Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-04-2012, 10:05 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Breeds I wanted at some point then learned more about then/met some and realized they would be a horrible fit:
- Bernese Mountain Dog
- Saluki
- Irish Setter (count me as another Kjelgaard reader when I was young)
- Huskies
- Canaan Dog. I was actually a couple weeks away from picking up my Canaan puppy (some here may remember) when I elected to give Webby a shot and forfeited my deposit because bringing in a puppy before resolving Webby's issues would have been dumb. I'm glad I did. At least from the Canaans I've met, their hype and the sort of romanticism that is put around the breed just serves as a front to some really strange dogs. Not in just in a primitive sort of way, but real mental messes. I'm sure there are nice ones out there I just haven't been impressed with the individuals I've since met.

Other breeds I used to want and don't really think I'll ever own though they would probably more or less fit my lifestyle:

- Labs. Had a great one growing up but I just don't care for any of the directions their main breeding lines are going in general. Or their coats. I like a lot of individuals but can't see myself owning one -- I prefer FCRs and Goldens.

- Malinois. I like just about everything about what I understand a good Malinois should but reality seems so hit-or-miss. I mean I've known about 10 in person well enough to get a good feel for them and they are all over the board. From little drive to little biddability to mental wrecks to extremely reactive to really upright builds or huge dogs. Maybe one has been what I picture my ideal Malinois to be, both physically and mentally. Also their tendency to bite first think later annoys me lol.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 07-04-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I honestly don't know if there were any... LOL

Really, I just want to say that the missing d in the thread title is driving me CRAZY

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I honestly don't know if there were any... LOL

Really, I just want to say that the missing d in the thread title is driving me CRAZY
Oh shoot. My bad!>.<

Old 07-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

Oooh and I thought I wanted a newfie too...totally not what I would want now. There was one that boarded that had SERIOUS odor, I believe from drooling on his chest, and nothing helped that dog. And I'm talking you walked into the kennel wing he was in, 26 kennels, and all you could smell was him.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Animal Lover

German Shepherd. Now don't get me wrong I do love them a lot but they just aren't the breed for me.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Dafuq?

I used to want a GSD, Akita, Beauceron. I just decided it was important for me to have people-friendly dogs.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Top Dog

I used to want a Weim so badly. Then I wanted a Chessie for a while, but went back to Weims. For a brief time, I was really into labs, but working in a dog kennel full of under-worked adolescent labs for a summer was enough to make me lose interest.

I also went/am still going through a terrier phase...
Old 07-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Duuuuude.

From ages 5 through ~14 my dream dog was a golden retriever. I think it started from watching the Homeward Bound movies. I had golden books, golden stuffed animals, golden calendars and posters and anything else you could name. I would even look through the classifieds in the newspaper as a kid and circle all the golden retriever litters.

I don't know why or even when exactly my crazy want for one died down. I think around 14 I got really into learning about dog breeds, joined some forums, etc and it opened my eyes to how many more amazing breeds were out there. When I was able to get another dog at 16, I went for my Brittany, or as I like to call him, my "off brand" sporting breed. I still love a good golden, and would consider owning one someday, but I've also met so many mediocre mill/BYB/whatever goldens in the mean time that they're not really a dog I'm interested in pursuing anymore.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Shai is getting a mal, Im making it a mission.

/returns to drinking.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm All Ears

See I am the opposite. Up until VERY recently I would have said I would absolutely never own a golden but I could definitely see myself with the right golden these days. I've seen some really awesome ones lately that I would love owning.