Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Barb - you should see me brace myself when Shiva comes running toward me! 140+ pounds of pure exuberant affection that's much, much faster than other breeds of this size (I think it's the oversized rear-ends that give them the acceleration - necessary for hunting jaguar I'd guess!) . . . it really spikes the adrenal gland!

It's a good thing I'm 5'11" and spent all those years bodybuilding . . .

Just out of curiousity, where do Filas originate and what are they bred to do? They are so beautiful. I have never heard of them until I met you.

140 pounds! I can't imagine 140 pounds of loving dog on me! Brady tries to fit in my lap as it is, and that is hard enough. My husband's sister has a mastiff who LOVES females. He got in bed with me and my husband when we went to visit them in Boston and he snuggled his back up to me and used his four monster paws to literally push my hubby out of the bed. Seriously. LOL! It was so funny. And to think his sister used to date a guy who wasn't that crazy about dogs. Imagine. If you didn't like dogs the last person you should date is someone who has 130 pounds of one! Luckily she has found a great guy who loves all 130 pounds of her dog (and her!) and they are getting married next December.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:50 AM
Felurian

They're from Brazil (Fila Brasileiro) and the original breed goes back over 400 years. Educated speculation says there is some ancient Portuguese molosser, along with Bloodhound back there in the ancestry, but the whole truth is lost somewhere back in the mists of time. They are fairly unique among the molossers, being herding dogs by instinct as well as guardians. Ojeriza, a marked distrust of strangers, is part of the breed, as is fearlessness and tenaciousness. They don't seem to feel pain as acutely as other dogs, and will instinctively relieve someone of anything they judge to be a weapon. On the other hand, they are the ultimate velcro dog. No one who doesn't want a dog that sticks right next to them 24-7 needs a Fila.

It's interesting that you noticed your sister-in-law's Mastiff loves females. That's a typical Mastiff trait. They're neat dogs, and most of the Mastiff breeds are much easier to live with in the house than small dogs. They're perfectly happy to be couch potatoes 85 percent of the time.

You might want to check out www.defenderfilas.com (that's where Kharma is from, out of Cagney and Gamble). www.molosserdogs.com is another great place to spend hours (and hours and hours) looking at all the "pretty little doggies" I've lost many hours there.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-14-2004, 08:47 AM
Love my pets

Renee, I know what you mean. I happen to be 5'10" and try to work out some. My husband is into weight lifting (6'4" and big) so he can handle Max's running leaps better than I can.

What would my house be like without all this chaos, boring!

Happy Holidays
Old 12-14-2004, 06:12 PM
Top Dog

Barb04 - What kind of dog is your Max, because I see some traits that Brady has in him. Brady has a similar tail, and body shape even though he is not as big, and something about the face on your max reminds me of Brady. Also, Brady is really long when he stands on his back two feet like the picture of Max on his back two feet. And then the picture of Max with your cat and the look on Max's face, he looks just like Brady when he makes that expression except Max is whiter. And Brady has these big paws with flecks of gold on the bottoms mixed with his white/light gold color. So just curious as to what type of dog Max is. Brady's mom looked like a lab mix, but she was black and only about 45 pounds. I never saw the dad, she just said he looked like a big golden retreiver. But Brady's ears and tail do not say golden retreiver.