Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Top Dog

No pictures handy at the moment, but I adore leather and will never go back to anything else. All my leashes are leather and so is Logan's harness and Gavroche's collar. Logan will get a leather collar eventually, too.

I like leather because it feels good, plan and simple
Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 PM
and Fozzie B!

Leather collars hands down! A nice rolled or flat leather collar is going to last so long and look good forever. A nylon collar on my dogs looks like sh!t within a few trips to the lake. I got Fozzie a really well made leather collar from Around The Collar like 3 years ago for his birthday, it was way too expensive ($80) but it was nicely made, double layered, stamped and had swarovski crystals in it. 3 years later, after wearing it in the lake, the ocean, baby pools, mud, etc it still looks brand new and doesn't have a mark on it! The crystals are all intact! While all of his $20-30 collars look like junk within 6 months.

Nylon leashes are the DEVIL, after getting rope burn on my arm from one... and I still have the scar, 6 years later. A thin (1/2"), high quality leather lead is going to feel great, look good forever and won't give you rope burn. It's important to buy QUALITY leather or it'll stretch, fade and bend. But it's worth paying $20-50 more it if it lasts 10 years. Braided leather is amazing for leashes. I also love the Mendota slip leads for casual walks & park trips, they're soft and have never hurt my hands. They're quick, easy puppy leads for potty walks and leash training.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Leather. No issue to care for, swimming regularly etc. Still look nice a year later. Can't say the same for any other material I've ever owned.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Just try me..

Leather.. outlasts any nylon I have ever used on a dog (or a horse!)
Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Top Dog

My favorite has turned out to be White pine soft leads.
http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/c...&ProductCode=4
It fits in my hand nicely (bonus when you have small hands). And its incredibly soft and doesn't burn like regular nylon and sometimes leather. They also seem to last forever. Ivan has had the same collar and leads for 7 1/2 years now.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Kaydee

Nylon, bright colors and designs, you can throw them in the washer if they smell doggie and they just fit Sophie better-softer and more comfortable, she has a really broad neck and shoulders.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

I prefer leather for a few reasons. I don't like the feel of nylon leashes in my hand. Maybe because I used to ride horses?? Soft leather feels sooo much better than weird itchy nylon. I also think the leather is easier to keep clean. Yeah, you can wash nylon leashes but they still fray and end up looking worn out. If you take good care of leather it lasts forever, so I feel that it's a greener option, too, which I try to choose whenever I can.

Sienna has a leather collar, but for a different reason - I just like the way a loose, rolled collar looks on her vs. a flat buckle (she has a big Sheltie ruff) and I've never seen a rolled nylon collar before. The leather just looks nicer, too, IMO.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 07-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Kaydee

If I may add, I love the way leather looks. My past dogs had leather collars. But I tried one leather leash and my hands sweat a lot, I had trouble keeping a grip on the finish.

I use a double sewn nylon leash-like two nylon leashes fused together. It's three years worth of durable so far even with strong pulling sometimes.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Water Junkie

Leather, definitely. My Paco collar has been in so much water in the past 3ish months it's not even funny. And it STILL looks brand new, and it's gotten so soft. I still haven't conditioned it, either. lol

And my leather leash. That leash has been through everything. Lake water, herding lessons, dock diving, pool water, mud, puppies. It's about 4 years old. While it's still in great condition, it is a bit stiff. However, it's *never* been conditioned since having it.

That being said, I have had a few leather collars, some cheap, some supposed-to-be high quality, bleed when wet. So while I think leather is the best, it is necessary to have high quality leather products.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Oh yah, I use rope leashes, or a flexi lead, so I'm holding plastic lol

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13