Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Dafuq?

I dont mind fireworks, and my dogs tolerate them well. My favorites as a kid were Roman candles and the ones that popped out little parachute guys. My issue is the leaving of trash all over like it's to be expected. Shoot a firework in the air, some kind of trash is going to be landing on the roof, neighbor's roof, etc. And kicking over the burnt shell of ground-based fireworks to light the next one doesn't constitute "cleaning up." This year, IMO, everyone who shot off fireworks was putting us all at risk because of the extreme dry, hot weather. Our neighbors conscientiously watered Their lawn, so then only ours was in danger. Lol!

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 07-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
I love them. I love the seizure-inducing lights and the noise and even the little firecrackers that are fun to throw at people's feet to scare the hell out of them. I like the big expensive shows and I like the smaller scale ones you can do at home.
Yes this, I do love fireworks. (not a big fan of balloons under pressure though lol)
Old 07-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm All Ears

Oh I hate balloons too. Especially balloons in the hands of a small kid.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

I love the colors. I'm simple lol! I just love the noise and rumbles to. Last night it was thunder and fireworks.

My dogs and horses are used to us shooting right next to them so they don't bat an eye. Never had one it bothered or I may think otherwise but as much as we shoot I dont know how they'd survive.

We have neighbors that set them off for a week before and after. We just sit and watch in between feedings.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 07-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Top Dog

I like balloons too. Anyone else like water balloons? lol
Old 07-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Top Dog

I love going to watch the professional shows! Really missed it this year - where my daughter used to live we could sit in her backyard and have excellent seats to see the whole show.

On the other hand thoe put off by in neighorhoods that aren't really controlled make me very nervous.

One of the guys I work with told me today about his scary time he had yesterday evening. He was sitting in his kitchen at the table when all of a sudden he was hit in his shoulder. Neighbor's kids were setting off fireworks and one of them knocked out his window screen and entered his house and hit him! They had to pour quite a bit of water on it after it landed on the floor to put it out and he sure has quite a bruise on his shoulder. Had it been a little higher it would have gotten him right in th face!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Obey the Toad.

My mare was never really scared of them. The first year or two we owned her she would get a little startled, but between semi tires blowing out on the highway, the park ranger shooting range not too far away, and my dad lighting off fireworks she was handling it like a boss by year three.

Jack isn't rattled by the fireworks at all. Sally was a little bothered by the sheer volume of stuff the neighbors were lighting off on Tuesday night and retreated into the dining room where it was quieter and she couldn't see the flashes, but I thought it was a very appropriate way for her to handle her discomfort.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Mia, my Arabian horses were so freaked out by them that I had to tranquilize them...had to get a vet to prescribe something. I was afraid they'd hurt themselves otherwise. They'd get all frothed up, tearing around like mad, absolutely wildly afraid. I was afraid they'd run through a fence and locking them up in stalls was even worse. They'd rear and they might hurt themselves that way. It was a nightmare for them. The horse I had as a kid though, wasn't fazed by them. He was born on the 4th of July and his name was Skyrocket. LOL.
Maybe it's an Arabian thing--lol. My best friend in school had an Arab gelding that would be beside himself if anyone lit off fireworks near him. They were afraid he'd go through the fence he was so upset one year so we brought him to my house to hang out with my mare. He was still nervous but she was his BFF, so I think seeing her chill about the whole thing helped.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:10 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Water balloons I like. They don't make the big BANG when they pop

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Taxiderpy

I love explosions and stuff. If it was a bigger field I would have totally gone to school to be a pyrotechnician and build explosives. Chemistry? Blowing stuff up?

My dogs don't care about the big ones. Strider tries to attack the small ones you can buy on the street corner because he thinks they're really loud glittery animals that would be fun to hunt. They've both been to big professional shows though, and loved all the people and attention. Neither showed any signs of stress the whole time (no panting, lip licking, etc.).