Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Big Dog

Default Your ideal dog park

I'm looking into opening and running a private dog park in the future when I'm settled down in one area. If you could create an ideal dog park, what features would you include?

Things I'm already considering:
Double gated entries
Card key entry
Separate small dog/relaxed dog area
Some sort of water area
Behavior screening for dogs before they can use the park
Old 07-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Twin 2

A forest preserve/large wooded area with lakes/ponds. That's the only kind of dog park I'll go to, so that's my ideal! I like to be able to go for a hike with my dogs, not a fan of any of the smaller fenced in ones.

To be honest if I had to have my dogs screened before using the park I wouldn't bother to go.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Top Dog

I would like someone supervising and giving warnings/banning poorly behaved dogs and owners. That's it.

If there is a water area, it should either be large or easily washed out and replenished like baby pools, or treated. I've seen water features that are like 50x50 and I worry about disease living in the muck.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Mitch & Erin

Yeah behavior screening may not go over so well. It would probably be better to have a complaint hotline, with the number posted so its known that dogs and/or owners may be asked to leave. You'd probably only have to enforce it a few times anyway, before people just get it and use their own common sense.

I also feel like key cards could be a bit of a hassle, unless you are planning on having a membership system.

One of the parks here in Austin has some agility training equipment, and even people who aren't really training their dogs have fun with it. So that could be something to consider.

I would personally love to find a dog park with a sandbox type area. I would love to wrestle with Cthulhu in the sand, but theres no off leash sandy spots to go to.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Top Dog

I'd like a dog park just for my dogs!

They don't exactly play well with others.

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 07-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Wild At Heart

I love the private dog park that I go to! It is a 15+ acre dog park with 2 ponds AKA Harleigh's heaven!

We aren't members there because it is quite a trek, but we can go for daily visits which I love! This last time we got a park pass for $35 which includes 6 park visits and 2 baths - love this option too!

IMG_6919 by AdventuresOfACrazyLab, on Flickr

IMG_6926 by AdventuresOfACrazyLab, on Flickr

Harleigh <3
Old 07-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Lab Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
A forest preserve/large wooded area with lakes/ponds. That's the only kind of dog park I'll go to, so that's my ideal! I like to be able to go for a hike with my dogs, not a fan of any of the smaller fenced in ones.

To be honest if I had to have my dogs screened before using the park I wouldn't bother to go.
This is exactly my opinion too.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Obey the Toad.

Actually I think if it's a private dog park screening is a good idea. I am so over dealing with dogs that should never in a million years see the inside of a dog park, and owners who think it's no big deal to allow their dog to bully, harass, and resource guard 'til the cows come home. If I am going to pay a decent fee for a private park then behavior screenings is one of the things I'd expect honestly.

We do have one in the town that I work in that is private and does screenings, and if it were closer to where I lived I would be a member.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Top Dog

A perfect dog park would be one with a small dog/big dog seperation, as well as a private dog park for owners who just want an area for their dog to play alone. A pond in each one would be nice.The dog park is pretty great because it is seperated into three sections. Two big dog sections and one small dog section. I don't trust other people's dogs so I just go into the small dog park because it is rare for anyone for anyone to use it. The great thing is, if I go early in the morning, most of the time no one is there and I can use the big ones.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Kaydee

I'm thinking two central play areas like where we go-one for big and rowdy and one side for small dogs, but easygoing big dogs are also welcome. Fenced in trails seperate from the dog runs for safe off leash fun.

And I would love two things: a stream or shallow big pond, don't know how you'd keep it clean but Sophie loves water. And a piece of playground equipment modified for dogs. There's a people playground we go to when it's empty and there's a few sets of steps and a bridge and a leaning rock wall on one side. She was confused at first but when I climbed up first she figured it out right away. A playground jungle gym without monkey bars and slides...perfect!