Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Show Dog

Where did you get your dog? Local no-kill shelter(the shelter that was featured on the ep of it's me or the dog before like 5 years before it went downhill)

How did you decide on that individual? Just walked in and checking the place out and she was the crazy spazz going nuts in her cage every time someone would walk past and because of her crazy energy people looked her over. Plus she was a "big dog" in the little dog area. So all the other dogs were like JRT mixes and other small breeds where as she was a 35lb lab mix so most people in there were probably looking for a smaller dog

Would you adopt again? Most definitely. My plans are if I want a serious working dog etc I'll go to a breeder and if I want a companion/agility dog then I will adopt
Old 07-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Top Dog

Where did you get your dog?
Lily: Meridian Valley Humane Society
Scout: Private Rehome

How did you decide on that individual?
Lily: I knew she was perfect the second I met her. Even seeing her ad I had a hunch...
Scout: Well I turned her down multiple times. Finally it was between me and the shelter and I knew she deserved better than the shelter so I took her in.

Would you adopt again?
Lily: I did, took in Scout.
Scout: Honestly ... its not that appealing. But I'm sure I will because I'm a sucker for animals in need. They seem to show up. Looking into fostering and have a feeling thats going to end in adoption someday lol.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Top Dog

I adopted Zuma through a 501(c)3 private rescue that specializes in herding breeds.

I loved her look and description on Petfinder. Emailed the foster family and asked a ton of really specific questions regarding toy drive, interactions with other dogs/people, etc. I then went out to meet her and fell absolutely in love, we picked her up the next day.

Would you adopt again?
Yes, as long as the dog was in a foster home so that they would have the answers to the questions I ask.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Top Dog

All of my current dogs are from breeders, but we've adopted in the past.

A breeder who was heavily involved with rescuing Dobermans in Alberta.

We weren't even looking. My mom worked in the same building as the breeder and somehow the breeder heard our Rottweiler was sick/didn't have much longer and asked mom if she'd be interested in meeting an older male Doberman she'd recently pulled from somewhere.

We met him, fell in love instantly, and just knew he was meant to be ours. We were all hesitant prior to meeting him (didn't know a lot about Dobermans, minimal experience with male dogs), but he was one of those dogs you couldn't help but love right away. He was the perfect fit and a fantastic introduction to the breed.

We also adopted a Rottweiler puppy that had a few screws loose from our local Rottweiler Rescue group. They're a good organization for sure, but as the dog grew up, it became very apparent that something was very 'off' about her. We ended up having her PTS.

And we'd adopted a human and dog aggressive Toller from our shelter who never should have been adopted out. He was downright scary and dangerous. I've heard similar stories from people with dogs from the same place so that leads me to believe they don't temperament test very well. And we were new to the whole adopting thing and didn't do different things with him upon meeting that we probably should have. Live and learn. They apologized profusely and couldn't believe he was deemed safe for adoption once they saw for themselves.

Would you adopt again?

From the right place, probably. Likely only from breed specific rescue or an actual rescue organization though, after the terrible experience with our local shelter. Also, I'd probably only adopt adult dogs. I don't want the unpredictability of what a puppy might grow up to be like with no known history.

I am much more of a raise my own puppy from a good breeder type of person though. Chances are I will adopt again someday, but most of my dogs will be from breeders.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 07-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

We found Suzie a couple houses down in the middle of a intersection. My mom pulled over, opened her door to try and get her out of the road, and she jumped in immediately. We put up signs, did the whole business, but no owner showed up, and she stayed with us.

She was probably allowed to stay because she was just so pleasant and easy going, and our other dog at the time liked her and actually played with her even though she was like.. 17 years old at the time.

Would you adopt again?
Heck yeah. I'm gonna steer my family in that direction as well, because there are so many dogs out there that would fit my family perfectly.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Kaydee

Just a thought for folks who are maybe just looking for a happy mutt...especially if you live near a large city. Even if you're willing to drive to a big city.

Certainly if you are particular about lineage or breed a rescue or breeder is the way to go. If you don't have any dog experience a good breeder or rescue can guide you better in a good fit. They'll know their dogs personalities and health.

But if you have some degree of positive dog experience and don't cry easy, city shelters are overflowing with potentially wonderful dogs. It's an experienc e of what you see is what you get. Possibly no history at all, an accurate health profile or possibly not, an accurate behavior appraisal or not. It can be a crap shoot, but you might also find the doggie of your dreams.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Top Dog

Robyn was from an afghan hound rescue found via petfinder.
Trin was from the same rescue of course (they are littermates) added 6 months later.
Mina (who I am still waiting on) was found via a post on Kijiji about the Arabian saluki rescue of Canada

Initially both Robyn and her brother were available and I had my eye on her brother but I let Erica, the woman who runs the afghan rescue decide which pup she though would be the best fit. We'd spoken over the phone for hours over a two week period and she made the right choice! Perfect fit!
Trin came along after the puppymill they are both from was shut down. I'd already spoken to Erica about adding another afghan hound and suddenly there was a whole family to pick from! Robyn prefers to play with other females so I declined the boys which left Trin and their mom. Mom still had lots of trust issues and what better friend is their than your dorky sister?
Mina I still haven't even met! She is currently in Dubai and flying to Canada at the end if the month. I hope this is the right choice! I gave a list of my requirements for what a 3 rd dog needed to have to have the best chance of fitting in with my two, lets hope I was right in this choice!

Would you adopt again?
I will only ever adopt. All the Afghan hounds I've had over the years have all been rescues and I am now deeply involved in sighthound rescue and I all to aware now that there are many many to choose from, even breeds as rarely seen as my Afghans and Salukis, there are still lots in need of homes, usually more than enough for you to pick and choose for the best fit.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

Where did you get your dog? Todd was from Retired Greyhound Trust (Skye branch - http://skye.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/)
How did you decide on that individual? He needed a home the most, after having 2 failed homes.
Would you adopt again? Yes!

Where did you get your dog? Lucy was also from the Retired Greyhound Trust, same as Todd.
How did you decide on that individual? She was the only one at the centre that didn't have a racing past. She wasn't fast enough for the track.
Would you adopt again? Yes, always.

Where did you get your dog? Katy was from the KWK9 Rescue in Caithness (http://www.kwk9.org/)
How did you decide on that individual? She was the only Lurcher there.
Would you adopt again? Yes.

My Photos
Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

[QUOTE=Kaydee;2021079

But if you have some degree of positive dog experience and don't cry easy, city shelters are overflowing with potentially wonderful dogs. It's an experienc e of what you see is what you get. Possibly no history at all, an accurate health profile or possibly not, an accurate behavior appraisal or not. It can be a crap shoot, but you might also find the doggie of your dreams.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's how I got my cat. He's awesome! But my requirements were limited to male, calm, cuddly, older than a kitten but not super old. I'm in much more specific need when it comes to my dogs, plus, purebred dogs are a hobby for me. But yeah, for a good ol' dog (or cat), very often a rescue pet is ideal.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Top Dog

Dante was from a Great Dane Rescue out of Arkansas.

Technically, we didn't. The rescue had taken in over 30 dogs from a local "breeder" who "got in over her head". We chose a frenchie, his dad, and his older brother before we chose Dante. The rescue pushed us pretty hard in getting one of the unborn pups from this pregnant bitch. That was how we got Dante.

Would you adopt again?
A Bullmastiff? Not likely. Not a breed I'm really into, not even for adoption.

Gustav "da Goose" was from a shelter out of Arkansas.

Petfinder, mostly. He also came in a litter, but he was the pup that we "clicked" with.

Would you adopt again?
If I could get another Goose, absolutely. GSD/Sibe mix is where it's at, despite my wariness over GSD mixes.

The Bottle Girls, Eve and Indy, came from Memphis Animal Shelter.

They were 2 in a litter of 6 we were "fostering". We chose two girls, and two that we couldn't mix up...one black, one merle. Lol.

Would you adopt again?
Despite being mostly total mutts, I'd probably do it again, especially if I'm just looking for an active pet. Techincally, we never adopted the girls, though. The shelter simply forgot about them/never had them in the system, and we never brought it up.