Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Blackout

Default When does "brat" phase end?

Katalin gets plenty of toys, exercise, bones, games played with her and she certainly isn't under stimulated. But somehow she's still just...aggravating in her bratty behavior and nothing quite seems to curb it; she steals things, jumps on tables, is destructive (chews up pillows, shoes, clothes, table legs etc) and will even eat toys if she can managed to swallow or get them into small enough pieces and unsupervised with them (which isn't often).

She has boundaries in place, she does get disciplined, she understands basic concepts of what is and isn't desirable behavior...but just she keeps on going at it.

So limiting her to the ex pen with a safe chewie or something when we're out or she can't be supervised is a good way to go for now but I was just wondering, usually when does this obnoxious bratty phase generally come to a end?
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 06-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

Going off of Yoshi I'm still waiting for it to go away. *she is 7*

I mean I get longer periods when she is an angel but its still there just waiting for the opportunity to whip it out. She hasn't really gotten 'better' about it just gotten 'smarter' about when she acts out.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Love My Mutt <3

It ends?

ETA: in all seriousness, it sounds like she's just always given something to do, and isn't being taught how to relax and what you expect her to do

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
It ends?
I've heard rumors it does.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

11 months, pretty much on the nose, for Gusto. He's still a total crackhead, because that's what he is, but I no longer stress about "did I leave my room open? Is he getting into something?" He can stay home loose in the house for 4 or 5 hours if he has had proper exercise the day before (he might even be able to do longer, I'm still stressing about that!). There was just this one day where I realized I hadn't had issues with him for a few days, and that was it.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Blackout

Thanks everyone! Katalin is only 8 Months on the 3rd. So we have abit to go LOL Kuvasz are slow to mature and quite clownish anyway - their particular key to not causing mischief is just enough exercise, draining of excess energy, and enough of a mental challenge to satisfy their working instinct. She gets out a few hours a day at least, has a yard to run to her hearts content in, and we are on a weekly training program with daily homework and possibly something similar to schutzhund in the near future. But all of what I said applies pretty much across the board to any sort of dog - so I guess it's just a matter of her growing up/maturing then.

Jess, We are working on that - getting her very excited and riled up then winding down gradually...
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 06-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Top Dog

Katalin is still pretty young...you may have some serious brat left!

Bailey could be left loose in the house when he was about five, but it's drastically different for many dogs!

One thing that helps with the curs sometimes is to ensure that they get some time where they are expected to entertain themselves. We'll start off this "free-play" time in an x-pen or gated room until we can trust them in the house not causing trouble. It helps to teach them that they they can't *NEED* to be with us all the time (we love them, but it's really hard to do anything with a 60-pound pig dog in your lap...).

Does she get any structured exercise outside the yard (do you run/walk her?)?

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 06-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Love My Mutt <3

oh I should add, Rosey was able to be free in the house once she hit 7 or so... as long as she has 4 hours of exercise (swimming/hiking/walking)

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-30-2012, 09:33 PM
*Now with Snark*

Willow turned 3. Most of the papillons about 2.5.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Top Dog

Yoshi is crated because once she learned how to open doors/the fridge/the freezer and how to turn on the shower it was the only thing we could do and still let her stay inside.