Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

My town and the surroundings have zero homeless. The town I work in has many as do some of the surrounding ones. Our county has ONE shelter open that takes both sexes in the summer and it is full with a waiting list. I know because I had to call today for someone. It is sad. But many are helped over and over and there is only so much you can do. Can't force meds and we have no long term mental health hospitals.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 07-03-2012, 08:23 PM
orange iguanas.

I wouldn't stop them but it'd make me uncomfortable. I don't want anybody on my property.

Don't have that issue here though.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-04-2012, 04:38 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
... you don't? No binners? Not even in your big cities?

I don't think we have many in the city I live in, mostly the people I see bottle collecting are not homeless, and the true homeless we do have come in for day trips on public transit from the big city.
No.... And I live in a city... Inner city London may be different, but no where else I have been have I ever seen people in bins on a regular basis. There's no money to be made collecting rubbish, and I don't think the homeless population is at crisis point. At least where I live....
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-04-2012, 06:05 AM
Blackout

Homelessness here is quite an issue...not enough shelters/support and all the govt money (of course) keeps going to the wrong things.

My area is a relatively upscale upper mid class residential area, but we do get quite an assortment of "buggy people" wandering through - especially at late night/early morning. They are mostly harmless - fishing for cans, milk bottles, profitable junk etc - once a woman did actually come inside our yard though, my dad caught her trying our garage door lock and yelled, she fled and was never to be seen again. Another incident involved a man grabbing a bag of coins from the open trunk of our car (we have apartment buildings with coin operated laundry machines - my dad had just finished collecting from them and was unloading things into the house) and dashing off - we called police, never caught him - he has continued however to frequent the neighborhood.... he continues to elude authorities.

Hmm, documents are shredded here as well after we don't need them - appliance boxes, high end purchase containers/boxes, and other sensitive garbage is recycled or thrown out usually at one of our apartment dumpsters where they are restricted access and handled by a private waste management company.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 07-04-2012, 06:33 AM
Top Dog

Yes, I would. We don't have homeless people where I live, but if I did, I wouldn't allow them on my land to route through bins.

My Photos
Old 07-04-2012, 08:54 AM
such sights to show you

Maybe it doesn't bother me because people don't really have to come on to anyone's property in my neighborhood to get to the trash/recycling. There are typically detached garages on the alley, and everything goes behind the garage right on the alley. That's what I mean by "putting stuff on the alley". People occasionally cruise up and down the alleys looking for big junk that people have put out, but I've never seen anyone actually going through the trash bins. Or if they are, they don't leave a mess.

They're certainly welcome to wade through all the dog and cat poop if they like, I suppose, but we shred and recycle all our paper, anyway, so they're not going to find anything valuable. Poor them.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:09 PM
overdogged

There's an elderly guy who comes around and picks cans out of the recycling bins people have put out at the curb. Doesn't bother me at all. If he can make some cash off them for the aluminum, more power to him.

I miss when our town had large trash pick up. I got a toddler bed for the dogs that way one year LOL
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Top Dog

I have a typical urban alley setup, so no one comes onto my property to go through trash/recycling.

Generally speaking, we have two groups -- the first, who go through recycling bins and take aluminum cans, and the second, who drive pickups and look for larger items. I don't have any reason to believe they're homeless; in fact, I think most are probably not.

It doesn't bother me a bit. Sometimes it makes me feel sad. But everyone I've run into has been very nice and I've never felt uncomfortable or unsafe. More power to them IMO.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:11 AM
Top Dog

We don't have homeless here really unless you count the guy that lives in a trailer at his parent's shop. But he's generally not a problem. Too small of a community for a shelter or anything, and we don't have garbage pickup.

I wouldn't have a problem with them going through the trash as long as it wasn't bothering me (as in tossing things around at 3 am) or making a mess of things though, but wouldn't thrill me either.

We do have a 'take it or leave it' twice a year where they open the curling rink and put up tables and everyone hauls their stuff there, picks through other people's stuff and the rest gets taken away. There is a year round one but not many people are using it right now because the hutterites and 'vultures' as they're called stay there all day and will take EVERYTHING and load it into their vehicles. It's like a zombie movie, they all stalk you and will even grab out of your vehicle if you don't watch it (I had to tell them that no, the brand new stuff in the walmart bags was not for them.... just bought it!).

That I don't like, because it's supposed to be for those who need it, not just for a select few to gobble up.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Top Dog

Yeah we don't really have any homeless in my town...too far out from major towns/cities. I wouldn't really care, though we do put a check on the bin monthly for the service.