Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Not a Border Collie

Before I got Quinn I was so sure I was going to get a GSD. I had been in contact with the breeder for probably 4 or 5 years beforehand and was absolutely set on getting one of her dogs this time around. I had already inquired about a female puppy she had, even. Then I started reading up on English Shepherds and they reminded me so much of my childhood Aussies. My mom really liked the sound of them, too. The only breeder in the province had a litter planned and we ended up putting our name down as we didn't want to lose the spot. I was still unconvinced at this time - there was so much variety in the breed and I was seeing dogs I wasn't particularly fond of on the internet and youtube that were making me second guess my decision. Two things happened in particular - I found a breeder with amazing dogs, one bitch in particular who was my absolute dream dog that made me go "THAT'S the kind of dog I want". I was also able to meet Quinn's aunt, who, while it wasn't a big lightbulb moment like the previous, I really liked and it was nice talking to her owner about her. We were given the news that someone had backed out and there was an open spot for Quinn's litter and we were next in line so we put a deposit down on a puppy, which was still a bit of a leap of faith, and not long after we met Quinn's breeders, Quinn's mom and granddam, and the litter for the first time at 6 weeks old.

I'm not really sure what the point is I'm trying to get across - maybe just that I went through a similar thing! I was familiar with and set on a GSD for years prior - English Shepherds were that new breed that sounded great but I'd never met or heard of before. I took a leap of faith by going with Quinn vs. that GSD puppy. I wouldn't change anything even if I could and now I know that at this point in my life, I'm more suited for ESs than GSDs. However, if I had gone the opposite way I'm sure I would still be thrilled with and loving my dog. I still love GSDs and would love to own another. Either way, you will love the dog you end up with!

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 07-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
If y'all ever figure out a way around that let me know. I really do love the sound of them and have often thought how neat it would be to bring over a solid colored one to kind of 'help out' with the breeding purposes (lol) but.... almost all shows are AKC around here and that cancels out the keeping them intact thing. My trainer runs her Welsh sheepdog in the mixed breed category but I just can't see importing a dog and then having to neuter it to run it in agility. I really hate that AKC policy.

If any koolies end up around here in TX/OK/KS area let me know. I still would like to meet some.
I am planning on eventually spaying her maybe after a litter or two (if I even breed her), so we will run AKC then. So that's my way around it
Old 07-05-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I am planning on eventually spaying her maybe after a litter or two (if I even breed her), so we will run AKC then. So that's my way around it
That's not a bad plan really, though it would be harder with a male. Now someone just needs to let me come meet their dogs.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I guess it depends on how much you want to breed. Altering around 2 and starting to trial after that seems fine to me really. Usdaa is a good option though!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Lab Love

Maybe I'm boring, but..

I think if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I found a breed that I think I really get along with and I don't think I'll probably stray for awhile. Unless I rescue, in which I won't be picky on breed. My problem is that if I get a different breed, will I enjoy it as much as I enjoy labs? However sometimes variety is good.

My only breed I know for sure I'll get is a Tibetan Mastiff when I own a home.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 07-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Top Dog

I guess part of the choice would be...how serious are you about Tollers? Are you interested in them from a pet/casual performance perspective only or do you see yourself getting really involved with the breed (showing in multiple venues, going to nationals, possibly breeding, etc). Belgians are my breed for sure. Almost always when I have been able to have another dog, regardless of what I have thought of getting (or keeping) a quality Belgian was more important to me than how much I wanted something else. Actually in almost 15 years, I have opted only to get Belgians...until I decided that I absolutely had to have a PyrShep. For me getting a non-Belgian had to be different enough from a Belgian that another Belgian wouldn't fit just as well, a dog I for sure without a doubt had to have even after 3 years of waiting/researching and timed so I could still keep a puppy from a future Belgian litter. I'm definitely seriously involved with Belgians but I'm very happy I decided to venture out of my "comfort zone" and get a breed not as familiar to me. OTOH there's something really nice about having multiples of the same breed and being so very familiar with a breed that they are totally normal and natural for you to have.

So that probably wasn't too helpful. I tend to think indecision like this will work itself out. In the end, you'll know what you really want. If you have doubts about getting a puppy of any breed, you can always wait for future litters until you're totally sure.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

I can't decide at all. I think that's the biggest reason I'm so apprehensive to get a second dog. I like so many breeds from afar, but can only see myself owning a few specific ones, but I still haven't quite narrowed it down and I'm kinda sorta all over the place...

I'm really comfortable with Jackson and he's really the perfect dog for me. There's only a few small things I'd change about him if I could. So that's why I keep leaning back towards Silky's (even if he's a big Yorkie, he looks and acts like a Silky) and I've already kind of gotten myself involved in the Silky world, and spoken to many breeders, and have found some I really like. But I feel like I'd get something similar and what I'm comfortable with.

On the other hand, I want to branch out and try something different and get out of my comfort zone before getting stuck on a breed so early on (I'm only 21, so hopefully will have many years to try other breeds). And then if I decide for sure that Silky's are the one for me... I guess I'll know.

I don't know! Basically.

Brit & Jackson

Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I hate decisions, and would still rescue given the chance, but my other half still won't shift on that....

My search keeps coming back to the same breed though.... They just sound exactly what I want. I've never lived with one either, so it'll be a learning curve
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Lab Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhucca View Post
Maybe I'm boring, but..

I think if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I found a breed that I think I really get along with and I don't think I'll probably stray for awhile. Unless I rescue, in which I won't be picky on breed. My problem is that if I get a different breed, will I enjoy it as much as I enjoy labs? However sometimes variety is good.

My only breed I know for sure I'll get is a Tibetan Mastiff when I own a home.
my only other** breed. yeesh.

p.s why does edit have a time out?

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Duuuuude.

I wish I had an answer to this, too. I've been switching between breeds for the past three-ish years. Just recently I was sure I knew what my next dog would be, until I realized an old dealbreaker wasn't a dealbreaker any more, which put an old favorite back on the table...

It's not going to end until I actually get another dog, I think. Until I'm actually ready to get another dog (~1 year from now), I'm going to keep flipflopping. It's tremendously frustrating!

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff