Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Ooh, good thread idea! I just decided (after dismembering a 10 lb raw turkey) (hey, it was free) that I'm kind of really, really done with the whole prey thing. (where's the little green "I'm gonna puke" smiley? LOL)

I was totally going to ask this question myself...off to read the rest of the thread!

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 07-03-2012, 07:42 AM
love the fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
Ooh, good thread idea! I just decided (after dismembering a 10 lb raw turkey) (hey, it was free) that I'm kind of really, really done with the whole prey thing. (where's the little green "I'm gonna puke" smiley? LOL)

I was totally going to ask this question myself...off to read the rest of the thread!
Why does that make you done with the prey model feeding?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 AM
such sights to show you

So, there isn't any evidence then. Got it.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Sorry, I just really don't buy it. So what if they digest at different rates? Has anyone demonstrated that this affects GI transit times in any meaningful way, or that the pH of the stomach is actually changed, and if it is, to a magnitude that actually affects digestion?

This stuff is accepted as gospel in some circles and it makes absolutely no physiologic sense to me whatsoever. I suspect it came about from people seeing dogs get diarrhea and creating explanations for it, but if I'm wrong I'd love to see some evidence. I'm sure some individual dogs do better feeding them separate, but that doesn't translate to it being necessary for all dogs.
I've sold premade raw for several years now and yes people mix them without issues but there are also some who have dogs that get sick from mixing. So really it's just a way to play it safe when we're recommending/selling raw foods.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 AM
love the fluff

Quote:
The "evidence" is the way most dogs digestion reacts to mixing the two together. Some handle it fine, but as others here have said most do not. When they seem fine with one, then mix the two and get the runs like crazy.....

What more would be needed to see that? It's simple to understand when a digestive system is made by nature for one food, but then gets a mix of that with all sorts of artificial man made stuff. The system doesn't know how to handle it.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Huh, well, chalk my dogs up as the exception to "most" then I guess. My dogs do fine with both in close succession, and occasionally have their "fast food" (kibble) meals when I forget to thaw something. I've also had no problem mixing. Same with my mom's pup, he gets both right now. Go figure, huh? lol

I can see sensitive dogs having issues not because of magical digestion rates but because raw and kibble are very different (one is full of water, one is very dry and dense). Just like some dogs get the craps if you give them canned food for the first time, etc. But I've never had a problem, and I've also boarded dogs at work that get both and do fine.

Also, my cat does fine. He'll be eating chicken necks, canned food, and a bit of kibble today, and he won't be blowing out the lid off the cat box, lol.

ETA: I don't disagree that raw goes through most dogs' systems better. Believe me, after three days of feeding kibble, I can't stand the giant poops - and I only feed grain free kibble, of course. Still, I'm used to like one hard little poop that turns into fairy dust by morning, not these big bread loaf looking things, LOL. I believe for most dogs that raw is an optimal diet, but really, they're scavengers, so they can get by (and well) on lots of things.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:59 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Not "true" raw...more like dehydrated homecooked diet...but it's a good diet from everything I've seen...anyway the point of this rambling is that Honest Kitchen has 20% off this month (anniversary sale). So if you've wanted to try it now is the time. Still pricey but makes it a little more reasonable!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
I don't think there have been scientific studies done, at least not that I can find... but there are also very limited scientific studies done on feeding raw PERIOD. That doesn't mean feeding raw isn't beneficial. If you google "mixing raw and kibble" you'll find hundreds of links against it, many from reputable authors and raw websites.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I don't think there have been scientific studies done, at least not that I can find... but there are also very limited scientific studies done on feeding raw PERIOD. That doesn't mean feeding raw isn't beneficial. If you google "mixing raw and kibble" you'll find hundreds of links against it, many from reputable authors and raw websites.
If I google "UFOs are real" I get ten million links. :/

I'm not arguing that raw isn't beneficial. I feed partially raw. I just wish people would leave it at "mixing the raw and kibble might cause diarrhea in some dogs" instead of making up a scenario to explain or justify why that then propagates into some kind of gospel fact. Precisely because there are so few studies done, stuff like this just gives opposition more ammunition against "those crazy raw feeders".

Because when I sit down and actually think about how digestion works both mechanically and enzymatically, "digesting at different rates" makes no scientific or physiologic sense for an animal that first nature turned into an opportunistic glutton and then we bred far, far away from any semblance of a natural wild animal.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:04 AM
love the fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I don't think anything scientific has been done either. All the "evidence" needed is what you see for yourself in the results of your dogs.