Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default Limited ingredients suggestion?

I haven't switched Cricket's food yet since I've been trying to find out what to switch her to. I need something that I could potentially feed Bamm as well eventually though I won't switch him until I know Cricket is doing well on a new food.

My vet said to try a new protein that she hasn't had before. She has had fish and all types of poultry. I'm trying to decide on either lamb, bison, beef or kangaroo (I know California Naturals carries kangaroo but don't know about anywhere else).

I need to try to spend a little less on food than I have been spending, but I don't want to compromise too much on quality. Currently I feed Fromm and as much as I love their quality, it's expensive. I'd prefer to spend around 40-45 (retail price) for a 30lb bag at most, but if I have to spend more to get a decent quality food than I will have to continue to do so.

Does Blue Buffalo have a limited ingredients lamb recipe? I don't recall seeing any lamb at my work, but if we don't and they do my boss can order some if I ask her to. I do get certain food cheaper through my work, but I don't want to make my decision too much based off that since I may have to find a new job when my lease is up depending on how far a drive it ends up being.

As for California Naturals... Has anyone had any experience with their limited ingredients diets?

What would you guys recommend as a good diet for a dog dealing with allergies? Again I'm trying to avoid fish and poultry.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 07-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Top Dog

I really, really like PureVita, Canine Caviar, and Instinct LID for limited ingredient diets. The PureVita has three grain-free formulas (bison, turkey, salmon), the Instinct has two grain-free formulas (turkey, lamb), and the Canine Caviar has two grain-inclusive formulas (lamb, chicken) and three grain-free formulas (venison, herring, duck).

I know pricing can vary a lot by region, so I would check those out and see how much they'll cost. Do you get a discount or anything at your work?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:05 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I fed California Naturals Lamb and Rice to Chloe. I was happy with it and could afford it, although she wasn't too fond of it taste wise. It never cleared up Chloe's digestive issues, though, but what I thought was chicken intolerance turned out to be grain intolerance...and it has rice in it. But her coat and everything stayed great while she was on it.

TOTW has a grain free lamb formula.

Also, something to keep in mind with lamb - it seems to me that most of the food with lamb are low protein/fat/cal. So if you need something that is high protein/fat/cal, I'd look at another protein source.

Blue Buffalo offers a limited ingredient diet, but it is turkey/potato...so if you've already tried turkey, that's going to be a no go.

ETA: I'd also look in to Natural Balance's limited ingredient diets. They have bison, duck, fish, and lamb. I've heard good things about them. A little starch heavy compared to TOTW, but may be worth a try.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
I need to try to spend a little less on food than I have been spending, but I don't want to compromise too much on quality. Currently I feed Fromm and as much as I love their quality, it's expensive. I'd prefer to spend around 40-45 (retail price) for a 30lb bag at most, but if I have to spend more to get a decent quality food than I will have to continue to do so.
I wouldn't be looking at Cal Nat then, at least their GF ones. A #30 bag of Kangaroo goes for roughly $70 here :/ Grain Free Lamb is around $60 I believe. Their grain-inclusive bags runs about the same as Fromm.

Pure Vita GF bags run $52 and up for a 25 pound bag, they do make a Bison that is LID though!

Quote:
Does Blue Buffalo have a limited ingredients lamb recipe?
Nope, just Salmon and Turkey.

Quote:
As for California Naturals... Has anyone had any experience with their limited ingredients diets?
I don't think that Cal Nat makes a non-LID food, their motto is "Pure and Simple." We have a lot of people who feed it at the location I work at now. But I don't know that you will save anything switching from the Fromm to Cal Nat.

Quote:
What would you guys recommend as a good diet for a dog dealing with allergies? Again I'm trying to avoid fish and poultry.
Pretty much just going to echo Justa on this one with Canine Caviar (the best IMO), Pure Vita, and Instinct LID.

Have you thought about switching Cricket to raw at all? Honestly it would probably be much cheaper than going for the high end LID kibble. I can't imagine there aren't co-op groups in NOVA, and even if you couldn't find lamb, raw beef and pork are generally pretty darn cheap in bulk.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
...ETA: I'd also look in to Natural Balance's limited ingredient diets. They have bison, duck, fish, and lamb. I've heard good things about them. A little starch heavy compared to TOTW, but may be worth a try.
I was feeding Natural Balance's LID line to Caleb for years. Their food is manufactured by Diamond. I switched to Earthborn Holistics after reports of the second Diamond plant having the same issues as the one in North Carolina.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:08 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
I was feeding Natural Balance's LID line to Caleb for years. Their food is manufactured by Diamond. I switched to Earthborn Holistics after reports of the second Diamond plant having the same issues as the one in North Carolina.
NatBal was using Diamond plants to manufacture some of their foods, but since the recall they have, to my knowledge, started exclusively using their own plants.

I like the Natures Variety Instinct LID foods but those are definitely expensive.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 PM
*Now with Snark*

Costco in your area? How about the Nature's domain turkey and potato?
Old 07-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
NatBal was using Diamond plants to manufacture some of their foods, but since the recall they have, to my knowledge, started exclusively using their own plants...
Wonder why they never mentioned it on FB? It's been asked over and over if they were going to start using their own plants. Then again, thier customer service leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
Costco in your area? How about the Nature's domain turkey and potato?
Turkey = poultry

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 07-07-2012, 05:18 PM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Turkey = poultry
True... but so is domestic pheasant but I know my dogs have never eaten it - nor goose... nor guinea hens. I was just trying to think of something that's actually cheaper than $50 a bag and a single protein source sans grain.