Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Default Need advice/ideas/vibes

Knox is going to the vet as soon as they open in the morning. They couldn't get me in today, or he'd have already gone.

Last night we got home to a blown out crate. He was having liquid poop with a little bit of blood. Not a terrible lot either, so it just seemed like stress. He'd gotten it on himself, so I put him in the bath tub to clean him off. There were a LOT of fireworks and gunshots in my area.

That's when I noticed his ballsack is hugely inflamed and raw almost. He hasn't been irritating it the time since I've noticed it, and it wasn't like this the night before. They're hot and it doesn't look happy. I've been keeping it clean, but he won't let me put ice on it, and the vet asked me not to give him any benadryl in case it masks the symptons in the morning.

I think it must have been from either a tick bite or a spider bite. We've been dealing with spiders here for a minute, and that's the only thing I can think of that would cause such localized swelling. Ants would have gotten his penis and thighs as well as his ballsack I'd imagine.

So please vibes that its something antibiotics will get rid of, and it doesn't cause any permanant damage? Also vibes for him to just be comfortable tonight until we get to the vet in the morning. The swelling hasn't gone up since last night, but it hasn't gone down either.

If anyone has seen/heard of something like this happening before, that'd be great to know what the outcome was too. (He's intact)
Old 07-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Top Dog

The only thing I can think of is maybe the stools got on the area for too long and caused things to get infected, like a hot spot maybe?

You could try using brown listerine or cooled plain black tea to help sooth the area, works for hot spots. Poor dude...
Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Love my pets

Please let us know how he's doing....sending lots of healing vibes.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Top Dog

I have no idea what it could be but ****vibes****! I hope the vet can figure it out!

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 07-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Top Dog

Vibes!!!! Keep us updated, poor Knox!

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Well, we're back from the vet. Unfortunately they didn't know what caused it either. Just some sort of trauma to the area. He was only in his crate for a few hours, we'd been in and out all day. So he wasn't sitting in it for long, and he typically poops at the.back and scrunches up against the front. He'd pooped in the bbathroom while we cleaned his.crate up which is why he.got a bath.

The vet said spider bite seemed most likely to cause the swelling, but as for the raw skin, he seemed to think Knox chewed it. I'm not so sure, but he's now on pred, cephalexin and pepcid for about 10 to 15 days. Hopefully that clears everything up quickly.

And I love my vet. They let me do a payment plan, so I can call the payment in next week when I get paid, but it was still only sixty dollars. I'm having the scripts filled at public.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Bite Club

Poor guy - I hope it gets better soon!

~Aura & Riley~