Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Top Dog

Default How do you guys...

decide between breeds you love equally? Or maybe I'm the only one really awful at making these types of decisions, haha. I was pretty dead set on getting a certain breed, and am still 99.5% sure that that's the breed I want. But there is another part of me that knows I should also be able to find exactly the dog I want in another Toller. Both breeds share similarities that I love, with enough differences where I go "I like this trait better about this breed, but I like that trait better about that breed".

On one hand, I am terrified of getting another lazy, spooky Toller, but on the other hand, with the other breed, I think my biggest hang up is fear of the unknown. I know Tollers, I know I'll enjoy living with one and I am confident enough that I should be able to find a breeder that will be able to produce and match me to the right puppy for me. The other breed I love I've never lived with and have to go by what other people tell me. And I want to meet the breed, but even so, that's still different than actually living with one.

I guess the biggest thing would be trying to decide which cons to each breed outweigh the other. But even the cons really aren't that big a deal. With one breed the biggest cons are the possibility of a screamer and grooming and with the other the biggest one would be barking I think. The biggest perk to another Toller is that I would be able to compete in CKC sports (I love Obedience), but that's not a deal breaker. I'd be perfectly happy with a fun pet also that I couldn't compete in anything with.

It's so frustrating. I hate big decisions like this! I just want a healthy, active dog that I will be happy living with for hopefully the next 12+ years and both breeds suit what I want as long as I find the right individual.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 07-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Top Dog

When I can't decide on a breed, I let opportunity and fate decide, mostly. If it wasn't meant to be, it wasn't. But if you get a perfect dog/breeder land right in your lap and under your nose...seize the opportunity and take the chance of getting exactly what you want...even if it wasn't where you thought you would find it.

Over the last 6 months, we've had a lot of dogs fall in our laps, and I thought "this is IT, that is the ONE", but it never worked out, and sometimes it was for a good reason. And now we are moving to Italy, and I sort of see the bigger picture on why those opportunities could have never worked out.

I'm a big fate/karma person, though. It's never steered me wrong.

I'd say dip your hand into more than one cookie jar. Then you have all the great chances of getting what you want!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm All Ears

At that point, I'm looking more at breeders and lines than anything. If the right Aussie or pyr shep or sheltie or whatnot falls into place instead of a BC, then that's what I'll get. I really do plan on a BC but I think there comes a point where finding the right individual and breeder is more important.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I ask Denis. LOL I am horrible at making decisions...
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Top Dog

When you figure it out would you let me know? Thanks

Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Twin 2

You come visit me and that way the unknown is a little less unknown!

But seriously I honestly can't help. I'm horrible with decisions and if I hadn't had the perfect breed fall in my lap I don't know what I would have done if it became an actual choice between breeds
Old 07-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Sport Model Pug

I think the biggest thing if i got a non CKC breed would be what I want to do with the dog. Would it be a heartbreaker to have the dog turn out awesome in rally or obedience or herding or whatever but never be able to trial because the breed can't even get a PEN? If I want a dog for competition I want to be able to actually compete.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 07-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
I think the biggest thing if i got a non CKC breed would be what I want to do with the dog. Would it be a heartbreaker to have the dog turn out awesome in rally or obedience or herding or whatever but never be able to trial because the breed can't even get a PEN? If I want a dog for competition I want to be able to actually compete.
The CKC doesn't have anything like the PAL/ILP program in the AKC?

Old 07-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

I actually considered Tollers at one point, then was around a few. Including this weekend, having to demat one while it had tantrums the whole time and separate another from the other dogs because he's a humper.

The border collies have quite similar attitudes and drive, maybe a bit more, same size and no screaming. Kilt is a bit quieter than Ticket but is still quite responsive and loves to work, so I'm happy with the show line borders.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
The CKC doesn't have anything like the PAL/ILP program in the AKC?
You can get a miscellaneous listed number if the breed is in the miscellaneous class and registered with the breeds governing body. Then there's the Performance Event Number but the dog is supposed to be a rescue and be or look enough like a recognized breed and be altered to get that. CKC does not have a program for crossbreeds.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug