Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Wild At Heart

Default You'd think I'm abusing my dog...

People are getting all over my case because I let Harleigh play outside during the summer

They were appalled that our agility classes weren't cancelled and that I still took her to them. They can't believe that I take her out to fetch during the day or that I take her for walks or hikes during the summer. Swimming is the ONLY acceptable exercise in summer it seems like.

It hasn't even been THAT hot here. Right now it is 95 (heat index is 107), so really our normal summer weather or at the very least temperatures that we've handled before.

Seriously? If I only let her play outside on "cool" days, we'd never be outside here... especially during summer! They act as if I don't take any "precautions" (i.e. plenty of water to drink, hosing her down, resting (if she wants), etc.) and that letting her be a dog is terrible

/rant over

Harleigh <3
Old 07-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Let it be

My dog overheats very easily so I have to take that into consideration in the warmer weather. He still goes outside though all the time. I overheat easily too though so we are a perfect combo. He goes on a leash if I TRULY think he is overdoing it and needs a rest but won't, but he is good at taking care of himself. He will cool himself off, seek outshade, dunk himself in water and keep hydrated. Frick I need to learn to take care of myself as well as he does!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

Here it's been over 105 for several days in a row (come one, REALLY? This is supposed to happen in AUGUST, not JUNE!). I play with my dogs in the evening when the sun starts to go down. Gavroche is white and a boxer, so not only does he burn easily but he also overheats easily, unfortunately :/ Logan would be happy to sit outside all day and stare at the chickens still. He thinks I'm evil because I won't let him stay outside for more than half an hour or so.

We still play indoors during the heat of the day (when I'm home anyway). But unless it's cool outside, we're not staying out very long. Right now I'm running a bleach shirt factory in my backyard for our dog club, so the dogs are coming out with me every 10 minutes for about 3-4 minutes at a time when I bleach each shirt.

I will play with Logan with the hose as long as it's not TOO incredibly hot (if it's 105 I'm not going out. No thank you!). He gets wet, but he's also VERY active and gets hot anyway. After we play for I bit I trick him into a quick bath before we go back in Gavorche wants nothing to do with the hose or water.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Kaydee

Ahhhh, everybody has to give their three cents about our human kids or critter kids...WE know our kids. If it's hot and we go to the reservation there are pools in the dogs runs, water fountains all around and streams on the trails...easy to stay hydrated plus she'll jump in the pool somewhere along the way too.

No matter if it's heat or snow I know my girl has to run off that energy sometime in the day to be a happy camper, me too, you do what works for you and your doggie!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Mutts to you

Riley doesn't care how cold, hot, etc. it is - he needs to run or he's a PITA. When it's miserably hot (like now), he'll run like a crazy dog, then jump into one of the low horse troughs to cool off, then run some more. The older boys prefer AC to running, and that's fine, too.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey