Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

Default Electric Fence?

I have always hated electric fencing. But with me working about 80 hours a week this year (I took a second job on top of being a resident physician, I'm crazy) and it looks like Steve will have a full time job too, I would like for the kids to be able to let the dogs out in the yard for a while when they get home from school.

Our yard has a steep drop off in the back, and cannot be effectively fenced so Uncle Fred can't casually hop over it off the slope. The only thing I can think of is electric fence. I' know all the drawbacks, but don't have any other ideas. Thoughts??

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused

Last edited by drmom777; 07-04-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 07-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

Do you mean an invisible fence with the collars, or an actual electric fence like for livestock?

The collar ones are good, if the dogs are taught properly. For those I would suggest the plug in model that is wireless because it is less likely that the dogs will run past the shock zone of the wire ones - it continues to correct them if they are out of the zone. The collars can cause sores on their necks.

The livestock fence works well for jumpers/climbers but will also correct humans who forget and grab it. A friend has that on the top of her fence in her dog run because a few of her dogs figured out how to jump and climb out, within a day of installing it they all rethought their quest for freedom and it's no longer an issue. I don't know if it's legal where you are but I know some people in the city have put them up around their flowerbeds and gardens to keep cats out.