coursing and field trials to not be open to mixed breeds because they aren't open to all purebreds. The tracking is a the odd one out for that though. It could in part be because there are so many fewer tracking trials and you can do so few dogs per day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post

ETA: Funny thing is that the people who do agility, rally, and OB? They're all for mixed breeds in competition. Most don't even particularly support the altered rule. IME it was people who've never stepped outside the breed ring that were pissed off it.
Not here. The obedience people here did not open trials to mixed breeds for probably a year or so after they were eligible. There was a big deal about who would be the first club in this part of Ohio to start and for awhile it seemed like no club wanted to be the first. "We'll wait until so and so offers it then we will". These were training clubs, not affiliated with breed clubs. And even still, not all of the trials are open to mixed breeds. We had a big 5 day show a couple months ago and some days were open to mixes and some weren't. I was also told by a Rally judge at our club last month that some Obedience/Rally judges still will not judge for clubs who allow mixed breeds to participate.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Are vision impaired dogs allowed to compete in AKC?
I have a friend with a deaf border collie who can't compete in AKC due to rules against deaf dogs competing.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I was also told by a Rally judge at our club last month that some Obedience/Rally judges still will not judge for clubs who allow mixed breeds to participate.
Well isn't that charming.

I don't pay an enormous amount of attention to AKC beyond our two local trials (both of whom offer mix breeds), but before I got Gusto I was thinking about putting MACH on Meg. Every trial I looked at in the North East was open to mixed breeds at that point.

We are lucky in our area that I could find 2 - 4 trials a month most of the year in any venue within what I consider a reasonable driving distance (3 hours or under). If you want to play USDAA, CPE, AKC, or NADAC/ASCA - it is your choice. USDAA will always get the majority of my trial funds!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:53 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Well isn't that charming.

I don't pay an enormous amount of attention to AKC beyond our two local trials (both of whom offer mix breeds), but before I got Gusto I was thinking about putting MACH on Meg. Every trial I looked at in the North East was open to mixed breeds at that point.

We are lucky in our area that I could find 2 - 4 trials a month most of the year in any venue within what I consider a reasonable driving distance (3 hours or under). If you want to play USDAA, CPE, AKC, or NADAC/ASCA - it is your choice. USDAA will always get the majority of my trial funds!
At least in the two states I've lived in while having competition dogs, Agility is very inclusive. Nearly all of the the all-breed trials allow mixes. There are still a few holdouts, usually breed clubs that are sponsoring an agility trial, but even those are rare. And I've never encountered an attitude issue at an AKC agility trial I've attended.

Obedience is a whole 'nother ball game. Maybe 50% of the all-breed trials in obedience allow mudbloods. And that's being generous...the last time I actually did a census (~6 months ago) it was more like 30%. Kim & Webby did UKC obedience before AKC allowed mixes at all anyway. Mira does AKC obedience since that's what her breed club recognizes but we've only entered trials that allow mix breeds even though she's not one. Not giving my entry money to clubs with their panties in a twist.

I wish we had USDAA here but there are only 2 trials a year within 3 hours. Outside of that we'd have to travel at least 6 hours each way...which just isn't feasible for us.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
In this area, the agility people seemed to be like "ok whatever" about mixes in AKC and most of the agility trials started allowing mixes maybe not right away but pretty quickly.

In some ways I do see the objection from the purebred dog community, in that AKC is supposed to be for and about purebred dogs. There's not many supporters left of purebred dogs really. However, I'm not sure allowing mixes really makes a big difference one way or another. And in reality, people have been competing with mixes in AKC since the ILP program was started. Now it's just done more honestly
Old 07-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I think that with herding, there is the safety of the livestock to take into consideration. Not all breeds are suitable for herding and some are actually fairly likely to try to kill the livestock if they get overstimulated. Not to say herding breeds don't sometimes injure or even kill livestock but the risk increases if you start allowing whatever breed to give it a go. IMO it makes sense for herding, "real" coursing and field trials to not be open to mixed breeds because they aren't open to all purebreds. The tracking is a the odd one out for that though. It could in part be because there are so many fewer tracking trials and you can do so few dogs per day?
Yeah, that's why tracking seems to stick out like a sore thumb to me also, as opposed to breed specific activities. It would get really hairy with mixed breeds. If I've got a Aussie/Dobe mix, let's say, does it get to herd because it's part Aussie or is it not allowed because Dobes are not a herding breed? Etc etc. But yeah tracking is all bred sooo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Not here. The obedience people here did not open trials to mixed breeds for probably a year or so after they were eligible. There was a big deal about who would be the first club in this part of Ohio to start and for awhile it seemed like no club wanted to be the first. "We'll wait until so and so offers it then we will". These were training clubs, not affiliated with breed clubs. And even still, not all of the trials are open to mixed breeds. We had a big 5 day show a couple months ago and some days were open to mixes and some weren't. I was also told by a Rally judge at our club last month that some Obedience/Rally judges still will not judge for clubs who allow mixed breeds to participate.
Ouch, I'm glad I'm not there! Everybody here has been really supportive, thankfully. I've gotten a lot of, "Oh... so your dog is mix? How does that work, exactly?" but nothing negative thus far.