Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Default Pointless pondering (breeding related)

I know there is no way to know for sure and no way to prove my theory but hey.

Riley always stands for up to 20 days. She started standing on Thursday and I allowed them together on Saturday. They have been at it basically non stop since then.

This morning I noticed her swelling has gone right down and she is now snarking him. That's 6 days standing. It took him a few hours but he has lost interest in her.

They are now sleeping, snuggled up with each other. He finally ate dinner.

My gut says she is pregnant. I know there is no way to tell now and it she is she is probably 2 seconds preggars. LOL. But I don't know. Her behaviour is telling me that she is.

Pointless ramble over. LOL.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Top Dog

Horse world calls it settling. They'll stand until the heat is over if they don't get bred. But once they breed a few times, or even just once, they're good!

Too much fluid can complicate things anyway if the female doesn't have good clearance. So if the female was bred, took, but continued breeding afterward when it wasn't quite necessary, she might not keep the pregnancy. Mother Nature knows best. Sometimes. Lol.

Never really been into dog breeding, but from a horse standpoint, it makes sense!

Sending major puppy vibes.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Bite me.

Good luck! Just did my 30 day ultrasound check and YAY we have puppies in there. And some little ethnic men with sombreros. eew.

Technically, they'll stand until they ovulate. Once those eggs are released, the hormones change and we see the "Don't touch me."

Never thought of clearance issues with dogs. I really wish there was more reproductive work done with dogs the way it is with horses. Would love to be able to SEE what happens after each breeding, and when she actually goes.

I personally don't leave two dogs together all the time, I have controlled breeding sessions, usually every other day. I guess in a more natural setting, the breedings would happen all day every day.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:25 PM

I have controlled their access to each other to a certain extent. He was removed from her all of Monday and was allowed with her for 4 hours for Fri, Sat, Sun each. Today I allowed them together. They bred once and she is now snarking.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Top Dog

I wonder what the education would be like for dog reproduction? I know with horses I'll need the basics of a Vet Degree, and then I would go into specialized training or a research lab. Which is fine, because I'm a genetics geek anyway. But it would be cool to learn about dogs, too.

I was actually really shocked to learn that most dog breeders don't even bother checking a pregnancy until right before the due date, and some of them don't even do that. There's so much more work involved in horses!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:34 PM

Riley will be ultra sounded in 16 days to check for sacs. We have some pretty sensitive ultra sound equipment where I work, luckily.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Resident fainting goat

Puppies puppies puppies puppies!!!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliraptor View Post
And some little ethnic men with sombreros.
Dibs!!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Top Dog

Not having bred a dog, I could be mistaken. But I thought you were supposed to limit the number of matings.

Hope there are wee puppies though.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:32 PM
*Now with Snark*

I think dogs have had it pretty well dead to rights since the beginning. Bitches left to their own devices will stand for as many dogs as the local schoolyard can hold.

Most people shoot for two or three ties across 4-6 days and pretty much call it good. More is just unnecessary and risk. Most old time breeders I know will let a young stud out with a bitch for as many days as she's willing to stand and others use the every other day approach with older males.

Personally I don't ultrasound but rather x ray the week before the due date. Nothing the ultrasound is going to tell me will change the conclusion of things either way.