Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 PM
overdogged

Where did you get your dog?

Luce: Harrisburg city shelter
Mushroom: rescue through a vet's office in NJ
Harv (RIP): York city shelter

How did you decide on that individual?

Luce: there was something in her expression when she was in her kennel that was appealing, reminded me of another dog I knew and liked. And then she dove snorting and snorgling into my lap and kissed my face and that was the end of it.

Mushroom: He needed a home. Luce liked him. He liked Luce.

Harv: I was looking for an old, medium-sized, male dog. He fit the bill. He was a nice dog. That was all I was looking for.

Would you adopt again?

Yes, absolutely. I'm a little iffy on rescues and all their hoops and requirements, but my experiences with shelter adoptions have been good and I would do it again.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

Heineken- my husband found him running down the sidewalk in Kingston, NY soon after we got engaged. He brought him to my parents, where I was living, "just for over night". We put up posters near where he was found and ran an ad in the paper. Nobody claimed him. Ten years later, Heineken laid down to take a nap and didn't wake up.

Mick- a local rescue group

Heineken- his personality. By the day after he was found, I was dreading the phone ringing.

Mick- again, personality. While the other pups in his litter were making all kinds of noise and jumping against the front of the crate, Mick was quietly sitting at the back watching everyone.

Would you adopt again?
Yes. We looked into rescues before we bought Caleb. Just couldn't find the right dog.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Love My Mutt <3

A friend or neighbour of my aunt's found her on the highway (interstate) and couldn't keep her, asked my aunt to keep her and she couldn't but promised to find her a good forever home.

I hated dogs at the time, and never wanted a dog. I was terrified thanks to an aggressive dog that was allowed to roam in the neighbourhood. For the first week and a half, I yelled whenever she came near me while I was on the couch.

Wasn't really a choice, it was her or none and my parents decided to take her.

Would you adopt again?

Absolutely.

I'll add as well, that all of my ferrets have either been private rehomes (Rascal, Renegade and Rogue) or through the rescue (Harley and Ella), and will always be (unless I ever get a breeder ferret)

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Mitch & Erin

Where?
Nearby humane society in the next county.

How did you decide?
Cthulhu ran with me for a bit, then jumped in my lap and smiled/stuck his tongue out. That was all I needed.

Adopt again?
Yes, but next time it's puppies only. Even a dog that's only a year old can have a past, and without knowing it's really hard to know what issues may arise. In Cthulhu's case, dog aggression.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Top Dog

Where did you get your dog? Zoie came from animal services in Tampa

How did you decide on that individual? I had been looking half heartedly for a while. The second I saw Zoie, I rang up my mom to come meet her..NOW. She was loud in the kennel and mom didn't like that very much...mom took out a shepherdy mix, and we didn't click. We took out Zoie and she was just 'the one'.

Skye was tied outside the vet office I worked at. They sent her to animal services and I visited her often. One day the ACO came up and told me she had broken her leg in the kennel and were going to put her down...so I took her, and the rest is history.

Boomer was dog #3. We had moved to FL, and decided on getting another dog. Went shelter shopping, got him from some high kill place I think in st. pete. My first choice was actually a redbone hound, but we were concerned about that dog getting along with our old akita mix. Boomer fit in perfectly.

Casey was dog #2, she was being hand raised by a friend of the family's through a shelter. We didn't look at any others, my mom always wanted a GSD, and we took her home at 5/6 weeks. My aunt adopted her brother, and my aunt's neighbor adopted the other brother.

Would you adopt again? Yes, but I'm a sucker for the urgent lists and 'saving' something at the last moment. I'll probably always have some sort of hick hunting hound mix (like Skye) from a shelter. I might be interested in a herding mix from the shelter but where I'm interested in sports, health testing is a concern. Romeo has genetic retinal atrophy and is going blind...Zoie has luxating patellas..it's a big concern.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Duuuuude.

He came from the National Brittany Rescue & Adoption Network.

They did, really. There was a particular dog I was interested in when I applied but by the time my app had been processed, he had found a new home, so they basically said "Well we have this one, would you like to meet him instead?"

Would you adopt again?

Absolutely! I think I want my next dog to come from a breeder because I've never had that experience, and there are certain benefits (knowing the dogs health history/ancestry/etc being the big one) but I'm sure there will be more adopted dogs in my future too.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 07-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Top Dog

Argon- Through a shelter I used to work at
Gambit- A shelter in KY
Argon- I didn't. One of my old coworkers called and told me he had lost his home after 5 years. Would I take him for 2 weeks? And the rest was history...
Gambit- Mint mojitos were very involved. I was tipsy, cruising 1800saveapet and looking for whippets. Then ACD's. Then Aussies. Then I saw his puppy picture and thought, yep, there he is.
Would you adopt again?
Yes, but I would be much more cautious. Gambit's shelter screwed me in every way possible (well, of course they're coydogs, but if we tell people that, no one will take them ). I would probably want to foster first, especially with Argon's DA issues.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:21 AM
BusterLove

Found Buster in a car park when he was about 8 weeks old.

Noone else would pickup the dumped puppy screaming his head off outside the shop. We tried to find his owners/rehome him for 2 weeks before we decided he just tried too bloody hard to be a good dog.

Would you adopt again?
Yes, under the right circumstances.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Local Humane Society.

We came to look at his sister, but she was adopted out just as we arrived. When they took her out of the pen, Baby Morgan sat down and cried the most pitiful "woooooooooooo". Then he came to the side of the pen where I was standing, stood up, and "woooo"ed in my direction. That was all I needed.

Would you adopt again?
I would.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:14 AM
love herds

We saw an ad for a westie in a foster home on Kijiji (a lot of the smaller rescues here that have their dogs in foster homes versus a shelter post their dogs on it)
His litter was dropped off at the vet by a shady byb, where they where kenneled for awhile, then put in a foster home.

I was casually looking for a small dog and had narrowed it down to cocker, mini-poodle and westie. I e-mailed about a poodle and the Westie and went to see the westie first. He had been adopted out with his brother and then returned because the two together where to much for her. This poor little dog was 5 months old and going on his fifth home. I went in stoically vowing that I would view the other dog the next day before making a decision. Then this rediculous looking little scruffy flop eared westie bounded up to me and crawled into my lap and cuddled for a 3/4's of an hour until I left....to buy puppy provisions for the following day as he was clearly mine. The foster mom said he was loaded with spunk and loved to hike and swim and she picked my application because everyone else wanted a lap dog and that was not going to work for this guy. He really was meant to be mine I think.

Would you adopt again?
Absolutely! My next terrier will be an adopted one for sure.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)