Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-04-2012, 12:40 AM
Top Dog

Default Gavroche's DNA test results!

For those of you who didn't already know, I found a DNA test kit on sale for $1.49 and sent it out on Gavroche.

This is Gavroche:

He is registered as a boxer (PAL/ILP) with both AKC and UKC, and to do so I had to send in pictures for them to verify he appears to be full boxer.

Last time I did this (different company), he came back as 90% boxer, 10% Scottish terrier. Okay, believable.

Well, here's the breakdown this time:
62.5% Boxer
11.19% Standard Poodle
10.96% Irish Setter
9.55% Old English Sheepdog
2.95% English Cocker Spaniel
2.85% American Staffordshire Terrier

I got excited at first because the picture in the beginning shows all boxers, and officially calls him a "boxer mix x boxer mix."

Anyway, so there we have it! Gavroche is a boxerdoodle. Be jealous of his long curly hair.

Last edited by eddieq; 07-04-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlaa View Post
i like this pinky hue
LOL I do too!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Top Dog

I can completely see the Irish setter influence as well. Lol!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post

Anyway, so there we have it! Gavroche is a boxerdoodle. Be jealous of his long curly hair.
I'm SO jealous!

If those things weren't normally pricey, I'd love for a few of us with AKC registered dogs of breeds the tests includes to send in for a test, LOL. I'd love to see if it can accurately identify known purebred dogs.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
If those things weren't normally pricey, I'd love for a few of us with AKC registered dogs of breeds the tests includes to send in for a test, LOL. I'd love to see if it can accurately identify known purebred dogs.
I've seen it work both ways on purebreds. Two I personally know of (English Mastiff and BC) both came back 100% their breed. There are you tube videos of ones that didn't come back correctly.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Add a couple dogs here to "it was right". Honestly the wisdom panel is proving pretty spot on with a lot of my friends. I know 3 hob nob BCs who came back pure, a purpose bred lurcher who came back 50/50, and a guessed kelpie/BC that came back almost entirely kelpie/BC.

I do however want to try it too! It's interesting!

I heard at the western veterinary conference that it's not the tests that have been flawed but the technicians reading the tests had not been previously educated on what to look for.

I really want to try it.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

I'll probably do one on Gusto at some point, if I can find a relatively inexpensive one. I see it as entertainment dollars spent. His "twin" that trains with us had one done and came back 1/2 BC, with the other half mostly rat terrier. Certainly not an off the wall possibility.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Hmmm interesting. Maybe I'll do one on Macky. There's been much discussion as to whether she's part Cocker or part Cav (groomer's suggestion based on her coat).

I'd also be curious to see if, for example, Ollie comes back as an English cocker, despite being from a gene pool fairly separate from most show/pet English cockers.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I heard at the western veterinary conference that it's not the tests that have been flawed but the technicians reading the tests had not been previously educated on what to look for.
That wouldn't surprise me. If the marker's there, the marker's there. My doubts come in when it comes down to 1. is it really a breed-specific marker, 2. is the test being performed/read properly (cross contamination?), and 3. what about random mutations? (I'd have to read up more on the markers to know if that's a legitimate concern).

The staffy in there absolutely does not surprise me. The others do lol (well, except for boxer of course ).
Old 07-04-2012, 11:02 AM
woof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
lol, but he is all white, so that means he is part poodle everyone knows that poodles ONLY come in solid white.

This means Pompadour is a cockadoodle or that I dye his hair