Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-05-2012, 12:12 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Great Dane - still love them, but not sure I want one (my list of wants is growing too quickly)

GSD - not sure I can deal with the shedding. I never used to care but nowadays I just like super smooth coats or longer coats that dont shed. However, a GSD is still a possibility. I heart them too much.

Aussie - I still think they are gorgeous but I think I prefer bc personalities. I want more of an aloofness with strangers. But never say never! If one fell into my lap I would take it.

Husky - huskies will always have a place in my heart, I love them to death, and MAY own more in the future, but honestly, for my next SEVERAL dogs, I want something more biddable.

ETA: Dalmatian. I was OBSESSED. My whole room was Dalmatians when I was a kid. The cartoon 101 Dalmatians kind and the real kind. I still think I'd adopt one in a shelter/rescue situation though. Just wouldn't seek one out.

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 07-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Top Dog

We have the one golden, her mom is a show dog with titles and her dad is a field dog with a CH. She's well put together but finer boned and not a ton of hair. My hubby keeps reminding me she's not a 'real' golden and we need a big moosey boy golden with a ton of hair.

He also does not do the cleaning. But I do agree we need a golden boy at some point. When the right boy comes along, my friend is the breeder of the one we had and the one we have now..... though I'd take her boy anytime but I think she'd notice!
Old 07-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Oh yah, I went through a boxer phase... Then I lived with one if the right one came to me through rescue I wouldn't say no, but I'm not sure I would actively seek one out.

I went through a cane corso phase too.... Then I got one I love the one we have now (at the farm), but no thank you. No more. LOL though I may be traumatized cause we had one euthed at 6 months old

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I, too, caught the 101 Dalmatians bug when I was a kid

I also have always wanted an English Cocker named Lady (I'm so original hahaha).

Then there was a period of time when I was wanting a Malamute.

Every other breed I've wanted has just been more of a, "Yeah, I could be OK owning that" and nothing serious or long-lasting.

I'm sure that in the future I will end up owning a Husky and/or a Buhund, and maybe even a GSD or BC (mostly for competition/dog sport purposes). But the Finkies shall remain my main breed and probably the only one I show actively in conformation.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 22 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 5 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 07-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Are you dead yet?

A lot of my "used to want" breeds are still "want" breeds.

On my list of no, but used to want -

Dobes - Heartbreakers.
Filas - too much drool, too much potential disaster where I'm living now
Aussies - bark. bark. bark. bark.
Whippets - still want, but currently no because we live in squirrel central and I want a dog with some semblance of a recall
Most LGDs - ideal, but the HAIR...
Shelties - see Aussies.
Catahoulas - see Aussies, add baying.

ETA: Also always wanted a little bully breed, but the DA always kept me away. Maybe a bulldog someday.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Agility freak!

Hmm. I couldn't think of any at first, but now I remember a few.

Old English Sheepdog. Used to want one SO BAD. Was seriously looking at one before I got Bella (while looking for a BC puppy. It was BC or OES. Then Bella came along.)

Sheltie. I used to really want a Sheltie. I wanted one when I ended up with Zoey. I desperately wanted a Sheltie, not a Mini Aussie. (and would still pick a Sheltie over a Mini Aussie!) Now I look at them and I'm like "meh. look at all that coat and they're so small!" If I ever had one it'd be a rescue, oversized, with little coat, haha and even then it'd be based on dog not breed.

But besides that I can't think of any. I wanted a GSD for a LONG time. Then decided on a BC and dropped the GSD. Then ended up with Bella, kinda by mistake, then wanted another BC, then got my BCs and wanted a GSD again. Now I have both and I want a Mal, lol. I just don't think I'll ever be a "own several of one breed" kinda girl. I only have so long to try all the crazy breeds I wanna own!

Oooph! I also really wanted a Pit Bull for a long time. And would still own one. But it'd be a 4-10 month old female from rescue, not from a breeder. And I'm not about to go out and look for one, but if one happened upon my path that'd be cool too.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 07-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Top Dog

I obsessed over GSDs as a kid. For years and years I wanted one. Now, not so much. I do like a nice GSD still, but I've met far too many that I haven't liked that have really turned me off of the breed.

I used to think I'd always have a Rottweiler too, but now after not having one for several years now, I can't really see myself with another. I still love the breed and always will, but visiting with a friend's is good enough for me now. I love her girl but am glad I don't have to live with her, haha.

And I go through a Sibe phase regularly. Not sure if that'll ever happen or not. I like them a lot, but they have one con that I think is too much of a con for me. So I likely won't actually ever have one.

I think there was a time that I wanted a Greyhound too after meeting some at an adoptathon type thing. I definitely don't want one now. Hounds just are not me at all.

Oh, and my family almost got a Boxer. Thank goodness Winston showed up when he did! A Boxer was likely going to be our next family dog. That would have been a terrible choice.

I don't think there are any others I ever seriously wanted that I wouldn't consider now. I was obsessed with Dalmatians (and not because of the movies) and Aussies for a long time too and still like both breeds a lot. And Tollers of course, which I won't be without.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 07-05-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
Aussies - bark. bark. bark. bark.
Shelties - see Aussies.
Hahaha! I've been laughing at the Aussie people that have been swearing to me up and down that shelties are so much louder. One of the trials I went to recently all the Aussies barked the entire time. I swear I did not hear a peep froma sheltie though. You can definitely tell when the Aussies are running.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Big Dog

From the ages of 4-13 I would have killed for a Golden Retriever. Swore up and down that one day I would own one. My dad agreed to get me a dog for my 5th birthday and I fully expected a Golden puppy, he came home with a Cairn Terrier. I was not impressed, great dog but not the Golden I pined for. Now, Golden's aren't totally off my list, but they're not at the very top either.

After our Cairn passed I went into a serious obsession with the Norwegian Buhund and pitched the idea to my dad (with flow charts, graphs, the whole nine yards). We ended up getting a Yorkie, which in hindsight was a better choice. I still like the Buhund but now they're not a breed I would think of owning now.

I also was seriously looking at APBT's and Staff's around 2003/2004 ish but the stupid BSL came into effect in 2005, so that's nixed that idea unless I move to another province.

I've also gone through a mastiff phase where I wanted either a Boerboel or Cane Corso, but that too has passed.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

This is a very interesting thread. There have been a few breeds that I have liked and wanted and then later decided against.

Schipperke - love them, but I think they may be just too sharp for me, coupled with DA tendencies.

Tibetan Terriers - gorgeous dogs, love their history but just too much hair for me to adequately deal with. I'd want to keep one in full coat, not clipped... I just cannot imagine me having the skills to do it. I'm more of a brush once a day kinda girl, you know quickly and just to check them over more than anything else.

Greyhounds - honestly I think they are gorgeous and I have loved every one that I have met. But I just need a dog a bit more active that will take what I throw at them (jogging, walking, exploring etc) I'm not the most active person in the world, but I'm no couch potato either.

Brittanys - I love them, but they are possibly too active for me and the 'what could go wrong' or 'worst case scenario' - DR and needing LOTS of activity is a bad mix if I get the wrong dog.

I want a dog that lacks DA tendencies in general, that is active and lively and would enjoy participating in obedience, agility and whatever other training I can throw at them. But at the same time, I need a dog that will not be adversely affected if I'm sick and bed and can barely throw a ball as I don't have very 'doggy' family. They love cuddling the dogs, but are not so hot about exercising them lol.

I am considering a pap, or one of the poodles... not sure what size. All three appeal for different reasons. And I forgot to add that I'd consider a whippet!