Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Quote:
Where did you get your dog?
From the county animal control.

Quote:
How did you decide on that individual?
Fate! Long story, but I meant to rescue her and find her a home. I don't even know why I did, but something told me that I couldn't let this particular dog be killed. I found her a home all right... Everyone I showed her to said to me, "boy, that dog sure loves you!" I can't argue with fate. My life is now divided into two periods - Before Sienna, and After Sienna.

Quote:
Would you adopt again?
Probably. Not sure where or when I'll get another dog, and I'd like a specific breed (which breed that is keeps changing), and I want to make sure if I rescue, that I'm prepared to deal with any behavioral issues, since I had a bad experience with that Before Sienna. I'll probably check shelters for my next dog before looking at breeders.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Allons-y!

Neither of my current dogs are adopted, but I'll answer this for our first dog.

From a breed-specific rescue (collie)

It was my parents' decision, not mine. My mom wanted a collie because she had grown up with them. They chose Danny because based on the rescue's recommendations, he was the best fit for our family.

Would you adopt again?
Absolutely! I don't know what my dog-related plans are right now - not planning on another dog for at least five years. But I'm pretty certain I will adopt again at some point.

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 07-07-2012, 11:04 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Blackie was found as a stray by some friends of ours.
Rose's mom was found as a stray by us.
Chloe was a spur of the moment adoption.

Blackie was a Lab ("good family dog") and available. He loved us kids and we adored him, so my parents said, "Sure, why not?"
Rose was the puppy I picked out due to her coloring. Great way to pick a puppy, right? In my defense, I was six at the time. lol
Chloe was one of two puppies out of eight that actually approached me. The rest ran and hid. So I scooped her up and called her mine.

Would you adopt again?
Yes...IF I were adopting an older puppy/dog. Chloe's kind of scarred me, so I don't know if I'll ever adopt another eight week old puppy again. But older puppy (>4mths) whose temperament and personality I can evaluate? Sure. And I'd definitely adopt an adult dog that's been evaluated.
I definitely plan to have a rescue Pittie at some point in my life.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

I got Lady from one of my friends in middle school. Her older brother would get trashed and beat the crap out of her. I convinced my parents it was time to have a dog and she snuck lady over to me.

Really she just needed me and I was able to convince my parents at that time we needed a dog.

Would you adopt again?
IMO Lady was a special needs dog. Because of her history we had to go pretty far out of our way to make sure she had a happy life but I loved her. I have looked at other dogs with issues stemming from abuse before and I think eventually I'll get another.

Yoshi I got from the Rogers County Animal Shelter.

There was actually another puppy there that I wanted. It was a puppy puppy. About 8 weeks old. The first day I went up I fell in love with this poofy little puppy. I saw Yoshi going crazy in her area. She was 4 months old and waaay bigger than the other puppies in the area with her. The little boy I liked was on hold for the normal 3 days before anyone could adopt him. I went back the day before he would be available to make sure he was still there. When I got there a couple was looking at him. He was acting like a normal puppy interested in everything. I looked over and saw Yoshi again. She was still in the same area. A giant puppy with a ton of small puppies and she was going crazy on the chain link door again. One of the ladies that worked there asked the couple if they might be interested in her. They said no because she was crazy and they didn't want the ugly white dog. Granted Yoshi was missing patches of fur, smelled like hell and the tip of her tail was bald and gross looking.

Another lady came in and leashed her and when they stepped out of the area Yoshi started lunging against the leash to get to me and I asked if she was getting adopted and the lady told me no she was getting put down since she had been there so long. When I looked at her she sat down and stared at me and whined. I knelt down and she came over sat down and leaned into me. So I took her.

Would you adopt again?
Absolutely. It would most likely be a puppy/young dog. I love not knowing what rescued mixes are going to look like as adults. Rescued dogs are my favorite.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Show Dog

[QUOTE=sillysally;2020663]Questions for chazzers with adopted (rehomed, shelter or rescue, or found) pups....

Where did you get your dog? Eleventh Hour Rescue. An adoption event at a mall. I just went to look and kill a Sunday afternoon. I wasn't planning on bringing anything home, let alone without discussing with the husband during our first year of marriage.

How did you decide on that individual? His cute face really. There were so many dogs, and it broke my heart.

Would you adopt again? Absolutely! I'm tempted everyday to get another.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Top Dog

Where did you get your dog:
Ginger: she was surrendered to my workplace when her owner was going to take her to the pound (at age 10...)
Newt: Found and surrendered to my workplace (noticing a trend?...) after running the freeway
Nog: CL rehome

How did you choose:
Ginger: Saw her and felt she was adorable. Another coworker fostered/kept her for a month before deciding to give her up, at which time we took her
Newt: I thought she was cute, in an icky way(she was scaly and hairless) and then one day the lad came in and wrote our last name on her cage card, lol
Nog: we had always wanted a Brussels Griffon, but had assumed we'd one day have to go to a breeder..they just aren't seen around here. He was already familiar with dogs, cats and babies, so it seemed meant to be. He fit right in and loved everyone.

Would you rescue again:
All of our future small dogs will probably be rescued or adopted (as they've always been). I'm not a fan of having to jump through a million hoops, so we probably won't go to a no kill/rescue type organization, but a shelter or private rehome for certain.

ETA: not a dog, but both of our Persians are adopted as well...Abner from work (lol) and Falafel from the county shelter.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Blonde Raccoon

Where did you get your dog? An animal shelter a couple cities over.
How did you decide on that individual? Well I was fifteen and dumb and pretty much settled on him because he was cute. I love him to pieces, don't get me wrong, but he's probably the LEAST compatible dog for my type of lifestyle.
Would you adopt again? Probably. My next dog is coming from a breeder, but if I want a companion dog somewhere down the line I'll rescue again.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Wu-Tang Steph

Smalls I found on PetFinder at a very rural animal control about 5 hours away. Jack and Jonas came from a rescue about a half hour away, and Magpie I saw on a community lamenting the horrible things people do with animals and she came to me all the way from an animal control in southern Illinois.

Smalls was just one of those "Yep, that's the dog." sort of things, on her pictures alone. Jack was picked by my boyfriend, and Jonas was a Dachshund who needed some (a lot) of TLC. Magpie had a very sad photo of the state she was in with an awful story and something about her face told me to get her here.

Would you adopt again?

I don't really have any plans to acquire my dogs through any other avenue.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:44 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

This is kinda mixed as my sister got her from the shelter, and then after not being able to care for her properly I took her in.

Charlie is from a shelter/rescue in IN, and was transported with her litter to Maine. My sister couldn't manage a puppy plus a 4 and 1 year old kids, so I took her in when my sister was going to sell her (I had gotten attached).

My niece picked her out from the litter. I decided to keep her because she fit what I wanted for dog #5, energetic, agility prospect, smart (though she came about 5 years too soon!!)

Would you adopt again?
My sister probably wouldn't (at least I hope not). I was always leery of adopting dogs from shelter, just basing on unknown histories, my requirement, and that they must be small animal and kid safe, but after having Charlie I could see myself adopting from a shelter, most likely another BC or BC mix.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

A local rescue that brings dogs (vast majority of which are puppies) from a farming/rural area.

I had major puppy fever but was trying to be mature and adult about it. I volunteered for the rescue, telling myself that at most I would foster a puppy so I could see if I could really handle it. Also, I was thoroughly convinced that I needed to foster a slightly older black puppy who would have a harder time getting adopted.

I noticed B's litter and he was the only male (I wanted a boy) and he was adorable. They were very sleepy and were kind of being passed over as a result (much to my surprise). So when things were slow I would take him out and snuggle him. And at one point I took him into an ex pen and he turned into a crazy, hilarious little puppy. When I saw other people start to notice him, I quickly scooped him up and announced that I was adopting him.

Would you adopt again?

Yes. I love Bailey with all my heart and feel so, so lucky to have him.

But I'm not sure what form it would take, or when. I went the breeder route for Grace largely because I had such specific criteria, including a specific temperament that would mesh well with Bailey's. Plus three dogs seems impossible, and my two are going to live forever.