Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Top Dog

Default ILP or Canine Partners?

I'm thinking I'm going to try out some rally with Romeo...it's now or never, really. He is a purebred ACD but not registered...is there a difference between registering PAL/ILP or the Canine Partners in AKC? He is neutered so that's not a big deal. I'm leaning towards Canine Partners because there are some extra benefits, but would like to know the difference.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Top Dog

If you are a Canine Partner, you get to say "Come on, partner" in a cowboy drawl whenever they call you from the gate at a trial.

Is there a bigger benefit than that?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 PM
overdogged

PAL identifies them as a breed and requires pictures. Canine Partners registers them as mixed breeds. All trials take ILP/PAL registered dogs. Not all trials take Canine Partners dogs. (Probably not a big deal with rally.)
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-06-2012, 08:31 PM
& the Muttly Crew

The difference is that if he's ILP'd as a ACD then he can do the "purebred ACD" stuff like Tracking and Herding (if they herd in AKC) in addition to Rally, Obedience, and Agility. He can't do conformation either way, or the other breed specific stuff that ACDs are not permitted to do, like hunt tests.

If he's a Canine Partner then he can play in Agility, Obedience, Rally, and the all-breed Lure Coursing ability test thing, but nothing else.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
The difference is that if he's ILP'd as a ACD then he can do the "purebred ACD" stuff like Tracking and Herding (if they herd in AKC) in addition to Rally, Obedience, and Agility. He can't do conformation either way, or the other breed specific stuff that ACDs are not permitted to do, like hunt tests.

If he's a Canine Partner then he can play in Agility, Obedience, Rally, and the all-breed Lure Coursing ability test thing, but nothing else.
Thanks! There's really nothing else he can do as his vision is deteriorating, or I would for sure be pursuing herding.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:13 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Thanks! There's really nothing else he can do as his vision is deteriorating, or I would for sure be pursuing herding.
Tracking could still be an option though if you are interested and his sight isn't too terrible. He would need the ILP for that. But yeah otherwise it doesn't really matter. Good luck either way

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
Old 07-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Yeah, I'd do ILP if possible for the reasons listed above. It's a little more work though, as you will have to send in pics and proof of spay/nueter. Also, it means that if you wanted to, for example, do Rally at an ACD speciality, you could. You won't have that ability with Canine Partners.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Top Dog

Hmm..yeah I guess you guys are right. Man I wish I could do tracking, would be so much fun...I just hate to put the time into training and not be able to. Blind tracking dog? I just don't know what kind of time we have now..he's blind at night/low light situations. They say it's about a year after you notice the night blindness, but I think it's been longer than that since I knew something was up.

This is actually kind of interesting..so say if you got a Kelpie, or even a mixed herding breed (Hangin tree, etc) that isn't listed under the ILP stuff, you wouldn't be able to do herding trials? That really sucks...something to consider for the future.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:07 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
This is actually kind of interesting..so say if you got a Kelpie, or even a mixed herding breed (Hangin tree, etc) that isn't listed under the ILP stuff, you wouldn't be able to do herding trials? That really sucks...something to consider for the future.
Correct. So the Kelpies and Koolies on this board wouldn't be able to do herding or tracking with AKC because they'd have to be registered as Canine Partners.

Further, they would have to be spay/neutered to do even that, so for them to compete in AKC they'd have to be taken out of the small gene pool for their breed in this country.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Correct. So the Kelpies and Koolies on this board wouldn't be able to do herding or tracking with AKC because they'd have to be registered as Canine Partners.

Further, they would have to be spay/neutered to do even that, so for them to compete in AKC they'd have to be taken out of the small gene pool for their breed in this country.
Plus... Typically people that get these non AKC herding dogs want to pursue herding in other venues or simply on their own ranches. The Kelpie people don't want their breed KC recognized (they are recognized in CKC though).

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug