Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Obey the Toad.

Default Adoption....

Questions for chazzers with adopted (rehomed, shelter or rescue, or found) pups....

Where did you get your dog?
How did you decide on that individual?
Would you adopt again?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

A local no-kill rescue.

Honestly, it will sound corny, but there was just a spark with Mackenzy. She looked right at us when we spoke like she desperately wanted to know what we were saying. She was just... right.

Would you adopt again?

Probably not. She's a fantastic dog, no doubt, but my interests lie elsewhere, and I don't really want to deal with another altered dog unless I have to. Plus many places won't adopt dogs to homes with intact dogs anyway. I'm sure I'll have "rescue" animals throughout my life, they probably just won't come from formal shelters or rescues.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Arnold was found. Shamoo was a CL rehoming (by a friend who was her pet sitter when the owner went to hospice). I decided to keep Arnold because I fell for him day 1. I kept Shamoo because I figured no one else would want her and then became totally head over heels for her. I would absolutely adopt again.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

Meg: She was a transport from West Virginia from a high-kill shelter. My good friend runs a rescue, and took down the general stats I wanted (age, gender, coat) and said she'd start pulling dogs that fit those needs. Meg was one of the first she brought up here with me in mind, and she arrived at midnight one night. The next morning, I got a phone call saying "I have your dog". I did foster her for a few weeks first before deciding for sure, but it was right.

Gusto: He was from an oops litter on an Amish working farm. Their working BC got pregnant with who-knows-what. The litter was essentially abandoned in a nasty trailer on the property. BC rescue got wind of them, and a friend went to pick them up. I saw a photo on Facebook and said "I need this puppy".

See above for the generals. Meg was almost nothing like what I wanted. She had dog issues, she was scared of the world, and she had a badly scarred elbow and a limp. Exactly not my agility dog prospect. But she was so, so good about everything. I got tears in my eyes the first time I saw her, when she was limping around the room and a child who was there picked her up by her front legs and lifted her. Meg didn't so much as give the kid a mean look. She was just too good of a dog to say "you aren't what I want" to.

Gusto - Well, he was exactly what I was looking for. And so, so bad.

Would you adopt again?

Heavens yes. While I wouldn't pull buying a dog off the table 100%, I will more than likely adopt all my future dogs. I've hit the jackpot both times.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Kim - Petfinder. ~3 months old.
Webster - Fish store. Convoluted rehome. ~1 year old.
In both cased I was looking to add a dog but really I just fell in love with both their faces and type. Totally rational
Would you adopt again?
You betcha.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 07-05-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Kaydee

Humane Society on Evergreen in Newark, NJ

We decided on that shelter because we figured it was doing a good deed, it's a big city shelter full of critters that desperately need homes...or they won't be there the following week.

We decided on Sophie after meeting dog 1 who was a big happy guy who was dragging the linebacker sized handler down the hall...then dog 2 who seemed to be a shell shocked lab mix...

Under the pile of barking and growling there was Sophie, clay covered and bone skinny. Anyone doing one of those dog evaluations wouldn't have even noticed her. But the third time I returned to her kennel after doing the paperwork she saw me. And somehow wriggled above all the other dogs and did this great leap over their heads-" SHE"S HERE FOR ME!!!!ME!!!ME!!! Then I knew she picked me.

Would you adopt again?

Absolutely, and from the same shelter too. You have to steel yourself to go in there and have some definite idea of what you want. We got our cat Levon there too, one of a kind personality.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Top Dog

I got Jack from a rescue when he was 5 months old. We already had 4 dogs and I was currently looking at a different dog, older female, in the rescue but was having a hard time getting my parent's on board. The next week I went to an adoption event and the dog I originally wanted had been adopted but there was a lab mix puppy (Jack). My dad has a soft spot for labs and it was the only dog he agreed to on the spot, so I took him home. If I had to do it all over again he is totally not the dog I should've picked but I was desperate. I would totally like to rescue again but it'll be an adult dog that I've had te opportunity to meet & interact with multiple times and I will definitely be pickier.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier
Old 07-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Top Dog

Mammoth: The rescue I work for pulled him on his last day in a WV shelter. He was wasting away and my mother stepped forward and suggested we foster him. Being seventeen and dying for my very own dog, I spent almost three months calling potential adopters and telling them that he was aggressive and awful and GO AWAY HE'S MINE.

Bailey: Not a rescue persay, but we picked him up as a cull from another hunter after he'd been struck by a vehicle.

To be honest, both boys fell into our laps. We weren't looking for a dog in either case.

Would you adopt again?

I didn't think I would adopt in the first place. So the rational answer is "no"...in that I won't seek out a rescue dog. But the reality is that animals seem to just show up at the right place and time, and I'm not so good at turning them away.

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 07-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Top Dog

Where did you get your dog? The shelter I worked at.
How did you decide on that individual? Well, I wasn't looking for another dog, but Dixie caught my eye when she came in to the shelter at 9 weeks when I was working that day and she has an awesome personality so my parents and I decided to adopt her.
Would you adopt again? Yes.

Dixie Loo - 2009 Schnauzer Mix
Rudy Roo - 2008 Airedale Terrier Mix
Buster - Forever loved and missed. 1-10-04 - 12-1-14
Old 07-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Sport Model Pug

Where did you get your dog? Private rehome out of the paper classifieds
How did you decide on that individual? She was batsh!t crazy and literally scaled the front of me to lick my face at 12 weeks old.
Would you adopt again? If the right dog came along.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug