Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-04-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm All Ears

One of the big reasons koolies are out is that you'd have to neuter to get an AKC PAL/ILP. Doing AKC is important to me as I live in the middle of nowhere and AKC is the primary venue. I'd be really disappointed if I couldn't compete in AKC.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Top Dog

For me, the next dog will be a Springer or Cocker. I really cannot decide between the two, so I will just keep an eye on the rescue centres and free-ads, and see which one comes up first

My Photos
Old 07-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Resident fainting goat

I just go with breeders and specific litters/dogs. I had a few breeds that I loved in general but at the end of the day there was a litter planned from two dogs who I LOVED from a breeder I loved and so.. the choice was made! lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I just go with breeders and specific litters/dogs. I had a few breeds that I loved in general but at the end of the day there was a litter planned from two dogs who I LOVED from a breeder I loved and so.. the choice was made! lol
Speaking of which, when is that baby being borned?!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Speaking of which, when is that baby being borned?!
Puppy fever is burning like 10000 suns LOL
The dam of said litter has decided that coming into heat when she is supposed to is totally over-rated. So.. we wait. IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!!

haha speaking of... the thing about the "choose the breeder/litter" policy.. is that the wait feels like it AGES you it takes so long. There are so many things between "Oh they are planning a litter between x and y" that can go wrong it's enough to drive a person mad.

The great thing about just picking a breed and just going hunting when you are ready is that chances are, there will be a litter on the way or on the ground that you like.

If x and y decide to not make the puppehs.. I am probably going to have some kind of nervous breakdown lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:44 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I agree with just letting the right DOG fall into your lap instead of obsessing over which breed. If BOTH fit you, then what could go wrong? I'm 99% sure I am getting a Whippet as my next dog. But if a rescue (or an Alaskan Klee Kai!!) were to come along at the right time, I would go with that. I have many years to be a dog owner, and many years to acquire the breeds I want.

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 07-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Top Dog

I wish I could just get both, haha. But I'm smart enough to know that that is a terrible idea. And also, my family would want to kill me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I ask Denis. LOL I am horrible at making decisions...
I tried that and it wasn't much help. I asked my mom the other day which breed she thought was better and all she said was "I thought you had your heart set on a Koolie? Only you know what you want". And to be honest, she is right in that I do have my heart set on a Koolie. But the chance to get a real toller (sorry Dance) is hard to pass up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
You come visit me and that way the unknown is a little less unknown!

But seriously I honestly can't help. I'm horrible with decisions and if I hadn't had the perfect breed fall in my lap I don't know what I would have done if it became an actual choice between breeds
Yes! Just have to figure timing and things out (with work).

And yeah, I am probably the world's worst decision maker sometimes. I've never had to make a choice between breeds before and it's harder than I would've thought. I just knew which breed I wanted when I got Dance. And really, if Dance had turned out to be what I think a Toller should be, then there really wouldn't be a choice to be made. I'd go for a Koolie, since I already have a Toller. And that's my other argument. I do already have a Toller, and eventhough she might take the crown for the laziest Toller there ever was, she's still a Toller and it might be nice to have something else. I like having a variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
I think the biggest thing if i got a non CKC breed would be what I want to do with the dog. Would it be a heartbreaker to have the dog turn out awesome in rally or obedience or herding or whatever but never be able to trial because the breed can't even get a PEN? If I want a dog for competition I want to be able to actually compete.
That is something for me, but I am not a serious competitor and am happy enough just training my dogs for me and my enjoyment, and playing games with them and having fun without having to compete in anything. One day I will have an Obedience dog as that is something I really do like a lot, but whether that's the next dog or a dog years in the future really doesn't matter that much to me right now. And at least with Agility you don't have to have a CKC breed depending on the venue, so that is something I could do with either breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
I actually considered Tollers at one point, then was around a few. Including this weekend, having to demat one while it had tantrums the whole time and separate another from the other dogs because he's a humper.

The border collies have quite similar attitudes and drive, maybe a bit more, same size and no screaming. Kilt is a bit quieter than Ticket but is still quite responsive and loves to work, so I'm happy with the show line borders.
See, and my experience with Tollers has been that they're quite tolerant and well mannered and easy (for me) to live with, but many are a bit boring for me after having my Toller/Border Collie mix. But to get all that I do love about the breed (I've never had a dog I've over all enjoyed more than Dance) in a dog with higher drive and energy and is friendly would be great and is something I can't help but think about. They are my breed and I know I'll have many more, but just not sure whether the next should come now or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
See, that's kind of the thing. I know of two litters (one in each breed) that will likely produce the type of puppy I want. And I like both breeders for different reasons. And I don't want to let multiple breeders know I want one of their puppies, because then if I decide to go with the other puppy, then the other breeder now has to find another home for their puppy when she thought she already had one. I feel like I'm being disloyal or something. I want to be able to tell a breeder "yes, I want one of your puppies" and be done with it. But in doing so, I feel like I might miss out on my perfect puppy.

Decisions and I just do not get along sometimes.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 07-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
One of the big reasons koolies are out is that you'd have to neuter to get an AKC PAL/ILP. Doing AKC is important to me as I live in the middle of nowhere and AKC is the primary venue. I'd be really disappointed if I couldn't compete in AKC.
This is my biggest hang up with the breed. Luckily, there is a big USDAA crowd where I train so that will be Zinga's primary agility venue.

BTW, I already told Linds, but let me know when you go to visit her, I'll see if I can bring the Zinga down too!

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
BTW, I already told Linds, but let me know when you go to visit her, I'll see if I can bring the Zinga down too!
That would be awesome if you and Zinga could come! I will for sure let you know. :-)

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 07-05-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
This is my biggest hang up with the breed. Luckily, there is a big USDAA crowd where I train so that will be Zinga's primary agility venue.

If y'all ever figure out a way around that let me know. I really do love the sound of them and have often thought how neat it would be to bring over a solid colored one to kind of 'help out' with the breeding purposes (lol) but.... almost all shows are AKC around here and that cancels out the keeping them intact thing. My trainer runs her Welsh sheepdog in the mixed breed category but I just can't see importing a dog and then having to neuter it to run it in agility. I really hate that AKC policy.

If any koolies end up around here in TX/OK/KS area let me know. I still would like to meet some.