Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Top Dog

Yup. I've had several. All the fights that occurred here were due to dogs, that usually got along, deciding they now would rather fight then play or a breakdown of hardware on their chains resulting in a loose dog roaming among the others.

Many of my dogs liked to fight. I know that many would rather refuse to believe dogs could/would enjoy doing such, but they do/did. It's really that simple.

I've just always been super-vigilant in preventing those situations. All my dogs were on chain set-ups when all were/are outside. They were/are crated and rotated. And even when I had a few that did get along for the most part, play sessions were only with two dogs, and I was always standing there supervising and each session only lasted 15 minutes or so. No potential triggers, such as toys, spring pole, flirt pole, were allowed during play sessions. All my dogs had durable nylon collars on at all times as well.

But it doesn't bother me. My dogs werent fighting over me or over food (or other high value items), and I did not and do not consider it "disrespectful". While I don't allow fights here, I don't get all pissed-off alpha-like about it. It's a fight. Break it up, try to figure out where you failed or what failed (I.e. TB's swivel broke on his chain two days ago), and make the necessary adjustments/corrections to try and prevent it in the future.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 AM
such sights to show you

Maisy can get snarky sometimes, but hasn't started anything serious. Pip has started one serious fight with each of the other dogs, almost exactly one year ago. It coincided with Squash starting to mature. Maisy fought back, Squash didn't.

I'm quite certain there would have been more incidents if we hadn't started keeping them separate and working on DS & CC. After Squash was neutered and his hormones faded away, there was a noticeable decrease in Pip's interest in "policing" him as well, so that definitely helped the situation.

We've worked pretty hard and they are fine outside in the yard together with supervision, but still separated most of the time in the house. Our house is small and we have to be very careful about having them all together indoors, it's very easy for them to get crowded and overstimulated and get snarky. It works out well for us because with the layout of our first floor we were able to separate it into two spaces with hardware mounted baby gates without really isolating anyone. We have a routine where everyone gets their own "people time" and attention.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Top Dog

Nope, never. Piper can get a little snarky sometimes, but it's never more than a little growl. The boys know their place (below the Queen), and both are so laid back that no one is ever trying to climb the "dominant dog" pole.

Food has dropped on the floor before and never anything, new toys are never an issue, neither are new dogs. I'm very lucky.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:02 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Yup.

Chloe and Rose can't be loose together, period, or they will fight. Not just squabble fight, but fight for blood. Luckily, this isn't too much of an issue as Rose is an outdoor/indoor dog and very old, so even when they're both inside they're happy to stay in their respective parts of the house, and when they're both outside Chloe is on lead.

Gracie, Cooper, and Cynder, no. Never. If they got into even a squabble over something I would be floored. All three dogs are so mellow and submissive/nonchalant that they don't even get huffy over chew bones.

If/when Chloe comes to live with me and not my mom, I am expecting a few squabbles between her and the other three. Chloe's just a bitch and has already snarked at them a few times when they come up to her and she's laying down. Luckily the girls are smart enough to just leave her alone/avoid her and Cooper is so submissive he wouldn't even dream of retaliating.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Top Dog

Nope. Never. The closest thing to disagreeable that ever happens is if Jose` gets on the couch in such a way that Chuli, buried under the covers thinks she's going to be stepped on by him, she gives a little, short growl. He is careful not to step on her, finds a good spot to lie down, and that's the end of that. They really are crazy about each other and Jose` is extremely accommodating...never snarks back.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-04-2012, 10:31 AM
My dog tickles my soul

I only have one dog, but he's not a fighter. He's been picked on by other dogs (friends' dogs, family's dogs, dog park dogs), and he's the type that just lies down and cries until I save him.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Crazy Dog!

Yes and no. I had two bitches that eventually had to be separated. The oldest would not let up in a fight, but never started one, and the younger bitch was constantly challenging her position in the 'pack'. One of them went to live with my brother, and the other one passed away a year ago.

The two I have now, Zen and Rumor. Rumor is a horrible resource guarder. I don't leave toys or bones down but she can find stuff to guard. Crickets that wander into the house, a spot under the table, etc. Zen is pretty respectful of her, but if she tries to take something from him he has gotten to the point he will stand up for himself. He's not a fighter, and really, neither is Rumor, so it ends quickly with no injuries. I've never had to split up a fight between these two, but they do squabble.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Bite Club

They've never had an all out fight where I've had to intervene. They get snarky sometimes but will back off and respect each others boundaries. They have some major brother and sister love going on, which I'm thankful for!

~Aura & Riley~
Old 07-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Behavior Nerd

Maggie used to have major interbitch aggression issues with my parents' dog at home, then was developing some similar issues with Z when we lost her to cancer - I think the issues with her and Z were probably because she was feeling like crap and I didn't know it.

Z does not fight with anyone, though she is mistress of the appropriate snark. Kestrel does not fight with anyone in our house, though he's started some stuff with a friend's dog who was being too pushy. Both don't hesitate to fight back if someone goes after them though.

Aeri went after Z once, but tbh I think she thought Z was Snipe. Aeri has gone after Snipe a few times, but I'm pretty sure Snipe's the one who started it.

Snipe's a b*tch tbh. When she first came home she tried to start stuff with every.single.dog in the house. >.< That's one behavior I am not above using positive punishment for when I can catch it as it develops, and she got the idea quickly. She doesn't attempt pulling anything with Z, but does still do some weird things with Kes and Aeri that I break up to avoid escalation, but that has lessened in the last few months. She's the common denominator in all the actual fights that have happened in our house with the current dogs.

I'm confident leaving Kes, Z, and Aeri loose together unsupervised, but Snipe is crated and probably always will be unless I'm home to supervise interactions.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:11 PM
treehugging clicker freak

My two never fight. They 'communicate' very well, if Bailey is being annoying Maddie will tell her and she'll back off. They sleep together, and play together a lot... and Maddie's never really played with other dogs like this. I love it!!
With that being said, we've had fights before... When I lived with my parents and had a multiple dog household. That's how Maddie got her eye injury... Hope to never go back to a situation like that

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o