Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-01-2012, 03:34 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Default Hoping it's nothing

I noticed the other day that Hannah has two hard little lumps on the back of her head on the right side near the base of her skull. they are small pea sized lumps and they are hard and don't move. The skin glides over them easily but the bumps don't move at all.

I noticed them the other day when I found a tick on her head (not a deer tick. it was embedded but not engorged yet) but it looked like she had been scratching at the area (she had a couple little knicks on her head that look like she was scratching with her long nails) so I just blew it off as that. Now a few days later the bumps are still there. There is no mark, they aren't red or anything, just bumps under the skin.

when I touch them she says it hurts but I don't know if they really do hurt or if she's just annoyed because I keep checking them. She doesn't seem to wince when I brush her hair or wash her hair or anything.

I'm making her a doctors appt tomorrow to get them looked at. So please pray that it's nothing... just bumps.

Anyone ever had this?

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Felurian

No, but I sure hope it's nothing worse than possibly she scratched off tick bodies. Awful as that sounds, it's something that should be fairly easy to remedy

~~~~Vibes~~~~~ for Hannah!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-01-2012, 03:48 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
No, but I sure hope it's nothing worse than possibly she scratched off tick bodies. Awful as that sounds, it's something that should be fairly easy to remedy

~~~~Vibes~~~~~ for Hannah!
I was thinking that too... but there is no mark. Where the other tick was there was a noticeable mark where it was removed (and I made sure I got the head out too) but these don't have a mark and they aren't even red or anything. It's just like a little pea under the skin.

I've heard there are also lymphnodes back there and she has been tired lately so maybe she's fighting an infection or virus or something.

Thanks. can't wait to call the doc in the morning and make an appt... just for my own peace of mind

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Big Dog

I get those kind of knots/bumps after a tick bite...I am very allergic to them.

Neosporin ointment cuts the inflammation in half, but they still hang around for months.

Good Luck. Hope it is nothing!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:28 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabby View Post
I get those kind of knots/bumps after a tick bite...I am very allergic to them.

Neosporin ointment cuts the inflammation in half, but they still hang around for months.

Good Luck. Hope it is nothing!
hmmm hopefully it's just something like that. now the lumps aren't where the actual tick bite (the one I found) was. they are just below.

G.K. Chesterton

Old 07-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Bite Club

~~Vibes~~ for it being nothing to worry about!

~Aura & Riley~
Old 07-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

They might be Occipital Lymph Nodes that are swollen due to the tick bite. Clive's have been swollen when he's had colds, etc.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
They might be Occipital Lymph Nodes that are swollen due to the tick bite. Clive's have been swollen when he's had colds, etc.
This is what I might've guessed... I'll often get swollen lymph nodes (situated almost behind the ear at the base of the skull) when something else is up. They don't hurt unless you poke at them in which case, yep, they can be quite sore.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 07-01-2012, 05:18 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
I actually just read something about that and it sounds very possible. So I am really hope it is just something like that.

G.K. Chesterton

Old 07-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

Yes, from your description it sounds like lymph nodes.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused