Breeds you use to want

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Great Dane - still love them, but not sure I want one (my list of wants is growing too quickly)

GSD - not sure I can deal with the shedding. I never used to care but nowadays I just like super smooth coats or longer coats that dont shed. However, a GSD is still a possibility. I heart them too much. :)

Aussie - I still think they are gorgeous but I think I prefer bc personalities. I want more of an aloofness with strangers. But never say never! If one fell into my lap I would take it.

Husky - huskies will always have a place in my heart, I love them to death, and MAY own more in the future, but honestly, for my next SEVERAL dogs, I want something more biddable.

ETA: Dalmatian. I was OBSESSED. My whole room was Dalmatians when I was a kid. The cartoon 101 Dalmatians kind and the real kind. I still think I'd adopt one in a shelter/rescue situation though. Just wouldn't seek one out.

Kilter

We have the one golden, her mom is a show dog with titles and her dad is a field dog with a CH. She's well put together but finer boned and not a ton of hair. My hubby keeps reminding me she's not a 'real' golden and we need a big moosey boy golden with a ton of hair.

He also does not do the cleaning. But I do agree we need a golden boy at some point. When the right boy comes along, my friend is the breeder of the one we had and the one we have now..... though I'd take her boy anytime but I think she'd notice!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Oh yah, I went through a boxer phase... Then I lived with one :p if the right one came to me through rescue I wouldn't say no, but I'm not sure I would actively seek one out.

I went through a cane corso phase too.... Then I got one :rofl1: I love the one we have now (at the farm), but no thank you. No more. LOL though I may be traumatized cause we had one euthed at 6 months old

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
I, too, caught the 101 Dalmatians bug when I was a kid :p

I also have always wanted an English Cocker named Lady (I'm so original hahaha).

Then there was a period of time when I was wanting a Malamute.

Every other breed I've wanted has just been more of a, "Yeah, I could be OK owning that" and nothing serious or long-lasting.

I'm sure that in the future I will end up owning a Husky and/or a Buhund, and maybe even a GSD or BC (mostly for competition/dog sport purposes). But the Finkies shall remain my main breed and probably the only one I show actively in conformation.

RD

Are you dead yet?
A lot of my "used to want" breeds are still "want" breeds.

On my list of no, but used to want -

Dobes - Heartbreakers.
Filas - too much drool, too much potential disaster where I'm living now
Aussies - bark. bark. bark. bark.
Whippets - still want, but currently no because we live in squirrel central and I want a dog with some semblance of a recall
Most LGDs - ideal, but the HAIR...
Shelties - see Aussies.
Catahoulas - see Aussies, add baying.

ETA: Also always wanted a little bully breed, but the DA always kept me away. Maybe a bulldog someday.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Hmm. I couldn't think of any at first, but now I remember a few.

Old English Sheepdog. Used to want one SO BAD. Was seriously looking at one before I got Bella (while looking for a BC puppy. It was BC or OES. Then Bella came along.)

Sheltie. I used to really want a Sheltie. I wanted one when I ended up with Zoey. I desperately wanted a Sheltie, not a Mini Aussie. (and would still pick a Sheltie over a Mini Aussie!) Now I look at them and I'm like "meh. look at all that coat and they're so small!" If I ever had one it'd be a rescue, oversized, with little coat, haha and even then it'd be based on dog not breed.

But besides that I can't think of any. I wanted a GSD for a LONG time. Then decided on a BC and dropped the GSD. Then ended up with Bella, kinda by mistake, then wanted another BC, then got my BCs and wanted a GSD again. Now I have both and I want a Mal, lol. I just don't think I'll ever be a "own several of one breed" kinda girl. I only have so long to try all the crazy breeds I wanna own!

Oooph! I also really wanted a Pit Bull for a long time. And would still own one. But it'd be a 4-10 month old female from rescue, not from a breeder. And I'm not about to go out and look for one, but if one happened upon my path that'd be cool too.

Toller_08

I obsessed over GSDs as a kid. For years and years I wanted one. Now, not so much. I do like a nice GSD still, but I've met far too many that I haven't liked that have really turned me off of the breed.

I used to think I'd always have a Rottweiler too, but now after not having one for several years now, I can't really see myself with another. I still love the breed and always will, but visiting with a friend's is good enough for me now. I love her girl but am glad I don't have to live with her, haha.

And I go through a Sibe phase regularly. Not sure if that'll ever happen or not. I like them a lot, but they have one con that I think is too much of a con for me. So I likely won't actually ever have one.

I think there was a time that I wanted a Greyhound too after meeting some at an adoptathon type thing. I definitely don't want one now. Hounds just are not me at all.

Oh, and my family almost got a Boxer. Thank goodness Winston showed up when he did! A Boxer was likely going to be our next family dog. That would have been a terrible choice.

I don't think there are any others I ever seriously wanted that I wouldn't consider now. I was obsessed with Dalmatians (and not because of the movies) and Aussies for a long time too and still like both breeds a lot. And Tollers of course, which I won't be without.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Aussies - bark. bark. bark. bark.
Shelties - see Aussies.
Hahaha! I've been laughing at the Aussie people that have been swearing to me up and down that shelties are so much louder. One of the trials I went to recently all the Aussies barked the entire time. I swear I did not hear a peep froma sheltie though. You can definitely tell when the Aussies are running.

Assamiea

From the ages of 4-13 I would have killed for a Golden Retriever. Swore up and down that one day I would own one. My dad agreed to get me a dog for my 5th birthday and I fully expected a Golden puppy, he came home with a Cairn Terrier. I was not impressed, great dog but not the Golden I pined for. Now, Golden's aren't totally off my list, but they're not at the very top either.

After our Cairn passed I went into a serious obsession with the Norwegian Buhund and pitched the idea to my dad (with flow charts, graphs, the whole nine yards). We ended up getting a Yorkie, which in hindsight was a better choice. I still like the Buhund but now they're not a breed I would think of owning now.

I also was seriously looking at APBT's and Staff's around 2003/2004 ish but the stupid BSL came into effect in 2005, so that's nixed that idea unless I move to another province.

I've also gone through a mastiff phase where I wanted either a Boerboel or Cane Corso, but that too has passed.

Catsi

This is a very interesting thread. There have been a few breeds that I have liked and wanted and then later decided against.

Schipperke - love them, but I think they may be just too sharp for me, coupled with DA tendencies.

Tibetan Terriers - gorgeous dogs, love their history but just too much hair for me to adequately deal with. I'd want to keep one in full coat, not clipped... I just cannot imagine me having the skills to do it. I'm more of a brush once a day kinda girl, you know quickly and just to check them over more than anything else.

Greyhounds - honestly I think they are gorgeous and I have loved every one that I have met. But I just need a dog a bit more active that will take what I throw at them (jogging, walking, exploring etc) I'm not the most active person in the world, but I'm no couch potato either.

Brittanys - I love them, but they are possibly too active for me and the 'what could go wrong' or 'worst case scenario' - DR and needing LOTS of activity is a bad mix if I get the wrong dog.

I want a dog that lacks DA tendencies in general, that is active and lively and would enjoy participating in obedience, agility and whatever other training I can throw at them. But at the same time, I need a dog that will not be adversely affected if I'm sick and bed and can barely throw a ball as I don't have very 'doggy' family. They love cuddling the dogs, but are not so hot about exercising them lol.

I am considering a pap, or one of the poodles... not sure what size. All three appeal for different reasons. And I forgot to add that I'd consider a whippet!

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Wolf hybrid--then my friend's family got one and that was the end of that

Rottweiler--still like the breed, just can't see myself owning one in the foreseeable future

Dalmatian--count me in as a huge 101 Dalmatians fan, but the more I learned about the breed the less I wanted one

Dobermans--I was obsessed with Roscoe and Desoto from Oliver & Company. I still love dobes but I don't know that I would seek one out (although my friend's dobes are doing their best to change that opinion-lol)

Australian Cattle dog--I was sure I would have a blue heeler named Creole. They are cool dogs but too much dog for me

Border Collies--I still really like the breed, but they just wouldn't be a good fit

Miniature Dachshunds--several people in my family have had them over the years and I had one when I was little that ended up getting hit by a car :( His name was Hans and he was the most kicka$$ little dog ever, and I don't know that I'll ever find another doxie as awesome as Hans :(

Malinois--after meeting a super friendly one I kind of got the impression the they were a smaller, more labradorish version of a GSD. :D Not so much, as it turns out...

Aleron

I've had lots of wants over the years. Like Emily, I kinda wanted all dogs as a kid. I especially wanted a GSD though and I did get one (well...three LOL). Still love the breed but the SSA makes them less than ideal for me at this point. Also wanted a Saluki for a long time. I still want a sighthound someday but probably a Whippet. I have looked into just about every oddball herding breed you can think of. I do like oddball herding breeds. Most of them would be suitable for me but I can only have so many dogs and most are going to be Belgians soooo....

I had a bad BC want for years and years and years. I was pretty sure I'd eventually have a BC. Now while I still like them, I'm not sure I would choose one over a Belgian or a PyrShep. I think maybe they just aren't wild enough for me these days LOL See I had a Dobe mix who was weird but fairly moderate dog. Then I got a higher-drive-than-you'd expect-Collie. From there it was a very high drive GSD, who made the collie seem pretty easy. Then the first Belgian was the "weird" to the GSD's normal. Now the PyrShep is the weird to the Belgian's normal LOL And I'm not sure where Ziggy fits in but he's quite intense. And loud. He fits in between the Belgians and PyrShep without a doubt.

I guess I just love wild, crazy, quirky dogs :)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I was reminded today that I would like to add Pugs to this list. The shedding.... oh dear God, the shedding. One of the doctors where I work has 2, she brought them in today for baths. I swept the kennel room and then went to grab the mop. During this time, the doctor went in there to grab her dogs so she could go home. I return with the mop, and OH MY GOD HAIR EVERYWHERE. All she did was take her dogs out of the kennel. And I had to sweep again because there were layers of hairs... not just a stray one or two.

And then I had to clean out their kennel which was extra hairy as well. And their water dish had a dog growing in it too. I don't understand how it's possible!!! But I used to think pugs were so awesome.

k9krazee

When I was little (pre-dog) I would dream about beagles and desperately wanted a beagle & I had never even met one in real life before (must've been Shiloh).

Ironically, when I thought I was adopting a lab puppy he turned out to be pretty beagle-y and has all the traits of a beagle that I decided I didn't want in a dog.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
My therapist told my parents once when I was younger that the reason many children around that time wanted golden retrievers was because in lots of tvs/movies at the time golden retrievers were owned by happy stable families.

Not sure if it's true lol doubt my decision was that deep at age like 9.. but still, interesting.

crazedACD

My therapist told my parents once when I was younger that the reason many children around that time wanted golden retrievers was because in lots of tvs/movies at the time golden retrievers were owned by happy stable families.

Not sure if it's true lol doubt my decision was that deep at age like 9.. but still, interesting.
Yeah, they are like the iconic suburban white picket fence dog.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I grew up with a Dalmatian pre-101 Dalmatians (the live action movie). It seemed like EVERYONE wanted a Dal once that movie came out, and people assumed that's why we had one!

Same with Beverly Hills Chihuahuas- we had Chloe before the movie came out, and a ton of people asked if we named her after Chloe from the movie (who was also a white chihuahua!).

When I was about 8 years old, I desperately wanted a Sibe. There was a blind guy in our neighborhood who would walk his Sibe every night while we walked our Dalmatian, and I was in love with that dog! He was so smart and worked so well with his owner.

As a little kid, I wanted a Cocker Spaniel. I loved the ear fringe! Lady and the Tramp was my favorite movie, so the reason for wanting one was obvious :p

Before getting our Dalmatian, I wanted a Yorkie... I wanted a little foo foo dog I could put bows in its hair :p

I can't think of any others at the moment. Every breed "want" within the past 5 or so years are breeds I'd still consider!

Members online

No members online now.