About 1 million people have no power here

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
yikes. I hope they get power back to everyone soon. I don't know what it is about our little area of our town but they are incredibly efficient with the power. it almost NEVER goes out and if it does it's very brief. Even when Irene came through last year and we were flooded all over the place we never lost power. it's remarkable really.

Praying the power and sanity is restored for everyone soon :)

did you guys end up getting any storms last night? We were supposed to but didn't get anything. We had lots of plans yesterday so I told Hannah she better pray for no rain so we can go see the fireworks. She said "Can we pray right now?" LOL so we prayed for God to hold off the rain so we could have a full day of fun. When evening came Hannah says "Hey... it didnt' rain. My prayer WORKED" haha cute. so we never did end up getting any rain or anything and it cooled down to a glorious temp last night.

LindaJD

We never lose power here, might have flickered once or twice the last 20 years and I would complain about having to reset the clocks, but last October we were hit with a bad snowstorm and lost power for 5 days. The thing I missed the most was my hair dryer. I would walk into work and my friends would just look and say "no power yet huh?"
We had a fire going in the fireplace and gas stove so we could cook. I put my perishables on the back deck to stay cold so we really didn't suffer too much. My husband would bring our laptops to work to charge so at night we could watch movies.

I hope you get your power back soon.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Just got off work. Apparently when one of my coworkers did a night check last night he noticed someone peering in through the front window with a flashlight. So creepy! Why would someone do that? I mean seriously!

This morning we got through our shift pretty well considering we had no power. One of my coworkers was able to use his car to power fans into the building to keep dogs cool while we worked. We had nothing to chain the generator to outside so I think that got taken back to my boss's house for now.

GipsyQueen

My friend in Lynchburg just emailed me that she's been out of power as well :eek: I guess the power outage is pretty wide spread. She drove down to NC to her parents because it's soo hot. ^^

CaliTerp07

Just got power back tonight! Gahhh, so hot we can't go upstairs. It was 85 on the main level of the house when it came back on, and probably 5+ degrees warmer upstairs. A/C is working overtime to try to cool it down so we can sleep.

The power company guys are the unsung first responders of storms. I can't even imagine--it was over 100* here today, but they were all out working overtime fixing outages. What a thankless job.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I drove through WV yesterday and hit a stretch of road about 60-80 miles long that had no gas because there was either no power for the pumps or the gas had been sold out at the few with power. o_O The intersections with the highway I was on were scary with no lights, too.

On the plus side, I saw 4-6 NC power trucks heading north on that same drive. :)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
A few people I know have gotten power back. So many are still without though including my job. I've seen a bunch of power company vehicles driving around to fix things though and I couldn't imagine having that job in this heat right now.

Has anyone heard if its going to cool down a little anytime soon?

K

Kaydee

One warning on generators-candles+lit cigarettes+gas generator can equal very, very bad thing. We had a blackout last year and a friend we shall call Beevis set up the generator...with a cigarette hanging from his mouth the whole time.

I was watching from a distant window praying the end would be fast and painless...obviously we're all still here but anyway...oh and try to keep as much ventilation as possible, the exhaust on them old gas generators is ghastly

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Yeah, I was away for a wedding in Southern NJ when the storm hit (storm was Friday night, Saturday was the wedding). My friend was FREAKING OUT. Obviously, there was not going to be power for her wedding, and there was none in the hotel we were staying at, too (where we were supposed to get hair and makeup done, so we all got cold showers and drove to Ocean City, NJ for hair/makeup - took an hour when it should have taken 20 mins).

Her new husband's father's boss drove a generator down from PA for the venue, and we had the wedding after all. It was a bit of a miracle LOL. But BOY was it HOT and a bit dark. They didn't have a powerful enough generator for the whole place (it was a HUGE hall with a ballroom and everything) so we were put in a smaller room and there was no lighting in the bride/groom suites. Finding things and getting ready without power was interesting.

Anyway, I hope you get power soon! I'm pretty sure it's still not back on in the town the wedding was at :(

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
Just got power back tonight! Gahhh, so hot we can't go upstairs. It was 85 on the main level of the house when it came back on, and probably 5+ degrees warmer upstairs. A/C is working overtime to try to cool it down so we can sleep.
We ran upstairs yesterday to grab some clothes. OMG. I could barely breathe.

The intersections with the highway I was on were scary with no lights, too.
That's been the creepiest part to me. Driving along a huge highway and everything is just black. It's so odd.

Has anyone heard if its going to cool down a little anytime soon?
I think it's supposed to get hotter as the week goes on. :(

One warning on generators-candles+lit cigarettes+gas generator can equal very, very bad thing. We had a blackout last year and a friend we shall call Beevis set up the generator...with a cigarette hanging from his mouth the whole time.

I was watching from a distant window praying the end would be fast and painless...obviously we're all still here but anyway...oh and try to keep as much ventilation as possible, the exhaust on them old gas generators is ghastly
Generators are diesel, so it shouldn't really be a problem. It isn't going to ignite.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
First of all... Power is back on at work thank goodness.

There are TONS of people still without power though and a lot of traffic lights are still out.

Here is what I just heard over the news. 3 million people lost power from the storm. About a million have had power restored but there's still a lot of work to be done. The death toll right now is at 22. I also heard that people from all over are coming out to help clean up the damages and restore power. They named a crew from GA that's helping and also apparently some Canadian utility workers and electrical companies tricked out here to help us out. Thank you SO much!!!

They are calling for more thunderstorms but as of right now they don't think they will be anywhere near as bad as Friday night's storm. They said the humidity is rising though which is bad for people still without power though as far as I know there are some cooling centers that opened up so people can stay cool. They don't know when we will have a break with this heat wave.

I can't even really walk my dogs right now. We go outside long enough for them to do their business and then rush back inside because its too hot.

Panzerotti

Just showed up at work. I'm the ONLY living soul in the entire shopping center and I'm actually scared to go inside.

Here's a photo I just snapped. That's the Dunkin Donuts and my dog daycare is to the left. All of these stores usually have night lights on, but now its pitch black.

Should I mention that I'm actually a little afraid of the dark? I have to go park behind the building since all the dogs were moved last night to our other building behind the shopping center. Oh and the neighborhood behind the shopping center isn't a great one exactly which makes me all the more chicken sh@t right now.
That is so creepy! I'm glad to hear you're getting power back. Everyone stay safe down there!

JacksonsMom

Yup, our power is still out over at my moms place. Thank goodness all weekend I had the house I was dogsitting at, and now tonight I am at my dads house, which is a bit farther away but they had it bad too and I very surprised his power stayed on.

Thank god your work power came back on Amber! What a pain!

Members online

No members online now.