Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Default How do you keep your house clean?? W/multiple pets and/or longhaired dogs?

This might belong under "fire hydrant" so sorry if you have to move it, mods. But I need HELP! I'm under siege! It's summer in Southern California, and everything is dry, dead and dusty.

My dog has a Sheltie-type coat and hairy little paws. Sienna is a magnet for dust, dirt, twigs, leaves, and other bits of the great outdoors that she ends up wearing inside. I'd almost like to shave her. (I wouldn't really) I do try to keep her paws trimmed at the least, but the hair grows back so fast it's ridiculous. It doesn't help that the park I walk her at every day has a dirt path. Gotta start walking on sidewalks...

I also have a cat. She doesn't go outside, but she probably should, because then at least SOME of the cat hair would be outside, too. (With my luck, Sienna would just track it back into the house...) Georgette, the kitty, has a coat like a Chinchilla and "shedding" doesn't even begin to describe what she does. "Molting" would be more accurate, or like collie people say, "blowing her coat."

And she's a virtuoso at tracking cat litter everywhere. I have her litter box inside a piece of furniture, with two rugs she has to cross to get out, and still I end up stepping on litter and litter dust all the time.

Fellow owners of dirty little animals what are your best tips and strategies for keeping the outdoors, well, outdoors? And fighting the fur?

My blog: The DIY Dog
Old 06-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

I vacuum every day. With a dyson.

Wipe down the dog ever other day or when needed.

Remove clutter so everything is easier to clean.

That's about it! General cleaning habits, really.

Lyz and Zander
zaner-waner-fluffy-butt <3

'05 Siberian Husky

Old 06-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Top Dog

I sweep, mop and vacuum daily and when the dogs are shedding we brush daily.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Glutton for Crazy

What hours do you work that you have the energy to vacuum daily? I'm lucky to vacuum weekly. lol

Basically I touch up as I can and do a deep cleaning once or twice a week.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Love My Mutt <3

We live in clutter.

It's always been more important to us that the time we have together, is focused on spending time together or with the pets, so we just deal with the clutter.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
What hours do you work that you have the energy to vacuum daily? I'm lucky to vacuum weekly. lol

Basically I touch up as I can and do a deep cleaning once or twice a week.
I stay at home with my dogs every day!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
What hours do you work that you have the energy to vacuum daily?
Seriously, LOL. I at least have hardwood floors, but I have to swiffer them at least 2x a week, and even that isn't enough. I try to brush the pets daily, but sometimes it seems like the cat sheds MORE when I brush her.

I have to vacuum the sofas every other day. Daily would be better. I dream about leather upholstery.

Clutter is a very good point, too. I've been in my place less than 6 months, so I'm still figuring out the optimum furniture arrangement and ditching extra stuff. Furniture with either lots of space under it, or solid furniture is the easiest to clean around. Smooth surfaces are good and fabric anything is the enemy. Good thing I like minimalist, modern decor.

Really, I don't mind normal cleaning. But this has grown to Sisyphean proportions...or maybe I have a distorted concept of what 'normal' cleaning should be.

I'm house-sitting right now and was pondering why this house is so much cleaner than mine. Despite having a maid, it helps that they live on an upper floor of a high-rise. All of the dirt gets worn off in the garage, lobby, elevator, and hallway. My house has none of those.

My blog: The DIY Dog
Old 06-30-2012, 10:18 PM
such sights to show you

Vacuum, vacuum, sweep, and vacuum. We have wood floors, so most of the hair collects around the baseboards and I take the wee canister vacuum around the edges of the room a few times a week for that, then vacuum the area rugs a couple of times a week, too. Sometimes I can just sort of grab clumps of hair by hand.

We have a few sets of sheets that we cover the couches with, and rotate/wash them as needed (usually weekly).

Old 06-30-2012, 10:24 PM
The Littlest Hound

Vacuum, vacuum the couch, wipe down surfaces with clorox wipes ALL THE TIME, dog laundry weekly or so (beds, bed covers, blankies), swifter the floors and wipe the baseboards/railings clean of fur. Groom the dogs monthly (but mine are short haired - so I just pick a day for baths, toe nail trims, ears & anal glands...), and I think having a lawn guy helps with the amount of stuff they can track in. Honestly, it is a lot to keep up with, but I like to have four dogs AND a clean house. Also, I LOVE those wallflowers from bath & body works - I have three downstairs & one upstairs in the "dog room" and one in the master bath. I like to think it gives an overall clean smell

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 06-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Let it be

I go straight to the source and vaccum the dog.