Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Sport Model Pug

In my breed it's often used to brush off why people dedicate whole rooms as bathrooms for their pugs (young, old, whatever, they **** inside) or why they won't come outside when it's above 15C or why they won't let their dog off leash or why they won't let their dog do agility or anything active. You see what i'm getting at here, it's more of an avoidance thing in my breed but it's also snobbish in a way too. Pugs are just too special and fragile to be normal dogs.

Besides the fact that Izzie and I enjoy doing things together, the snobbiness of Pug people is a major reason we do what we do.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 06-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
In my breed it's often used to brush off why people dedicate whole rooms as bathrooms for their pugs (young, old, whatever, they **** inside) or why they won't come outside when it's above 15C or why they won't let their dog off leash or why they won't let their dog do agility or anything active. You see what i'm getting at here, it's more of an avoidance thing in my breed but it's also snobbish in a way too. Pugs are just too special and fragile to be normal dogs.

Besides the fact that Izzie and I enjoy doing things together, the snobbiness of Pug people is a major reason we do what we do.
I think it's similar in the Yorkie world. Sounds the same! lol.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Top Dog

It irritates me a lot when people say I'm not suitable for xyz dog. Especially having met me for 10 minutes, how do you know what is suitable and not for me.

The worst one I've gotten was because you have a Papillon, a TOY dog, there's no way a herding breed would be suitable to you. That really pissed me off, plus his dog was the one harassing mine while mine was playing fetch and stealing all our tennis balls without dropping it when asked.

It bothers me coming from people that don't know me. It's as if I met someone on the street, talk to them for 10 min and said you can't be a teacher, or mom, because you're not fit for it.

If it's coming from someone that knows me pretty well, knows what I want/am used to then no it doesn't bother me.

I've never said Papillons are not like other dogs ever to anyone. When people ask me what they're like I do tell them they're energetic for small dogs, but not extraordinarily different.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Top Dog

Yeah there's a wide variation in dogs but a dog is still a dog. I like how Paige described it.

I have no problem with people saying "yeah they're pretty intense compared to most dogs out there." If you made a "dog intensity" graph most e.g. Malinois are going to fall in, I dunno the 90th percentile. So I don't think it is an erroneous statement to make.

That said it does rub me the wrong way when people try and pump their breed up as "dog gods" or something similar. It just silly. Or when I hear stories like Michiyo-Fir's. Go ahead and tell someone your opinion of a breed but the snobbish elitist bs we can do without thanks!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Lets be honest, Shamoo is better than most dogs. There is nothing elitist about a true statement.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:31 PM
*Now with Snark*

I have no problem with saying X breed isn't like a generic dog because often times they're not. We can accept that some breeds tend to be born of the yap stick, fetch, love water, herd inanimate objects, point, bay, howl, chortle (I think that's what that basenji noise is), heel anything walking, tend to be dog aggressive, are cat like or love everyone but for some reason we can't say that X breed is like any other dog? I have no issue with this... but at the same time you can't say that your dog isn't a dog at heart.

I think not pointing out what makes breeds special and different is a disservice to them.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
I have no problem with saying X breed isn't like a generic dog because often times they're not. We can accept that some breeds tend to be born of the yap stick, fetch, love water, herd inanimate objects, point, bay, howl, chortle (I think that's what that basenji noise is), heel anything walking, tend to be dog aggressive, are cat like or love everyone but for some reason we can't say that X breed is like any other dog? I have no issue with this... but at the same time you can't say that your dog isn't a dog at heart.

I think not pointing out what makes breeds special and different is a disservice to them.
But what is a "generic" dog? The thing is, by saying that, you are imposing your thoughts of a "generic" dog on everybody else.

Ask 10 people what a "generic" or "ideal" dog is, you'll get different answers.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Glutton for Crazy

A dog that is easy to walk, leave home loose, take on a picnic, take to the park, will bark but not attack, friendly, active but not annoying, etc. That is the "ideal" for most of my clients.

My ideal differs a bit but mostly I agree with my clients, I want all of that and more in biddability and stamina and work ethic. However, Arnold and Shamoo are pretty much "your normal dogs" if you don't pay attention to their dog v dog interactions.

I understand what you're saying though. I also believe Kat is right to say that refraining from describing and distinguishing each breed is doing an injustice.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
Mexidogs aren't exactly a "breed", but I think those of us on this board that own Mexidogs would probably agree that they are not like other dogs. Sure they are dogs and you will find similarities between them and other dogs, but in their own way they are way different than "your average dog".
I would agree with this. I think it's the primitiveness of the type that makes them "different" than most dogs you meet on a daily basis.

Cricket, Talla and Siren are from a feral population.... and their ancestors have been feral for hundreds of years. So they're scary smart and resourceful.... "wily" is a good word for it. There's a duality to everything with Mexidogs - they're like walking contradictions of themselves! I find their interactions with people fascinating, because they have a deep rooted instinct telling them that they need people, but they shouldn't trust people.

They grow up fast - they spend very little time being puppies, because in their natural habitat.... puppies don't survive long. Through natural selection, their maturation (physically and mentally) has changed to favor dogs that grow up very fast. Only the cunning ones - the ones built for ultimate survival on the fringes of society - live long enough to reproduce... which is somewhat sad, but also VERY cool when you stop to think about it. And not something that is mirrored in many other (if any) established dog breeds.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-30-2012, 11:32 PM
such sights to show you

Honestly I do find it kind of annoying. For one thing, saying "X breed is not like other dogs!" is sort of lumping all other breeds together. There's X, and everything else. Meanwhile, owners of breed Y and breed Z are saying the same thing... it just reminds me of the "we're ALL special!!!!" kind of thing. Not all breeds are like each other, or we wouldn't have breeds. But there is NO breed so special that it is unlike all other breeds.

It annoys me even more if there is a stated or implied "only X kind of person can handle owning Y kind of breed." I think any truly dedicated owner who is willing to be flexible can handle owning almost any kind of breed.